GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

New to the forum and been lurking around a bit. Just installed nav radio in my 2013 and radio says LOCKED when turned on. Is there a way to unlock. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Did you buy a nav radio from another Volt? Most OEM head units have a pre-defined key (Lock Code) to prevent theft and re-use in another vehicle. If this is the case, you need the code from the previous owner.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purchased from Ebay. They indicated will provide all necessary info and nothing came with the unit. Remember my VW had a code sticker on a business car just in case battery dies or like you say stolen. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dealer can find code from VIN, at least other brands could.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Purchased from Ebay. They indicated will provide all necessary info and nothing came with the unit. Remember my VW had a code sticker on a business car just in case battery dies or like you say stolen. Thanks.
I suggest you contact the vendor and ask for the VIN of the donor car. If he has it and it comes up 'clean' a dealer should be able to help you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Purchased from ebay - contact the seller. Double check the packaging you received, the code may have been on a card or something that wasn't obvious. Also check the unit itself on all sides - it may have been written on the back or sides or something. You haven't indicated whether it's a new or used unit, so all we can do is speculate.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
someone on our site had this exact problem about a month ago, he had a 2011 volt and bought a high end stereo and gps unit.
he never reported the outcome to the forum so hopefully this guy will be good to go

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually new units use the VIN # from ECM to veryify. Took to the dealer and they indicate no workaround for lock at the moment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks didn't have much luck. No workaround. Seems like once it's locked, out of luck. Don't know why that would be the case. YOu would think they can change and pair the radio to a new VIN easily.

·
Registered
121 Posts
ebay buyer protection to the rescue! Should be returnable considering it won't work as advertised. Good luck!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Thanks didn't have much luck. No workaround. Seems like once it's locked, out of luck. Don't know why that would be the case. YOu would think they can change and pair the radio to a new VIN easily.
Must be some anti-theft protection. Owell, get Ebay to refund your money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts