GM Volt Forum banner

2013 Volt 1st battery 35,000 miles dead 2nd battery 30,000 miles dead

652 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  ama0787
Anyone else have batteries only lasting -36,000 miles
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Your typical drive? Your typical re-charge? Was the car left plugged in to power if it sat for a few days at a time?
Was the replacement battery new through a GM Chevy dealer or a used one through a third party?

I'm asking to see if I might be doing the same and potentially reducing the battery lifespan.

· Administrator
23,461 Posts
moved to Li-Ion Battery...

You bought a 2013 Volt in 2013 and have put on 36,000 miles through 2023 (about 4k miles per year)?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My daughter's car she plugged it in every night to the 110 volt charger and used it every day She hardly ever drives over 30 miles a day so it's almost always driven on the battery. The battery was replaced by a Chevrolet dealer just about 2 months before the battery went dead. I replaced the 12 volt engine battery at the same time and it's still good. Before the battery went out the first time it would say loss of propulsion. This time it said unable to charge batter. They are running diagnostics on the car tomorrow we're not 100% sure the battery is bad so I will update this when I get the final results.
moved to Li-Ion Battery...

You bought a 2013 Volt in 2013 and have put on 36,000 miles through 2023 (about 4k miles per year)?
No the car has 65,000 miles on it the battery under the car was replaced at 35,000 miles by the dealer so the new battery only has 30,000 miles on it and we're thinking it may bad it was down to 20 miles on a full charge. Not 100% the battery is bad decor is having diagnostics done tomorrow and I will post the results

· Registered
4,174 Posts
Having two batteries go out makes me think something else is causing this issue.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,379 Posts
Even 3-4 years ago, there weren't really new new batteries for 2013-14 model years. At the absolute best, it was unused old stock under unknown storage conditions sitting there for 5+ years, and more likely it was refurbished with mix-matched sections. Complely unknown provenance on that one then. Of course NOW, it's a decade old, and we don't have codes or cell read-outs or anything to even think about wondering about "else".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts