GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Interesting, 10.8 kWh "useable" isn't it pegged at 10.1 kWh now?

·
Registered
96 Posts
.5 kwh increase from 10.3 to 10.8 , also increases charge time.
Chevrolet says it will take 4 hours and 15 minutes using a 240-Volt Level 2 charging system, or 10.5 hours using 110-Volt household current.

Interesting, 10.8 kWh "useable" isn't it pegged at 10.1 kWh now?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I wonder if that is a software change that could be backdated to the 2011/12 Volts;

also, did they somehow squeeze another couple of mpg out of the CS engine?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Cool.. I can see why they were a closed lip on the battery changes.. more reason to wait for a 2013..

A 10% increase in EV range (35-38) by a 3% increase in battery size (16 to 16.5).. hmm sounds like a good deal. maybe there is more to it..

·
8,680 Posts
Where did you see an increase in CS mileage? The only place I saw 38 was as an EPA electric range (up from 35, due to the .5 kWh increase in total and usable capacity from the new cells.) The article didn't mention gas at all that I saw...

·
Registered
3,192 Posts

·
8,680 Posts
Cool.. I can see why they were a closed lip on the battery changes.. more reason to wait for a 2013..

A 10% increase in EV range (35-38) by a 3% increase in battery size (16 to 16.5).. hmm sounds like a good deal. maybe there is more to it..
I look at it as an 8.5% increase in range (3/35) from a 4.8% increase in usable battery (.5/10.3). Still a little more than expected - maybe they tweaked something in one of the climate control cases?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Maybe I haven't been following it, but wasn't expecting any battery changes in the 2013 MY. Great for the Volt!

Makes me somewhat glad I leased as I think this type of improvement will be the norm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Doesn't seem to be a software change but a chemistry change.

The changes come courtesy of a slightly altered chemistry in the lithium-ion cells provided by LG Chem.

The revised cells have a slightly different composition of materials in their manganese-spinel chemistry, though neither company provided specific details of the changes. GM compared the changes to adjusting the proportions of sugar and vanilla for better flavor while baking a cake.
I wonder if that is a software change that could be backdated to the 2011/12 Volts;

also, did they somehow squeeze another couple of mpg out of the CS engine?

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I look at it as an 8.5% increase in range (3/35) from a 4.8% increase in usable battery (.5/10.3). Still a little more than expected - maybe they tweaked something in one of the climate control cases?
Okay, next time I'll use a calculator or a slide rule.. I was just winging it..

yeah. usable is what matters.. since it seem the full .5 gain is being made usable.

It is interesting that whatever it is, the article does not mention MPG_CS (hence one expect nothing there changed.
Even a CC would impact MPG_CS.

Maybe its an EV control algorithm, e.g. acceleration remapping on the EV motors?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Makes me wonder if Chevy will do a $2K allowance for GM card users to clear out 2012 and 2011 inventory going into summer. I'd bet a lot of people will wait on 2013 once they hear the details of the changes (hold mode, nav tech changes and slight increase in battery tech are nice to haves and worth at least $1K in "I'll wait" value).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Where did you see an increase in CS mileage? The only place I saw 38 was as an EPA electric range (up from 35, due to the .5 kWh increase in total and usable capacity from the new cells.) The article didn't mention gas at all that I saw...
I read the article wrong, fixed in OP.

Anyways, its nice to see this from GM. I wonder if this establishes a pattern for battery refinements - minor revisions to the battery cell technology every 2 years, then major revisions every 6 years for big shifts in battery chem and design. In two years, the 2015 model gets an extra .5kWh again, and the 2017 model is the major revision that features some breakthrough 400Wh/kg cells or something like that, which would incorporate a new battery housing design to accommodate a new form factor (and restore the rear middle seat).

I am a little disappointed the price didn't come down. I still think the sweet spot for GM is to have it sell for 30K after rebate. Just like Cubs baseball, there is always next year...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Makes me wonder if Chevy will do a $2K allowance for GM card users to clear out 2012 and 2011 inventory going into summer. I'd bet a lot of people will wait on 2013 once they hear the details of the changes (hold mode, nav tech changes and slight increase in battery tech are nice to haves and worth at least $1K in "I'll wait" value).
I think it's more likely that they will keep the current APR and lease incentives for old inventory, but reduce them or eliminate them for MY 2013.

·
Registered
962 Posts
What I'm wondering about is whether the new battery works in MY2011/2012 Volts. I'm not sure if the buffer is programmed in to the battery itself or is part of the car's software. Maybe a reason to cross my fingers and hope for a battery failure? :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
All good stuff. Things are setting up well for the big model change in 2014. I wasn't expecting the battery chemistry change. They must be very confident about it.

What's funny is that just a few years ago the X-Prize was looking for 100 MPGe cars as something quite remarkable, and now, just a few years later, we're seeing quite a number of them coming off the production line.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
All good stuff. Things are setting up well for the big model change in 2014. I wasn't expecting the battery chemistry change. They must be very confident about it.

I'm pretty sure they got these changes in mine. It get great range :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Nice that the entire .5KWh increase in battery pack capacity is included in the usable CS window. Not sure where the writer came up with 25-45 miles CS range. I would expect GM to say 25-55 now.

I want HOLD mode!!!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
My plan was a 2014 ELR, so now I can see the potential for the 2014 Volt and ELR to have significant improvements all around.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts