GM Volt Forum banner

2013 Navigation Map Spinning!

28K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Norm51 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just picked up a new 2013 a couple days ago. I just found this site and this is my first post. I'm looking forward to reading every single post on this forum :D

My gps nav map spins and is basically useless because of it. It spins whether a destination is entered or not. Almost like the antenna, or compass, or whatever you call it is spinning. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? This is what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfyOzHTaAXc

I have not been able to find any reports of this behaviour so far, so I'm wondering if I'm the first one?

#6 ·
It looks as if the GPS has a hard time to localize it's position. I would guess that the root problem is related
to the onboard GPS and / or it's antenna.

I also agree with other posters - it's a clear dealer case!

Keep us posted with the results and the cure!

Francois
B2653

#12 ·
Hi SolarJoe,
I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday morning. The service rep said that they had never seen anything like it. By the end of the day, I was informed that they were not able to determine what component was causing the problem, and told me that they were working with Chevrolet to figure it out. I was asked to leave it with them for another day. I'm hoping I will get it back today, but I'm not sure if that will be the case. I will definitely give an update on what it was once they fix it.

#13 ·
Hi Fulgerite- Yes, it definitely seems to be a compass issue with the nav. I'm just wondering if they would replace a small piece like you suggested, or if they would replace the NAV brain. The compass on the dash in the instrument cluster is steady and accurate, so it must be a separate compass specifically for the NAV.

#14 ·
#17 ·
The GPS is not the only navigation sensor used in the Volt's navigation system. A GPS satellite receiver can only detect direction when the car is in motion. It does this by comparing several GPS position readings and determining the relative change between readings to estimate a compass direction.

However... A GPS cannot navigate in a tunnel or parking structure due to a total loss of signal. Yet many cars CAN continue navigating in tunnels and parking garages. They do this using a compass, steering wheel position sensor and wheel rotation sensor. The Volt's navigation can continue navigating for a while... by using "dead reckoning", Even without a GPS signal the OTHER sensor readings can continue to update the map position.

Therefore... If the magnetometer system has malfunctioned it can render GPS navigation useless. The magnetometer may NOT be contained in the same module as the GPS. Therefore further diagnostic testing may be required to find the fault.

#16 ·
I just called the dealer to check status, and the rep told me that they need a "special tool" to test further (the antenna and other things), and that they don't have the necessary tool. So I asked if that means that they will need the car for a few more days, to which he replied, "yes." Doesn't sound right to me. I wonder why they don't just replace the GPS unit.

#18 ·
I received a callback from the dealer a little while ago. They will probably need the car until some time next week. They are trying to "borrow" the necessary tool from another dealer. The tool is used for only one step of the diagnosis process, so even after testing, they could need the car even longer. This is frustrating to say the least. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in 12 years, and I hope this is not something I need to get used to.

#20 ·
Likely it is an antenna system issue. I had that happen once before on a nav system but it was in a heavy downpour with many trees along the roadway and the bad weather was the cause of it. As soon as the weather let up it went back to normal but it was odd seeing me/car spin around as I drove through a winding road.

#25 ·
After another week of going back and forth with my Volt Advisor, and getting no help from the dealer, my Volt Advisor finally called me yesterday to tell me that the dealer now has the necessary tool to diagnose my map spinning issue. I have an appt to take the car in on Monday morning. I really hope they are able to resolve next week.

#26 ·
Volt went back to the dealer yesterday morning. I received a call in the late afternoon from my service rep who informed me that they have now identified the faulty component to be the "radio" unit of the NAV system. The part was ordered yesterday, and they hoped that the car would be ready today, or tomorrow at the latest. I'm looking forward to finally having a working NAV system.

FYI- The dealer was not helpful at all until I sent a message to GM and started working with a Volt Advisor. The Volt advisor was the one who really pushed the dealer to get the tool and get the car fixed. They are also the ones who called me to give me status updates. Before the Volt Advisor got involved, the dealer actually told me to take it to another dealer.

#27 ·
Just updating to close this issue out for future reference by anyone with the same problem. The map spinning problem was fixed with replacement of the "radio" unit. The problem was diagnosed to be the radio after the special "Onstar Antenna Tool" was connected to the radio (by the dealer Tech) and the spinning persisted. Once the problem was isolated to the radio, the dealer received authorization to proceed with ordering a replacement radio. Once that was installed, everything worked as designed. I'm glad that ordeal is finally over.

#30 ·
ShutterHappy,

I apologize that you are experiencing this concern. Have you contacted your Dedicated Advisor about this? If you haven't already please call the Canadian Volt Customer Assistance at 800-263-3777. They will be able to get you in touch with your Advisor and schedule you an appointment.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

#31 ·
Another lost and spinning GPS 2013 Volt

2013 Volt, just shy of 60,000 miles. Same issue with locator spinning on map. Have had similar issues in past with GPS sending me in circles but usually it sorted itself out. Issue is several days old now and have adapted to using Waze. I generally liked the GPS interface and prefer it to my Mercedes GLK. To bad the electronics is weak on the GM system. Hoping it is only a weak connector that needs to be cycled or a system reset but I fear otherwise based on this string. I'm not prepared to purchase a 2017 yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.