GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Personally I use 303 Aerospace Protectant

http://www.303products.com/303r-aerospace-protectant-32oz.html

I don't remember when I bought this, ages ago. Someone on a forum for another car that I used to own recommended it to recondition the seals on the moon roof or something. Bought it, works great. Is it just Armor All? Maybe. Kinda smells like it. But it says it's special. I spray that stuff on a rag, and then rub the rag on the floor and door plastic and it gets rid of the scuff marks that I make. I'll bet normal armor all would work too. Unless you have scratched INTO the plastic.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Anyone had any success with removing shoe scuff marks from the door & speaker areas?:(
What do you suggest to remove the scuff marks?
Interior cleaner /UV protector Meguairs ,

if it's really black - then the risky option which usually works out well for me ....
K&H Black vinyl paint - I spay it onto a rag and then quickly wipe over the area.

Otherwise try back some to "back to black " type trim paste - some are messier so it's trial and errors

In my Old Commodore this happened all the time with the oldies - so I found the above "remedies"

If it's not scratched in - even touchup guys who do dash repairs (Vynl type repaints) are worth a try.

Hopefully the local answers will help ..

Cheers,
Martin

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the scuffs are just a bit of dirt off of something, any good quality interior cleaner will work (Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer is pretty good for basic cleaning and protecting and leaves no Armor All residues). But, and this is why I don't like the plastics that GM uses, if the scuff is actually a scuff (i.e. the plastic is marred), nothing will "get it off". You can cover it with some things and it'll look good for a while but you can't actually fix it short of buying a new piece of plastic. Been there done that. I'm absolutely insane about my cars. Inside and out. Have been for many, many years. Those scuffs you talk about drive me nuts. So I do everything in my power to keep from scuffing the interiors. I've gone so far as make dealers replace the plastics when their techs scuff them up badly with their work boots. Anal? Yes, yes I am thank you. :)

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I was introduced to Mr Clean's Magic Eraser on the Corvette Forum. These type A anal retentive CORVETTE OWNERS swear by this thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've used the Magic Eraser (actually, the Home Depot branded version of these) on this exact spot in my Volt. Worked perfectly.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It will get the scratches out?! OMG, if that's true I owe those Anal Retentive Corvette Owners (i.e. ARCO, heh) a debt of gratitude. I'll have to try that the next time I get one.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
I've used the Magic Eraser (actually, the Home Depot branded version of these) on this exact spot in my Volt. Worked perfectly.
Light scuffing can likely be removed or lessened. It will depend on the severity of the "mar". At some point a mar or scuff is a gouge and a gouge can't be buffed away.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Where can I find Mr Clean magic eraser locally. My 2013 has those scratches on the drivers door by the lower speaker grill. The fracking idiots before me that test drove the car did not know how to hold door open w the arm. I hate it every time I see it getting out of the car. Ugh!

Ian B

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can get them at any food chain store, KMart, Walmart and the like. Most of the dollar stores have their own brand. We use them for various things around the house.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a little late on this, but, I'm fairly new to this forum. I was bothered by the scratches on the lower door panel, too. So I attached a 3" wide strip of carbon graphic tape that's used for door sills along the lower edge, and it's surprising how many times you rub your foot on this ares, but wipes right off without scratching . also, blends right in with the black door panel.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
585 Posts
You can get magic eraser at any grocery store, hardware store, and even find generic cheap versions at dollar stores.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too do not like the scuffs on my 2018.

I am gonna try the eraser and some Meguires spray as well.

Also, I find it redic GM uses such cheap plastics on a $35k car that they scuff so easily.

(I know, battery costs, gotta cut somewhere, bla bla.....but still, c'mon man)

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
585 Posts
I too do not like the scuffs on my 2018.

I am gonna try the eraser and some Meguires spray as well.

Also, I find it redic GM uses such cheap plastics on a $35k car that they scuff so easily.

(I know, battery costs, gotta cut somewhere, bla bla.....but still, c'mon man)
Well... you could also stop dragging your feet across your car parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts