GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I just picked up a new 2013 a couple days ago. I just found this site and this is my first post. I'm looking forward to reading every single post on this forum :D

My gps nav map spins and is basically useless because of it. It spins whether a destination is entered or not. Almost like the antenna, or compass, or whatever you call it is spinning. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? This is what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfyOzHTaAXc

I have not been able to find any reports of this behaviour so far, so I'm wondering if I'm the first one?

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Call the dealer.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It looks as if the GPS has a hard time to localize it's position. I would guess that the root problem is related
to the onboard GPS and / or it's antenna.

I also agree with other posters - it's a clear dealer case!

Keep us posted with the results and the cure!

Francois
B2653

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Of course it is confused, it is in LA!!! ;-)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi PowerTrip, I tried every mode, and they all do the same thing. When I'm in 2D North Up mode, the map stays steady, but the little ted arrow spins all over the place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi SolarJoe,
I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday morning. The service rep said that they had never seen anything like it. By the end of the day, I was informed that they were not able to determine what component was causing the problem, and told me that they were working with Chevrolet to figure it out. I was asked to leave it with them for another day. I'm hoping I will get it back today, but I'm not sure if that will be the case. I will definitely give an update on what it was once they fix it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Fulgerite- Yes, it definitely seems to be a compass issue with the nav. I'm just wondering if they would replace a small piece like you suggested, or if they would replace the NAV brain. The compass on the dash in the instrument cluster is steady and accurate, so it must be a separate compass specifically for the NAV.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just called the dealer to check status, and the rep told me that they need a "special tool" to test further (the antenna and other things), and that they don't have the necessary tool. So I asked if that means that they will need the car for a few more days, to which he replied, "yes." Doesn't sound right to me. I wonder why they don't just replace the GPS unit.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Isn't the NAV compass the GPS? That's why you can get weird results when the car isn't moving.
The GPS is not the only navigation sensor used in the Volt's navigation system. A GPS satellite receiver can only detect direction when the car is in motion. It does this by comparing several GPS position readings and determining the relative change between readings to estimate a compass direction.

However... A GPS cannot navigate in a tunnel or parking structure due to a total loss of signal. Yet many cars CAN continue navigating in tunnels and parking garages. They do this using a compass, steering wheel position sensor and wheel rotation sensor. The Volt's navigation can continue navigating for a while... by using "dead reckoning", Even without a GPS signal the OTHER sensor readings can continue to update the map position.

Therefore... If the magnetometer system has malfunctioned it can render GPS navigation useless. The magnetometer may NOT be contained in the same module as the GPS. Therefore further diagnostic testing may be required to find the fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I received a callback from the dealer a little while ago. They will probably need the car until some time next week. They are trying to "borrow" the necessary tool from another dealer. The tool is used for only one step of the diagnosis process, so even after testing, they could need the car even longer. This is frustrating to say the least. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in 12 years, and I hope this is not something I need to get used to.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I received a callback from the dealer a little while ago. They will probably need the car until some time next week. They are trying to "borrow" the necessary tool from another dealer. The tool is used for only one step of the diagnosis process, so even after testing, they could need the car even longer. This is frustrating to say the least. I haven't owned a GM vehicle in 12 years, and I hope this is not something I need to get used to.
So, something like doing a careful and thorough job?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Likely it is an antenna system issue. I had that happen once before on a nav system but it was in a heavy downpour with many trees along the roadway and the bad weather was the cause of it. As soon as the weather let up it went back to normal but it was odd seeing me/car spin around as I drove through a winding road.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts