GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
Does anyone know where the part could be purchased cheaper than $313?
If only there was an online garage sale type of store where people could buy and sell used items including auto parts. An electronic "bay" of some kind. :)

Alternatively, you could try to repair the fixture with silicone caulk applied to wherever the crack/gap is (probably on the top or sides). That's what I would do before spending some real money. If it works, you are good. If not, well you've got some practice removing the assembly for replacement.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If only there was an online garage sale type of store where people could buy and sell used items including auto parts. An electronic "bay" of some kind. :)

Alternatively, you could try to repair the fixture with silicone caulk applied to wherever the crack/gap is (probably on the top or sides). That's what I would do before spending some real money. If it works, you are good. If not, well you've got some practice removing the assembly for replacement.
Yes. That would be convenient. I did find a brand new genuine GM on ebay for $112. My Volt Advisor called and said send them the receipts after I have it installed. Perhaps they will reimburse part of the cost.

The other Volt is scheduled to get the tail light replaced under warranty. After looking very closely at the tail lights it does look like the outer clear lens becomes separated letting in more moisture than can effectively be removed through venting. Once I get the old one off I will be able to see more closely and perhaps come up with a permanent fix when it happens again. I guess they used post-it glue instead of Gorilla glue in the manufacture of these things.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It is my opinion that this is one of those things that should be covered regardless of your warranty status simply due to the number of tail lights it's happening to. Then again I had the same argument w/Ford on behalf of a friend and his fogged up Crown Victoria headlights as well. Eventually we were successful and Ford replaced them without charge.

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
It is my opinion that this is one of those things that should be covered regardless of your warranty status simply due to the number of tail lights it's happening to.
Because the number is so low?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Because the number is so low?
The service tech who replaced mine said the word was that there was a bad batch/bad adhesive and this was known "behind the scenes". If he was speaking the truth then GM should make it right regardless of warranty period.

If this were a purely cosmetic issue I wouldn't feel so strongly, but I think that the brake lights are a pretty basic and very important safety device and if they keep filling with water they will fail eventually, LED or not and since they ARE an LED module it's not like changing out a $8 socket and a $2 bulb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been trying to get my dealer "Camino Real Chevrolet" in Monterey Park, CA to fix it but they said the Extended warranty that I've purchased doesn't cover that. So be warn that when you guys get the contact from GM to purchase the Extended warranty, even they told you it's a B2B warranty, it's just bull****ing!!

I've try to have GM to contact them and they pretty much just said it's each individual deal's discretion to warranty it or not and they can't do any thing about it.

So either GM dosen't stand behind their products or the Dealership don't care plus the service advisor still have an attitude when we are conference called with GM corporate. At first they said it was the CHEVPP dosen't warrant the repair, and later the GM said the it's the Dealer's discretion dosen't warranty it.

I like the Volt and try to buy American's but this just turn me away and will advise all my friends and families to stay away too especially from the C.R.C. dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yea...I am another one who get to pay $658 Canadian to replace
Volt 2013 with a water filled undamaged left rear tail light, at
4 years, 10 months and 66,000 km

Of course, NOT covered by any warranty even my expensive
extended warranty plan

It was the same issue as reported before in the forum
by DUTCH OHM-RIDE

"As I understand it from the repair tech,
the seam had come unglued at the top inner edge,
right below where the "rain gutter" for the hatch dumps
all of it's runoff. It was a tiny gap, you could hardly
get a fingernail in there, but it was about
an inch long so basically anything coming down
that rain gutter was just pouring right into the
tail-light and the tiny vent hole(s) weren't
enough drain to keep up."

I ask for the tail light to take it home to inspect it for
the issue and yes the seal was broken, as noted above.

I contacted customer service at GM Canada and of course
they have never heard of this as an issue.

Come on GM, this a know manufacturing defect !

This has the best vehicle I have every owned, it is a shame
GM has dropped the ball on this one

GM Step up, and make good for the fix and refund my money !!!!!

One more thing, the GM tech cracked my right tail
while removing the bumper to replace the left tail
light. The dealer paid for that one.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Luckily, I caught mine before the 3/36 ran out and had them changed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My right taillight had water. I drilled a small 1/8" hole in from the hatch side to the bottom at about a 45 degree angle. After a week or two all the moisture was gone so I took a bit of paper towel and rolled it up and stuffed it in the hole with a toothpick as a filter against dust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I repaired my tail light as follows:
1. Remove Tail Light
2. Drill a couple holes to drain any sitting water. Used an air compressor to blow air through the holes and set out in the sun for a day.
Inked20190706_103318_LI.jpg
Inked20190706_103314_LI.jpg

3. Seal the drilled holes with silicon. (I contemplated leaving one open for a drain but decided against it since my goal was to get it water tight again). The vent for the light is located around the electrical connector, so it vents to the inside of the car...

4. I believe the water is coming in around the foam seal where the connector plugs in, so I placed some silicon where it looks like water is driaining down the side of the hatch to divert water away from the connector area.

5. I used silicon along the top of the light where the lens is attached to the body of the tail light assembly. It seemed pretty solid there, but since I had the silicon out anyway...
View attachment 158849

6. Upon re installation, I used some silicon on the surface of the foam where the tail light connector is located.
Inked20190706_103332_LI.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well darn. My 2013 has always been prone to having some "fog" in the tail lights after a heavy rain or if I run it through a car-wash.
I've read other threads and am aware that this is pretty typical, and in the past it has usually gone away after a little time with the lights on, or about 20-30 minutes of direct sunshine.

This morning I noted that my driver side tail light was REALLY wet inside (car parked in garage). Drove to work (in a fairly heavy rain) and now the bottom third of that light appears to actually be full of water.

I've never had the tail lights off/apart, does anyone know of a simple way to drain the light or am I just looking at a dealer visit?

thanks
Dutch.

EDIT: Photo of what it looks like after the water drained out, and a full day of sitting in the parking lot...
I fixed the issue in 5 minutes. I got a tiny drill bit and drilled a hole at the very bottom of the light where the most fluid would sit, and another at the top of the light. No more moisture problem.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts