GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropping in to say my 2013 Volt with 110,000 miles (175,000 km) is still going strong. I had a problem with no heat on battery very early on, fixed under warranty. Since then I’ve done three oil changes and rear brakes once.

I used to visit this forum regularly back when the car was new and for a few years afterward.

It’s become just sort of a regular car to me now and I don’t really think about it much. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just been so good to me I haven’t needed to think about it.

Years later people still ask me about it and say that they plan to get a full electric car “someday.”

Good to see @Steverino is still here!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks for coming back for a visit! Seems like all we hear about in this forum is problems, problems, and more problems. It's refreshing to hear from a Volt owner like you that is going strong with over 100K miles and no major issues. I've only had my 2015 Volt for less than 2 years, but it's been the best car I've ever owned!

Reactions: CeeW and Breezy

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
676 Posts
My sister has a 2011. Might be one of the only 2011s in Canada, and was probably the first. She bought it when it was a couple years old, it was owned by a US diplomat that brought it up to Canada. Yes, we didn't get the Volt until 2012. It is still going strong. It's had a rear caliper, a few oil changes (I did one last month), and a wheel bearing. A good car, can't believe it's ten years old now! Still running fine on the battery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I’ve only put about 36k on my 2017, but I learned so much about the Volt (including the 1st gens) here on the forums, that when it came time to shop for a first car for my son...I bought him a 2013
with about 52k on it that was in pretty good shape! So, now we’re a two Volt household. It’s a little cold here right now, but the guesstimeter on it has been up to 46 and he’s gotten 40+ all electric miles out of it a few times now. I did have to get the O2 sensor replaced in my 2017, but it was done under warranty. Other than that though...no issues at all.

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
9-1/2 years and going strong on my 2011.

Reactions: Breezy

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for coming back for a visit! Seems like all we hear about in this forum is problems, problems, and more problems. It's refreshing to hear from a Volt owner like you that is going strong with over 100K miles and no major issues. I've only had my 2015 Volt for less than 2 years, but it's been the best car I've ever owned!
It's only natural to post when there's a problem looking for a solution or frequency correlation, so we're going to see more of those. This said, 7.5 years and 110,000 miles is not a big deal for any modern car. For me 10 years and 200,000 is what I'm looking for, and I can get that easily with other vehicles. What I'm interested in seeing is the results of the first Volts which are now just reaching the 9-10 year range, that have significant miles on them. It's easy to have older car with low mileage.

Reactions: Breezy

·
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn’t trying to claim some sort of record here, lol. But I will say this has been among the most trouble-free cars I’ve owned in 75 car-years of vehicle ownership. Best has actually been the F-150, worst was a Toyota.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have to say ours are coming up on that 10 year mark pretty quick. While neither of them have long miles on the they seem to be the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have to say ours are coming up on that 10 year mark pretty quick. While neither of them have long miles on the they seem to be the most reliable cars I have ever owned.
Unfortunately for me, the opposite has been true. My 2017 has had more days in the shop than any other car I've owned within it's first 4 years. Hence I'm interested in seeing some long term, high mileage data where the car was used as intended (i.e. fully charged each night).

With the exception of the 2014 Volt lease, I've previously kept all my vehicles until they've hit the 10 year old mark, at a minimum.

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Unfortunately for me, the opposite has been true. My 2017 has had more days in the shop than any other car I've owned within it's first 4 years. Hence I'm interested in seeing some long term, high mileage data where the car was used as intended (i.e. fully charged each night).

With the exception of the 2014 Volt lease, I've previously kept all my vehicles until they've hit the 10 year old mark, at a minimum.
My volt is at 7 years, CTS is 16, Suburban is 25 years old. I’ve spend a lifetime driving cars into the ground. But soon I will be buying a new car, and probably not putting any miles on it at all. One more doubling of the 401(k) then I’ll be buying whatever I damn well please.

I havemy eye on a Lyriq, and when I get that, I’ll be giving away the cars to friends and family. And ifwe have another year like 2020 on the investment perspective (not the politics and pandemic) then a Tesla Roadster 2.0 could be in the cards.

Reactions: SkipperHugh

·
Registered
360 Posts
Nice to see some of the old names here! I haven't logged in for at least a couple of years. My 2014 is now at 244900 km. I've had a few oil changes, probably averaging 1 per year. Right rear damper, right drive half-shaft (torn boot), some collision and stupidity damage repaired, right front wheel bearing. 1 full brake replacement due to corrosion from lack of use. That's about it for maintenance and repair. I still get 60 km in summer and 40 in winter. I aim to keep driving it for at least another 5 or so years, then get something without an engine. But it needs to have a reliable 600 km winter range, so I'm hoping for continuing battery improvements... or a lottery win for a Roadster. :)

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
... or a lottery win for a Roadster. :)
Just need another big year or two in 401(k) growth like the last two years, and the Roadster would be within grasp.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just dropping in to say my 2013 Volt with 110,000 miles (175,000 km) is still going strong. I had a problem with no heat on battery very early on, fixed under warranty. Since then I’ve done three oil changes and rear brakes once.

I used to visit this forum regularly back when the car was new and for a few years afterward.

It’s become just sort of a regular car to me now and I don’t really think about it much. That’s not a bad thing, it’s just been so good to me I haven’t needed to think about it.

Years later people still ask me about it and say that they plan to get a full electric car “someday.”

Good to see @Steverino is still here!
I participate here in digest mode, so I'm just seeing this thread. But like others have already said, it's good to hear from happy owners.

Like you, our original Volt is a 2013. But we got lucky and found a great 2014 that had never been smoked in with < 32K on the odometer exactly 1 year ago this week. The black Volt is the 2013 with >125K on the odometer because it has taken us through all of the lower-48 States including Pikes Peak in CO and Mt. Washington in NH.

Both have all of the options that were available for those model years. The 2014 [Silver] also has the Calif. emissions pkg. - which I don't need in Texas. Due to Covid-19, we've only driven a combined 6.3K miles between them in the last 12 months.

Happy Trails!

Norm

·
Registered
2013 Volt 102,000 miles
8 Posts
I wish I could say the same about my Volt. I've been stranded too many times and I just got out of warranty last month. Can I repair it myself as easily as GM full size?

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I wish I could say the same about my Volt. I've been stranded too many times and I just got out of warranty last month. Can I repair it myself as easily as GM full size?
Brake pads, oil changes, and spark plugs...yes. High voltage drivetrain system... probably not. Sensors, are doable if you have the diagnostic tools and repair instructions

·
Registered
11 Posts

It’s become just sort of a regular car to me now and I don’t really think about it much.
1610839300290.png
1610839300290.png
I hope my 2013 lasts too. As you can see, I have invested a lot of sweat-equity into promoting it.
Mainly I tout the use of it as a backup energy for the house when the grid goes down.

The plywood sidecurtains make the roof flat for the 240W worth of solar panels. This is just for show, since he Volt
can power the house (at about 1 kW) for hours or days. See The FrankenVolt (aprs.org)
Bob

·
Registered
CHEVY Malibu
1 Posts
I hope my 2013 lasts too. As you can see, I have invested a lot of sweat-equity into promoting it.
Mainly I tout the use of it as a backup energy for the house when the grid goes down.
View attachment 171732
The plywood sidecurtains make the roof flat for the 240W worth of solar panels. This is just for show.since he Volt
can power the house (at about 1 kW) for hours or days. See The FrankenVolt (aprs.org)
Bob
I have a 2011 model volt and it was 235000 km. I am very satisfied and do not intend to sell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts