GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Not the best post to have to write, but seeking some advice. Last night I was rear ended while stopped at an intersection waiting for my light to turn green. The other driver was in a 2006 Silverado 1500. I can't say for certain but it appeared the driver had actually come to a stop behind me and when the light turned green for the left turn lane to go, but we still had a red to proceed through, I assume he "misread" the light and proceeded to run into the back of my car as I could distinctly hear his engine rev slightly just immediately before the impact. The damage to my car is minimal at first glance and unless you are looking specifically for it, you can't even really tell other than a little paint damage. His damage appears to be significant compared to mine including a mangled bumper and misplaced turn lamps as well as a damaged grill area.

His damage

20171113_192815.jpg 20171113_192808.jpg

My damage

20171114_110524.jpg 20171114_110507.jpg 20171114_110456.jpg

The car is paid off, has almost 113K, and aside from the minimal cosmetic damage which I could live with, is there anything that this impact would have potentially damaged that would need attention, or should I just take a cash offer and be on my way?

·
Registered
541 Posts
If it was me I'd take the repair money, not repair it, and keep driving it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats where I'm leaning. I just want to make sure there isn't anything critical that I need to be concerned about. I realize most of the HV stuff is well protected and in the middle of the car and this appears to be mainly cosmetic even though the impact was reasonably firm, it apparently wasn't enough to break any of the clips that hold the bumper cover in place. I would honestly say it was a 2-3 mph hit as it just looked seemed like the guy wasn't fully paying attention and bumped me. I'm sure there are bits of structure behind the bumper that were damaged or bent as well as the impact absorption material. A few years ago I had another car that was rear ended by a teen, but that was more serious damage involving a car that's 20 years old which I again just took the money and walked away with since a 20 year old car just isn't worth fixing, especially since it didn't impact how it drove and was really the whole car was only worth about $1500.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The things I would suspect:
1) Make sure all rear lighting works correctly in all modes (headlights, brakes, blinkers, 4-way flashers, reverse)
2) remove the tray under the cargo floor so you can see the area around the 12V battery, and the other gear around it. Make sure that all looks in order/no damage.
3) I had a similar accident in a VW hatchback, and it started leaking rain water into the cargo area. Once I realized the problem, I was able to seal up the problem area with caulk. But you definitely don't want water pooling in the area of your 12V battery, inverter, etc.
4) Sometimes a hard hit can mess up the wheel alignment in a way that cannot be corrected with a standard alignment job.

Otherwise, yes, I would probably keep the car and the repair money.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Based on the pictures, the damage to your car looks pretty minimal. I am surprised the bumper of the Silverado was so badly damaged. In any event, I would just take the cash offer and be on your way. Just be sure to check the cargo area (as others have noted) to make sure the AGM battery is intact and has not been compromised at all.

-DJ

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree dannycamps, the damage to the silverado was significantly more than what I can observe with mine which is what brought about the question. I have driven and even charged the car without issue since, and aside from knowing it was hit, I can discern no immediate alignment issues. I do know the 4 ways worked as they were functioning properly immediately after the accident when I was on the side of the road exchanging information with the other driver. I will however be certain to check the backup and brake lights as well as inspect the 12V battery area for damage to that area.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I would have your 2013 Volt fully checked out by a qualified Volt service/repair center. There may be parts of the underlying bumper that need to be replaced after a single hard impact. Also, the battery weighs ~450lbs (in the Gen 1 I forget how much this weighs) and the impact could have damaged the battery housing.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I just took the last several minutes to go out and remove the trunk floor. I can't see any indication of damage, just a lot of debris from over the years. All of the sheet metal appears to be straight without any visible indication of rippling to my untrained eye. I will check lighting later tonight, but so far all appears to be ok.....4 ways/turn signals appear to work appropriately and the backup camera also works. Unfortunately during the day it's difficult to tell if the backup lamp is working by looking at the image, and I don't have an assistant to help check that so I'll wait until tonight to make sure it still illuminates. If not, it's likely just a bulb. All in all I think it's just going to come down to any of the bits that are related to the bumper and impact absorption materials. That said, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

Barry, getting rid of the car was definitely not an option on the table for me unless more serious damage to the HV system or structure making drive ability a hazard. I can certainly deal with minor damage such as what I've seen so far. In the Oldsmobile I had that was rear ended a few years ago, it did allow a small amount of water into the trunk, but the body was compromised just enough that the weatherstrip no longer made contact to the trunk lid at the passenger taillight area. It wasn't much concern for me since we don't get much rain here in SoCal, and I rarely leave anything in the trunk anyway. Even car washes only allowed minimal water into the trunk (a few tablespoons worth maybe?).

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would have your 2013 Volt fully checked out by a qualified Volt service/repair center. There may be parts of the underlying bumper that need to be replaced after a single hard impact. Also, the battery weighs ~450lbs (in the Gen 1 I forget how much this weighs) and the impact could have damaged the battery housing.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the other drivers insurance agent. I left a message this morning to see about getting the ball rolling on filing a claim. Unfortunately only one Volt dealership here in town and they just downright suck when it comes to getting them to contact back. I do however intend on having it checked since there is far more that can be damaged in the Volt than a traditional ICE car. So far though with my untrained eye it appears that very little damage is present and I would be very surprised if such a low speed impact would have damaged the HV battery in any manner, including the housing. I suspect that since the impact was spread across most of the rear bumper rather than a single contact point is why it appears so minimal. It probably was no more than what one would experience backing into a pole. As I said earlier that even the bumper clips were mostly intact. I did have one spot that appeared to pop loose but a quick push and I could hear and feel it snap back into place.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
You should have stayed in the car, called an ambulance and then called a lawyer! lol...

