GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
I can still recall as though it happened last week the gas pedal in my 1962 Karman Ghia cabriolet (my first car) not returning to an idle position as I drove out of the Bad Aibling Kaserne on a very cold January morning. I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and the engine made like Phil Hill coming out of the Tertre Rouge onto the Mulsanne Straight. I quickly shifted to neutral to prevent further acceleration. I couldn’t get the toe of my shoe under the pedal and so I had to reach down to pull it by hand, momentarily losing the view of the road. My biggest fear was that the MPs would come after me for making so much noise (I was just beyond the gate house). My theory was that ice had formed inside the cable sheath, grabbing hold of the stranded cable. This happened in 1963 so the car was almost a year old at that point.

Although my days of enjoying a shift car have long since died (my last car having stick shift was the 1984 Toyota Camry), there are one or two instances where pushing the clutch pedal to the floor is advantageous. 8^)

·
Registered
62 Posts
A similar thing happened to SWMBO yesterday. Fortunately she was able to stop safely and rectify the situation.

Her story:
She is not the primary driver of this 2013 Volt.
Driving down a 65 mph 2-lane road possibly with ERDTT on, but she was not sure.
Pull into the oncoming traffic lane to pass a slow moving piece of farm equipment.
'Floor It'
After the pass, the Volt continues to accelerate despite taking her foot off the Go pedal.
Brakes are able to slow the Volt, but it accelerates again when foot is lifted ( indicates that it is not unintentional cruise control? ).
Pull off and stop on shoulder by braking HARD.
Power off, check underwear, adjust floor mat ( no idea if it was the cause or not ), power on, and drive off as normal.

The floor mats are cheap after-market carpet types with no active anchors. These could have been the cause, but we have no way to know.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Looks like the OP never came back with an answer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
AFAIK there have been a million claims of unintended acceleration and zero confirmed cases of it. I was with my wife a few months ago and witnessed a similar event. Quite scary since it's so unexpected. Unintended acceleration just means the driver didn't mean to accelerate, not that the car did. Your wife hit the accelerator rather than the brake pedal, and pressing hard made the wheels spin. Not a big deal. Accidents happen. People aren't perfect. Happily in this case there was no harm done.

The one instance where the Volt might give the impression of unintended acceleration is if it hits a slippery surface -- could be ice or a metal plate in the road -- and regen kicks out. You feel as if the car is accelerating but it's not, it's just slowing less quickly because regen is gone. Pressing the brake harder is the Rx for this.
This happened on the VOLTS much bigger brother

on my Tahoe HY2 01/08 build date she started accelerating while coming to a stop the Engine revved up to 1500 RPM (WHICH IS A LOT FOR A V8 engine 1500 is a hard acceleration (at lest for me )since I tend to keep it NO higher then 12-1300 to save fuel on normal freeway speed )
then went into sleep mode. (Auto Stop) it went from 10mph to 15MPH on the speedometer suddenly (letting regeneration scoop up some power before i stopped at the light)

I guarantee you 100% I did NOT press the gas pedal other wise it WOULD HAVE NOT gone into Auto STOP....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize these posts are at least a year old, but will add here in case it is of help to anyone. Currently own a 2011 Chevy Volt ~78k miles had since 25k bought used 2014. I have experienced a very slight but definite acceleration after foot was completely OFF the gas pedal. I know 100% my foot was not on the gas; the acceleration is literally milliseconds, but you can hear the battery sound and everything (the acceleration sound). Of course Chevy service advisor was wide-eyed when I mentioned it casually and said they would have to replicate etc I said don't worry about it as I have not had issues. It IS a real phenomenon though, and not caused by accidental foot action or floor mat getting stuck.

·
Administrator
20,097 Posts
I realize these posts are at least a year old, but will add here in case it is of help to anyone. Currently own a 2011 Chevy Volt ~78k miles had since 25k bought used 2014. I have experienced a very slight but definite acceleration after foot was completely OFF the gas pedal. I know 100% my foot was not on the gas; the acceleration is literally milliseconds, but you can hear the battery sound and everything (the acceleration sound). Of course Chevy service advisor was wide-eyed when I mentioned it casually and said they would have to replicate etc I said don't worry about it as I have not had issues. It IS a real phenomenon though, and not caused by accidental foot action or floor mat getting stuck.
Are you referring to the "creep" function? If you take your foot off the accelerator and off the brake the car will creep forward. This replicates an ICE driver experience.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
667 Posts
try this one
2016 volt
set your cruise control at a speed , say 70 mph
hit your brakes and slow down to say 45 mph
take your foot of the brake and then hit resume
car will start to accelerate at a constant to resume speed
but before you hit that speed , push the button to reduce set speed
the car will take off at full acceleration for as long as you push that button
dont know if it slows down once it reaches speed
but i can see the car doing an acceleration thing if the cruise switches are dirty

21 - 28 of 28 Posts