GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who are unaware, the only way to fix the “Service High Voltage Charging System” error is to reprogram the BECM and HPCM2 modules (even if nothing is inherently wrong with the vehicle). This can be accomplished by purchasing a VCX Nano and SPS2 subscription from ACDelco TDS. GM recently discontinued SPS and replaced it with SPS2, so many of the guides are outdated. I recently reprogrammed the BECM and HPCM2 modules on my Volt and made a video and guide. Hopefully, it will be useful for anyone with the same problem.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
common problem on having to reprogram the BECM and HPCM2 ( because of lock out code ) is low battery coolant level or float switch problem ( the switch or the wires ) or the sensor has come loose.

some report old coolant fluid may report a glitch on a high voltage test when charging on a very HOT day.

----
we really need to push for removing some of these lock out codes in the software.

or an easy to use hardware box to re-flash the BECM and HPCM2

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2015 MS 85D
6 Posts
Thank you so much for this! My 2013's been sitting in front of our house for three weeks while I've been trying to sort out how to do this now that they've switched to TLC.

One question that didn't seem to be covered in the guide that I wanted to ask about. I've purchased the SPS2 subscription for a single VIN but have not yet figured out how to actually enter the VIN of my car; when I click on "view" next to the SPS option it pops open a new tab, flashes "you are not authorized to view this page" for a few moments, and then presents the "launch techline connect" screen. When I do so TLC shows the "checking lease" screen and then reports "the maximum number of client installations is exceeded for your user ID (please contact support)".

Is that something you encountered when you were setting up your subscription with your car's VIN? If so, do you recall the magic incantation required to actually enter & associate a VIN?

If not then I suppose I'll go ahead and do what the message tells me, but first I figured I'd check.

Thanks again for this, it's exactly what I needed!

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for this! My 2013's been sitting in front of our house for three weeks while I've been trying to sort out how to do this now that they've switched to TLC.

One question that didn't seem to be covered in the guide that I wanted to ask about. I've purchased the SPS2 subscription for a single VIN but have not yet figured out how to actually enter the VIN of my car; when I click on "view" next to the SPS option it pops open a new tab, flashes "you are not authorized to view this page" for a few moments, and then presents the "launch techline connect" screen. When I do so TLC shows the "checking lease" screen and then reports "the maximum number of client installations is exceeded for your user ID (please contact support)".

Is that something you encountered when you were setting up your subscription with your car's VIN? If so, do you recall the magic incantation required to actually enter & associate a VIN?

If not then I suppose I'll go ahead and do what the message tells me, but first I figured I'd check.

Computer Rectangle Azure Operating system Font

So you can't get to this screen after launching TLC? I didn't encounter that problem when I did it. Everything you described is normal up until that point. Are you using a virtual machine? If you are, I would create a new virtual machine (File > New Virtual Machine) and try following the steps again (you can start from Step 4) and see if it fixes itself. If you're not using a virtual machine, you probably should.

Once you're in TLC, you'll get a pop-up that asks if you want to use the car's VIN with your subscription slot. I think it comes up after you click "next" (around the 20:00 mark in the video). I already did this before I made the video so the video doesn't show it. I honestly forgot about that part because I made the video a week after I reprogrammed my car. I'll edit the guide and include it.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2015 MS 85D
6 Posts
Yeah, I'm running into this before ever getting to that screen. And yeah, can confirm I'm doing this all under VMs; I've tried on Win8 Pro as well as Win10 Pro. I've also tried wired ethernet via our regular cable internet as well as trying it tethered to LTE via my phone. The VM software is qemu on Linux, so my current theory is that this is somehow related to using that instead of VMWare. Even the two folks I spoke to on their support line seemed stumped, they didn't even seem to recognize the error message!

I'm about to break out tcpdump and wireshark; hopefully I emerge mostly unscathed. :D

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ooof. No luck with wireshark, naturally all the comms between TLC and the mothership are via SSL. :/
I just found this after some searching. On page 6 of the PDF, it says: "With all TIS2Web subscriptions, ACDelco has recently implemented a new security process. Users are issued three licenses per subscription ID. This process is similar to many other types of software licenses, including many from other aftermarket service information providers. If the three licenses have been used on three PCs, error “E5529: The maximum number of client installations is exceeded for your user ID (please contact support)!” will be displayed when trying to use an application in TIS2Web on a fourth PC. The other three PCs will continue to have access to TIS2Web. Additional licenses can be released under various circumstances, such as when a service center has updated the PC operating systems or PC hardware. Contact the ACDelco eBusiness Helpdesk at 1-800-825-5886, prompt #3, for assistance."

I'm not sure what you should do since their support doesn't even know what you're talking about. You could create another account with ACDelco but you already bought the SPS2 subscription. Maybe you can try to get a refund since you didn't use it though. It's weird because I never encountered this problem despite using multiple VMs trying to get it to work. Did you ever have any success with it or did you always get that error? Also, maybe you should try using VMware and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2015 MS 85D
6 Posts
Well, I just gave in and tried creating a new account, paid another $40, and right out of the gate on the first attempt I got the same error. I guess I'll be giving them another call tomorrow!

When it went to launch TLC under the new username I did double-check the command that it was running (under "more details" on the popup windows gave) and it was definitely using the new username, too. Utterly bizarre...

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just gave in and tried creating a new account, paid another $40, and right out of the gate on the first attempt I got the same error. I guess I'll be giving them another call tomorrow!

When it went to launch TLC under the new username I did double-check the command that it was running (under "more details" on the popup windows gave) and it was definitely using the new username, too. Utterly bizarre...
Wow, that's unfortunate. Hopefully support will actually be able to help you. I have no idea why yours isn't working. Did you try using VMware instead of QEMU to see if it makes a difference?

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2015 MS 85D
6 Posts
Bingo! VMWare did the trick. I wasn't expecting very good odds that it'd make a difference but apparently there's something about qemu that trips up the license check. By the time this beast finishes installing it'll be too late to go out and try reprogramming the car, so that'll have to wait until tomorrow...

Thanks again for your writeup and for your help!

·
Registered
32 Posts

You need to go into the nano software you installed and look at the licensing expiration date…you most likely just need to click the tab for a new license and the date should update then you should be good to go

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have successfully reprogrammed my HPCM2 several times. I'm trying to figure out the new TechLine Connect software has been challenging to connect using the Nano.

I just found Bit1817's post above, and am grateful for it :)

Here's the error that keeps holding me up when requesting to connect using the Nano:
Font Screenshot Rectangle Terrestrial plant Parallel

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have successfully reprogrammed my HPCM2 several times. I'm trying to figure out the new TechLine Connect software has been challenging to connect using the Nano.

Here's the error that keeps holding me up when requesting to connect using the Nano: View attachment 173378

Here's the error that keeps holding me up when requesting to connect using the Nano: View attachment 173378
You probably need to create a new virtual machine and try again. Try following the steps as closely as possible. If you aren't using a virtual machine, you'll have to uninstall all the programs and drivers before trying again. I encountered an error like this before I figured out how to get it to work reliably. There might be another way to fix it but your best bet is to just start over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts