GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Volt about 2 mos ago, the first car I have owned with factory nav. So far - give me my Garmin!

Just to test the system, I entered my home address, saved it as the home item. Then I asked the system to guide me home. It gave me weird directions, mostly taking me away from my house. Upon checking I found it could not locate my home - which has existed for 14 years. I finally deleted the address, used the location function in my driveway and saved it to the home. Now it recognizes not only the location but the address and will nav back to my house OK.

Then yesterday I was coming back home, due to interstate traffic I opted to take some unfamiliar back roads home. The system did not like that, kept telling me to u-turn and go back to the interstate. After about 5 instructions to u-turn the voice directions went silent and the USB music functions locked up with the volume fixed. (Maybe the lady got mad at me for ignoring her??? Is there a "wife" mode?)

However, the nav map continued to function fine all the way home. I shut the car down, waited a few minutes and the audio functions were normal, but still had no voice instructions when I asked the nav to take me somewhere else.

I recharged the car overnight, and upon checking today the nav voice is back. Maybe she forgave me for not listening to her!

I think I may keep my Garmin in the glove box just in case . . .

One other strange item: Rather than use my phone as a music source, I loaded about 2k of my absolute favorite songs onto a USB stick and turned the Volt into my own Chevy juke box. Works great, indexed fine, good sound. But - - every so often when I start up it will not recognize the USB and defaults to FM. Sometimes I just have to change the source to USB, and sometimes I have to unplug and reinsert the stick. Usually the USB music resumes from where it was playing when shut off, but occasionally it will re-index before playing. Is there some means to set the USB as the default audio input?

Other than that, I love the car. I have been getting between 43 - 49 miles on a full charge, which I know will take a hit when the Minnesota winter sets in.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Nav and infotainment systems aren't the best. I use nav to just turn on a map of my location when we are traveling in unfamiliar territory mostly as a visual cue how far we are away from a turn or intersection, but still use Siri on the smartphone to actually navigate.

I've given up trying to play via a USB key. I just stream Bluetooth from the smartphone.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wish there was a gen 1 mod for Apple Carplay. Having free Apple Maps in the gen 2 is a wonderful feature, I love it.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I wish there was a gen 1 mod for Apple Carplay. Having free Apple Maps in the gen 2 is a wonderful feature, I love it.
You already did the mod... you got a gen2 :)

I'm guessing you kept the gen1, and in that case the mod is to replace the gen1 with a gen2, or an ELR, CT6 Plugin...etc.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Get your self an Android tablet. Android Auto will run on the device without a car attached, and Google Maps with Waze is much better than Apple Maps.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I bought the Volt about 2 mos ago, the first car I have owned with factory nav. So far - give me my Garmin!

I think I may keep my Garmin in the glove box just in case . . .
I have 2 2013s and just use my phone with Google Maps. The maps on the Volt are seriously out of date and the cost to update them is not worth it since they are free on the phone.

One other strange item: Rather than use my phone as a music source, I loaded about 2k of my absolute favorite songs onto a USB stick and turned the Volt into my own Chevy juke box. Works great, indexed fine, good sound. But - - every so often when I start up it will not recognize the USB and defaults to FM. Sometimes I just have to change the source to USB, and sometimes I have to unplug and reinsert the stick. Usually the USB music resumes from where it was playing when shut off, but occasionally it will re-index before playing. Is there some means to set the USB as the default audio input?
This is how both my 2013s react as well. Many times they will default to the last device such as USB. Other times it goes back to FM and I have to select the source or unplug and plug in the USB stick. I call it normal and doubt there will be any update that will change that behavior.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In my Volt 2014, sometimes is neccesary to TURN OFF,not the radio but the whole car, so you could get sense of the system...So I stop in a safe place and reboot it...under the sarcasm of my beloved wife " my Subaru does not need to do that to work..." LOL Great car anyway.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I updated the maps on my 2014, keep your $$$ and your Garmin the price isn't worth it !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts