GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good idea about why the leather seats are being changed from perforated to non-perforated for 2013?

I'm no expert, but info online suggests that perforated seats are found more in luxury vehicles, and the intent is to improve ventilation, which keeps the seat cooler in the summer and makes the seat warmers more effective in the winter.

http://www.interiorleather.com/faq.html
"Q10: What is perforation? What are the advantages of perforation?
A10: Perforation are tiny holes found in the leather where the body touches. In most luxury vehicles such as mercedes benz, bmw, and porsche comes with perforated leather. By adding perforation to your vehicles interior, it will add a touch of class, allowing the leather to breath easier, add value to your vehicle, and creating a more luxury feel. It is also a great combination with seat heaters as perforation will allow the heat to penetrate the leather faster creating a faster warmer seat."

So is this just a cost-reduction?

Any other theories out there?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't know. I was wondering the same thing. I'd be a little surprised to learn it has anything to do with cost. It's an option, after all. So it doesn't affect the base price. Which is the most important number.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I didn't get the leather option because it WAS perforated, perforated is much easier to snag and tear, so my belief anyways

·
Registered
915 Posts
I prefer it when cars incorporate Perforated Alcantara into leather seats rather than all leather. I plan on having my panels replaced with perforated alcantara at some point. In the meantime i'm fine with the leather perforated seats.

Although they get dirty right above where my backside sits (my jeans belt area)

·
Registered
962 Posts
I got the leather care warranty. I got the tiny tiniest scratch in my front seat (not related to the perforation). And when I had it in for the battery enhancement, I figure I'd have them patch it up. They told me they'd review it with a manager. I thought that was strange but, sure, whatever. Turns out, they're ordering me a whole new bottom seat. I was a little embarassed. Because I really thought they'd just slap something on it to seal it up and call it good because it was so minor and didn't go all the way through the leather. But why not, I guess.

Also, I support the perforated cow shortage theory.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The thing that bothers me about the perforation (even in other cars I've owned) is that stuff gets stuck in the holes and it's more work to keep clean. The change to non-perforated is fine by me.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
alcantra is a lint drawing , hard to clean mess. there is so little leather in a new volt now i don't know how they will be able to call it a leather option if they replace the perforated leather with it. the actual amount of leather in the car now is so small it would be comical if it wasn't so expensive.

perforated leather breaths better than a solid piece, heat passes thought it much better and it is much better suited for a luxury styled automobile than cloth/fake swade.

·
Registered
117 Posts
OK, more abbreviations... What is "MY"? When I first saw it used it was on the other side of the year and I thought the person was saying "my" 2012 (which I thought was strange). Why can't you just use words? Is it really so much to type? Not everyone knows what these odd abbreviations mean. Of course, it's no big deal, just a little irritating at times. :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
MY = Model Year

·
Registered
915 Posts
alcantra is a lint drawing , hard to clean mess. .

NO my belly button is lint drawing :) ...Alcantara is so damn comfortable to sit on, I can deal with the odd clean up.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
No thanks. I heard you can't escape from Alcantara. It's surrounded by the cold bay, it's too far to swim to shore, and there are sharks in the water.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
NO my belly button is lint drawing :) ...Alcantara is so damn comfortable to sit on, I can deal with the odd clean up.
you can clean my 2008 civic si sedan anytime you want...... the only way to clean the dead skin cells out of it is i pull it into my shop and blow it out with a air hose (160psi) for about 10 minutes and then i vacuum it followed by a 3m tape roller. it is a serious pia...... i have started several times to have the interior done in leather. my center arm rest and door panel arm rests are covered with it in addition to major areas of the seats.... it's awful. i really feel sorry for anybody that buys a cts-v or zl1 camaro with the steering wheel and shifter knob covered with it. those will be throw away items in those cars and it is an expensive option. if you really want to know what customers think of it go to 8thcivic.com and search it.

the only thing that has stopped me from having it done in leather is i have spent 10,000.00 in mods on that car and i don't want to spend another 5,000.00 on the interior.

if you want to have the headliner, a, b and c pillars covered with it that is pretty cool but other than that it's not a product that looks nice when it has been used for 5 or 6 years unless it has had serious, dedicated upkeep.

·
Registered
235 Posts
like the guy from florida said; non perforated is more durable. when i recovered my corvettes seats last year there was an option of the original perforated or the updated more durable non perforated. my choice was to stay original. the original perforated lasted 25 years and 135k miles. gm seamingly uses thick american leather on everything.

·
Registered
923 Posts
gm seamingly uses thick american leather on everything.

Conclusion, no shortage of thick skinned, perforated cows!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Nothing insiduous, just a supplier thing...
WOT

PS> and IMO thre's nothing classy nor luxurious about perforated leather...

·
Registered
235 Posts
lol mbepic. at least in the case of my 85 vette there must be no shortage of blue perferated american cows.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have leather, and wish it was non perforated. If you have kids, you will know. Even if they never eat in the car. I do let them, but nothing real messy. People think it's cooler, I am not convinced, unless you have a seat cooling system maybe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts