GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has this happened to anyone else here? I've searched the forums and couldn't find a post related to it. In my 2013, every so often the nav will stop accepting input. For instance, yesterday, I started driving, pressed Destination, Points of Interest. Then I stopped the car, put it in park, and selected the state and began entering the city. It gave me a list of cities, but then wouldn't let me choose one. From then on, I could back out of the menus or get into them, but I could not input anything, nor did it accept a destination via voice control using one-shot. This same thing has happened to me in the middle of a long trip. In these cases I have to switch to using my smartphone for navigation or get turn-by-turn from OnStar.

The Volt Advisor didn't have anything on this, and the dealer is saying that unless I can reproduce it for them, they may not be able to help. Anyone else have experience with this?

Also, one feature of the nav system I have found is that when displaying a list of items, such as exit services or POI, that is longer that one page, I cannot scroll down past the first page if moving. This makes little sense to me, because I can scroll my whole address book to call a phone number, but not when using the phone book to select a destination. Moreover, in order to see all options when I look at exit services, I have to exit, pull over, and then scroll down. At that point, I may as well just look around. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
At first, I thought you were trying to input while driving, but you cleared that up, so no, I haven't seen it. However, one thing that works really well is having On-Star send directions to your NAV. Really handy if you don't know the exact address of your destination, but looking for a business.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Check with you Volt Advisor or ask a Chevy dealer if there are any software upgrades for your Volt.

I went to a dealer to have my hatch latch re-bolted since it was coming loose and they told me I should take a big software upgrade which involved the navigation system. They told me to schedule to leave my Volt for 2 days but it was completed in one day.

3,606 Posts
Has this happened to anyone else here? I've searched the forums and couldn't find a post related to it. In my 2013, every so often the nav will stop accepting input. For instance, yesterday, I started driving, pressed Destination, Points of Interest. Then I stopped the car, put it in park, and selected the state and began entering the city. It gave me a list of cities, but then wouldn't let me choose one. From then on, I could back out of the menus or get into them, but I could not input anything, nor did it accept a destination via voice control using one-shot. This same thing has happened to me in the middle of a long trip. In these cases I have to switch to using my smartphone for navigation or get turn-by-turn from OnStar.

The Volt Advisor didn't have anything on this, and the dealer is saying that unless I can reproduce it for them, they may not be able to help. Anyone else have experience with this?

Also, one feature of the nav system I have found is that when displaying a list of items, such as exit services or POI, that is longer that one page, I cannot scroll down past the first page if moving. This makes little sense to me, because I can scroll my whole address book to call a phone number, but not when using the phone book to select a destination. Moreover, in order to see all options when I look at exit services, I have to exit, pull over, and then scroll down. At that point, I may as well just look around. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Thanks,
Mark
Hi DCFlyer,

I apologize that you experienced that. If it were to occur again can you take a short video of the nav not responding to what your selecting? This will help your service dept. to see what is transpiring during the concern. Also I would inform your Advisor so they can document it for you, and contact our technical team.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
605 Posts
My Volt was acting VERY similar. The car was not driving down the road and NAV was not accepting input. If I remember correctly, the NAV system was still trying to navigate to a previous destination and I had to work my way through the menus to terminate "Navigation" to the previous destination that was still processing. After that was done, input operated as I would have expected.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At first, I thought you were trying to input while driving, but you cleared that up, so no, I haven't seen it. However, one thing that works really well is having On-Star send directions to your NAV. Really handy if you don't know the exact address of your destination, but looking for a business.
Thanks, Slickbrave. Having OnStar look up a business is helpful. However, when the Nav does this, it won't even accept a destination from OnStar. I end up having to have OnStar send it as a Turn-by-Turn nav, which displays turn prompts in the radio screen, rather than a route on the Nav system.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi DCFlyer,

I apologize that you experienced that. If it were to occur again can you take a short video of the nav not responding to what your selecting? This will help your service dept. to see what is transpiring during the concern. Also I would inform your Advisor so they can document it for you, and contact our technical team.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service
Ian,

A video is a good idea. I'll do that next time it happens. There appear to be no nav updates out there for me at the moment; I've talked to a Volt Advisor (though not mine, specifically), and the dealer.

Mark

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Mark!

Mine did this only once with the "not accepting input". It corrected itself after shutting off the car and leaving it parked for a while (no key fob in range). When it came back on it asked if I want to continue routing to a previously entered destination, which I cancelled and started over. I wouldn't know where to begin trying to replicate it. I can see how it could be very frustrating if you're on a trip in unfamiliar territory. If it's any consolation, it never happened again after that one time and I use my nav every day.

Scrolling and keyboard entry are locked out while the vehicle is moving, except for the address book and routes. I presume it's because the driver is likely to be more familiar with the contents of their address book which makes it less distracting than say, examining a running list of new search results. Scrolling is also enabled while moving is when searching the contents of mass storage media (USB/BT).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi DCFlyer,

I had this happen when my '13 Volt was about a month old. I took it to the dealer and they put in a software update that fixed it. I brought the car in in the morning and picked it up late that afternoon.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi DCFlyer,

I had this happen when my '13 Volt was about a month old. I took it to the dealer and they put in a software update that fixed it. I brought the car in in the morning and picked it up late that afternoon.
My 2013 when brand new also had this issue with the navigation system not accepting inputs. Likewise, a software update at the dealer fixed it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scrolling and keyboard entry are locked out while the vehicle is moving, except for the address book and routes. I presume it's because the driver is likely to be more familiar with the contents of their address book which makes it less distracting than say, examining a running list of new search results..
Hi, Joule,

Thanks. Mine's done this half a dozen times. Guess I will see what the dealer can come up with. Funny that it lets you scroll through the address book when making a phone call, but not when selecting an address from your address book as a nav destination.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts