GM Volt Forum banner
101 - 103 of 103 Posts
Discussion starter · #101 ·
If you had a lot of regen from descending those hills, that can throw the GOM off since most recent average kW/mile is significantly higher. Although it generally takes a few charge/discharge cycles to calibrate, it also takes into account immediate history and weighs that most heavily. I know coming down into the valley it's about 45 miles to my apartment from the top of the grade. Descending will allow me to build the battery to about 3/4 full from the MM level and indicate 60 miles of range which is obviously not possible in a Gen 1 at 70+. I do however manage about 40 of those miles electric only and usually shows 3-4 miles at zero bars remaining. Unfortunately about 1-2 miles later the ICE kicks on since at that point I'm mostly level or perhaps a very slight climb into the city.

I think all in all you're really starting to see how capable in both performance, which you were previously lacking, and range the Volt really does have. I do wish it was better equipped as far as carrying ability and seating (think uber!) but overall it's definitely a winner over similar competing models.
Years back, I had an Eldorado with the "digital dash" and they only showed how many gallons of gas as a number. I wished that I could enable "xx kWh" remaining instead of miles, but that's just me. I tend to the look at the bars more than the miles anyway.

Years back, I had an Eldorado with the "digital dash" and they only showed how many gallons of gas as a number. I wished that I could enable "xx kWh" remaining instead of miles, but that's just me. I tend to the look at the bars more than the miles anyway.
It doesn't really know kWh remaining. It just knows % remaining based on voltage trending and measurements from the battery computer. The car just knows, 'time to turn on engine, it's low enough' - it doesn't actually deal in kWh at all.

But on that note, I think those bars should have incorporated % remaining - the computer already has it in memory and is using it to draw that picture!

Another thought... when coasting at a reasonable speed, shifting from D to L should produce a noticeable increase in regen. What happens if, when coasting in D, the OP places a light pressure on the brake pedal? Putting a light pressure on the brake pedal should increase the regen (without applying any friction braking), unless some misadjustment instructs the system to decrease the regen because the (friction) brakes are being applied.
"No fault found" was the verdict and yet everything in the vehicle was reset, including the peak/off-peak hours, radio stations lost, clock reset. I'm assuming that either he reset everything or updates the firmware but I have no indication.

I picked up the Volt after hours and immediately saw that it had a discharged battery but the differences were obvious.

• Notes say "needs air filter". I guess they don't filters like they used to... this one has about 200 gas miles on it.
  • Regular braking regeneration now reaches -53 kW
  • Off-throttle now regenerates a little, sometimes as much as -8 or -9 kW and DEFINITELY does not coast for as long as it did before.
  • Low "gear" regeneration now slows the vehicle rather dramatically, also reaching into the -53 kW range
  • Wide open throttle peaks at 112 kW, much quicker on the top end
  • Engaged mountain mode and in ten minutes saw two bars
  • Still waiting results on my lottery ticket
My son is driving my old 2011 Volt now.
I noticed driving it a few times recently that the (L)ow REGEN is acting very different than I recall -- way less.
Re: @wordptom point -- At different speeds, there is not a real noticeable difference in switching between (L)ow and (D)rive which I know it did before.

Based on this thread, it seems something odd is going with ours EXCEPT we can get 'max' kW > 130. Getting 'min' kW below 4 appeared to be common and I saw it a few times below 10, HOWEVER, it is not consistent.

Not sure if disconnecting the 12v for > 10 minutes would allow some level of reset vs what the dealership did for z80 (which is not clear).

101 - 103 of 103 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.