If you plan on keeping the car until it dies, it's up to you if you want to live with the damage whether cosmetic or structural. Keep in mind any future rear impacts may not be absorbed as well or there could be earlier than desired rust but at 2-3 mph, probably not a big deal as most cars are supposed to take a 5mph hit with minimal damage. The truck damage though suggests it may have been a bit more than a couple mph. Get a repair quote just to be certain and then you will know.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do plan on getting it inspected as part of the claim. As for the accident itself. I was stopped, and I'm pretty sure I saw the other driver stop behind me as well, a few feet behind. When the light for those cars turning left changed to green, we maintained a red to proceed through the intersection waiting for others to turn left across the intersection, I heard his engine rev (had my window down, and no other noises immediately around us) somewhat aggressively as would be common with a younger driver in a hurry. His vehicle at this point made contact with mine and actually pushed me forward several inches with my foot firmly on the brake. It seemed at this point that the driver realized what he had done since I could hear the engine return to idle.

After the incident and exchanging information, we both proceeded to leave the scene and I did observe his driving to be typical of someone inexperienced and without much regard or respect for other drivers as he took off in a similar and aggressive manner cutting in front of another car. I could just be a matter of him having been shaken from the event, but from what I observed of his driving behavior, he may be in for some expensive insurance premiums.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had significantly more damage in my '13 and had it repaired. Glad I did and had a record -- the leaks started a while later--and were a pain, especially in the rear taillamps. This required lots of back-and-forth to get it right.

But a paid-off car that you still enjoy driving is priceless and if you keep the money stowed for a rainy day to fix any issues, you won't regret it. If not for the issues from the accident, I would still be driving my '13 as I really enjoyed the car--more than the Gen 2 I have now.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Does the ultrasonic sensor system still work all around? It looks like the sensor in your picture is damaged.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't checked but upon visual inspection I didn't notice anything that looked off with them. With the car being black it does lend itself to a lot of reflection in pictures and I think that may be the case here as well. I'll see about testing them each tomorrow. I would assume an object placed in front of each sensor should trigger a beep. I'll have to see about doing that while standing off to the side so I can determine if each sensor is working properly. I did however notice that the backup camera appears to aim a bit lower than it used to, but still very much functional. I just don't recall offhand where on the screen "level" appeared before the accident, but the horizon does seem to be a bit high on the screen from the center. I do have the claim information and will be submitting pictures, but they seem to want to do the claim adjustment through pictures which I think will hide a lot of the underlying damage that may be present. They did however agree that once they have authorized the claim that I could take it to Chevy for an inspection to verify there isn't any damage to the HV system which is my primary concern.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I would have it repaired. There are things behind the bumper you cannot see that may have been damaged upon impact. There is a significant amount of energy absorbing foam there. Once damaged, it loses some of it's energy absorbing properties. Plus I think someone mentioned your parking sensors. There is some damage that appears to be very close to one of those sensors. I think you'd want to be sure your parking sensors still work.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would also check the driver's seat carefully. Does it move back and forth properly? Our FIAT 500 was rear ended while stopped at a pedestrian crosswalk (lights flashing because people were crossing) and the driver's seat was ruined in addition to the more obvious damage.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd get it repaired. Keeps you safer and will help on resale value.
That would normally be a valid concern, but the mileage alone is going to impact that as it's has 113K on the clock now and I tend to average about 18K/yr. Aside from that, I'm also the type that keeps a car until the wheels fall off more or less. When I bought this car, it replaced a 1994 Olds. I can't imagine there would be much resale value for a Gen 1 Volt in 5-10 years with appropriate mileage given my driving pattern. The safety bit however is more of a concern. Looking at it from a cosmetic standpoint, I just see minimal concern and can live with a couple scratches and some paint damage. The absorption material under the bumper pad is more of a concern which I would be replacing anyway, whether I have it done through the repair or just through the cash value of the damages. The other concern is what additional damage may be present in any sub structure, mounting brackets, etc that would make such repairs difficult without replacement as well. I do have a neighbor who did body repair work that could assist if I need help with any repairs in that aspect and should I plan to go the "fix it myself" route I would definitely look into upgrading the b/u camera to something with a little more resolution.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Based on the pictures, the damage to your car looks pretty minimal. I am surprised the bumper of the Silverado was so badly damaged.

-DJ
I do second the surprise at the damage done to the Silverado - I would have thought the visible damage to be done to the cars to be reversed.. nice to know the Volt can handle its own.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have the parking sensors right? (I've never had a car with them so I'm still learning to identify them). If so, it's entirely possible that they could have been damaged in the hit - my mom had a Ford Focus with parking sensors and one of her co-workers was speeding through their parking lot and essentially just traded paint as my mom was backing out (light enough of a tap that the co-worker never realized they hit my mother) and she had to get one or two of the sensors replaced, which wasn't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I need to get out and check each one. I'm thinking that by placing a small object in front of each sensor should cause them to trigger individually to test them. I did a quick search for a replacement bumper cover and lower valence and between the two it looked like about $4-500 but I'm not 100% sure the bumper included the sensors. I did take the higher of the price range but that could just be a variation between vendors. I really need to go to GMpartdirect and price exactly what I would need.

As for the visible damage, very much agreed. I actually had a couple people look at the car first after I told them I was rear ended and they could only see the surface blemishes. Then I showed them pics of the truck and they were stunned how minimal mine looked. When I first got out after the accident I was expecting to see the bumper hanging off, or at least popped out of the clips on either side, but nothing like that. Very solid car it seems which doesn't surprise me considering some of the impacts I've seen and observing how occupants survive with less severe injury than would otherwise be expected.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts