GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contrary to what GM has represented through its marketing materials, the NYS DMV is denying all 2013 Clean Pass applications because the car has yet to be approved by the State. Both my dealer and Volt Advisors have stated that the car is eligible based upon GM reps but this is factually incorrect.

I have now sold my authorized Prius for a Volt which is unauthorized. I can only be hopeful that NY will authorize the 2013 once evaluated but I am now subject to the whims of NYS as to when and if this will happen. In the interim, and in reliance of what has been represented, I am significantly inconvenienced.

All NY buyers with HOV intentions should be warned and the dealers who monitor this forumn should immediately advise their customers of this misrepresentation. Be responsible.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This is another case of too much government power. They are over reaching and should recognize this is hurting the acceptance of electric cars. If the Prius is granted access the Volt should be a no brainer, which is why they haven't approved it already, no common sense.

·
4,852 Posts
This is definitely a case of slow government with too much due process.

You'll see from https://www.dot.ny.gov/programs/clean-pass that the 2012 CA Emissions Volt was eligible; there's no reason why the 2013 shouldn't be, except that NY state is dragging their feet. (You'll also notice there are no 2013's listed on their website currently).

*Chevrolet Volt, model year 2012 with E, F, G, or H in the 5th position of the VIN
If your VIN has one of those letters within it, I bet you could convince them you're eligible, or try to persuade them to update their list to include "2013"... VIN number should take precedence though.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Contrary to what GM has represented through its marketing materials, the NYS DMV is denying all 2013 Clean Pass applications because the car has yet to be approved by the State. Both my dealer and Volt Advisors have stated that the car is eligible based upon GM reps but this is factually incorrect.

I have now sold my authorized Prius for a Volt which is unauthorized. I can only be hopeful that NY will authorize the 2013 once evaluated but I am now subject to the whims of NYS as to when and if this will happen. In the interim, and in reliance of what has been represented, I am significantly inconvenienced.

All NY buyers with HOV intentions should be warned and the dealers who monitor this forumn should immediately advise their customers of this misrepresentation. Be responsible.
This goes to a thread I remember a couple weeks ago where the OP complained that the sales person told him the 2013 Volt was not HOV approved. People here told the OP the salesperson was incompetent and suggested the OP take his business elsewhere. Some of us cautioned everyone that until the DMV officially certifies the specific MYs, there are in fact not HOV eligible. This seems to be a case in point.

I agree this is basic government incompetence, but the sales folks have to play the cards they are dealt.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey, you're close by to me! Welcome! Don't forget to get your free local commuter/beach/meter parking permit if you use any of those.

Sorry about the missing HOV access, though. :( There was someone else that recently posted about this, too. Looks we're waiting on the state DEP - probably the Division of Air Resources: Mobile Sources & Technology Development, 508-402-8292 or [email protected] . I sent a quick e-mail asking on an ETA for an update for the list for 2013 and will post here if I get an answer.

(You'll also notice there are no 2013's listed on their website currently).

"*Chevrolet Volt, model year 2012 with E, F, G, or H in the 5th position of the VIN "

If your VIN has one of those letters within it, I bet you could convince them you're eligible, or try to persuade them to update their list to include "2013"... VIN number should take precedence though.
By my reading, those letters are meant to designate when in the model year the new HOV-eligible low pollution package started getting put on the 2012s, so you should probably read that as "the latter part of model year 2012". So arguing based on the VIN probably won't work.

·
Registered
484 Posts
(Bumping with new information.)

Got a reply - I'd say ETA is mid-to-late September; maybe first half of October if things really lag.

This list is usually completed in September and notification is provided to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT). Once DMV and DOT have received notification they will update their websites to include the new vehicles. This process may take up to two weeks after notification has been sent. Once the update has been completed DMV will begin issuing Clean Pass stickers for eligible vehicles.
Here's the full e-mail (I think I can post this publicly, as I did say I was going to pass the information along, and it appears to be written for public consumption):

Mr. <removed>,
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (Department) is responsible for updating the list of eligible vehicles for the Clean Pass Program. Vehicle eligibility is determined using a combination of California Air Resources Board (CARB) vehicle emissions certifications and United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) highway fuel economy ratings. In order to qualify for inclusion in the Clean Pass Program, a vehicle must have a CARB emissions certification of Super Ultra-Low Emissions Vehicle (SULEV) or better, and must have an EPA highway fuel economy rating of at least 45 miles per gallon.

The Department is currently in the process of preparing an updated eligibility list to include 2013 model year vehicles. This list is usually completed in September and notification is provided to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the New York State Department of Transportation (DOT). Once DMV and DOT have received notification they will update their websites to include the new vehicles. This process may take up to two weeks after notification has been sent. Once the update has been completed DMV will begin issuing Clean Pass stickers for eligible vehicles.

If you have any additional questions regarding the Clean Pass Program please contact me.

Sincerely,

Jeff Marshall, P.E.
Environmental Engineer 2
Bureau of Mobile Sources & Technology Development
Division of Air Resources
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-3255
(518) 402-8292
[edit] To cover all the bases: I'm pretty sure MPGe counts for "highway fuel rating" - or else the 2012 wouldn't have made the list - so no worries about reaching the 45 MPG threshold there, I think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow. thanks for the concise and helpful follow up. Feel better about the CleanPass timing and had no idea regarding parking permits. Also have to state that I am overwhelmingly impressed with the Volt and its driving demeanor. Besides my Prius, I am former car snob that always leased Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Acura vehicles. Never imagined buying a Chevy. The Volt stands up to all my prior cars except possibly with respect to acceleration. Still more than adequate for normal driving.

Putting aside the technology benefits - fit and finish, solid quiet feel, great ground presence are all just as good, if not better. Chevy has really made great advances with this vehicle.

·
Registered
176 Posts
For what it's worth, I reapplied my 2015 5th VIN place B, after being rejected, this time with just my license plate number and I was issued the pass. Perhaps an oversight on DMV's part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts