GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that when my fuel gauge/gas range drops below ~45 miles, it changes from displaying the miles of range that I have remaining to simply displaying "Low".

My gut reaction to this is that it's completely retarded.
  • I don't know if I have 40 miles of gas left or 4.
  • If I'm late to work and running on gas, I won't know if I need to stop right away to fill up, or if I have enough gas to wait to fill up on the way home.
  • If I'm going past a gas station with jacked-up prices, I don't know if I need to urgently stop and fill up, or if I can comfortably drive by and wait to find a station with better prices.
Does any other car do this? Is there something about the Volt's pressurized gas tank that makes the fuel gauge inherently inaccurate to such a high degree that GM doesn't think it's safe to even tell me that I have 30 or 40 miles left?

I also find it irritating how alarmist the low fuel warnings are. On both the DIC and the touchscreen I get this big "LOW FUEL! FILL UP NOW!" (or whatever it says) message blocking out anything else I might want to see. At least on the touchscreen it serves some purpose by asking if I want to see a list of nearby gas stations. (I have Nav.)

But still, I really don't appreciate being treated like a dumb child that can't be trusted to put gas in an empty tank. A polite "ding" and a little light or icon next to the fuel gauge is all I've experienced in any other car, and I think that would be more than sufficient if the damn car would just tell me how many freakin miles of range I have left. Gosh! :mad:

(I know I can check the OnStar app to see how many gas miles I have left. (It's 43 according to the app.) But that's not practical or safe to check while you're driving.)

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
My friend's 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada has the exact same LOW FUEL instead of showing miles remaining, so GM must have been doing this for quite a while. I think on old gas gauges, it makes sense, because regular gas gauges are not exactly accurate.

Come to think of it, if the gas tank level sensor is similar in the Volt, maybe it isn't really accurate when it gets close to empty either. It probably isn't really a digital sensor, even if the printout is digital.

Maybe the engineers decided they would rather scare the driver early, than to have him really run out of gas in a Volt. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been running around on about a gallon for a month now in my 2012. It gave me a low fuel warning the first day after I got that low but the next time I started the car it returned to showing miles without the warning. It varies in the estimated gas miles left between 39-41 miles each start.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you get the low fuel light, you can cancel the warning by turning the select knob to the left of the steering wheel. Simply rotate the knob left or right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd imagine that with fuel that low, it's not accurate anymore anyways. Going up a hill, down a hill or just stopping and accelerating can cause fuel to pool up on one side of the tank where the pump can't reach it, causing an engine stall.

My other car doesn't give me range at any time. Just a simple fuel gage and light, so when it gets down to fumes, I'm always at risk of running out, I just stop at my regular gas station whenever the light comes on, regardless of if I'm in a hurry or not. After all, I've had all that warning as the meter ticked down.

As an aside, my Scion (that the Volt replaced - lease termination), gave a range. I was on the way back into LA from the Redwoods, out in the boonies somewhere and was looking for cheap gas. I guess I tried too hard, because with 40 miles on the tank, I passed a rather expensive gas station thinking that there's surely cheaper gas at the next stop. Well, turns out there were no stops for 40 miles, and finally found a gas station on the outskirts, pulling in with 1 mile of remaining range. My wife was not too pleased.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
When you get the low fuel light, you can cancel the warning by turning the select knob to the left of the steering wheel. Simply rotate the knob left or right.
Or press the select button to stay on the same panel.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I agree that this indication pops up too early. I have other cars that did something similar, so this is not unique to the Volt. The uncertainty makes it worth grabbing a gallon of gas at the nearest station and who cares about the price when you only get a gallon?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a DIC from a 2002 Escalade wired into my 2000 Sierra. It will give you the range remaining in the tank, but once it goes below 65 km it just displays "LOW"

I did notice that the Onstar app on my Android continued to show the volume and distance remaining in the tank even though the dash just said "Low"

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the OnStar App on my Android phone. The last time this message displayed I used the OnStar app to see how many gallons of gas were left.

It's interesting that the App displayed the gallons (I assume correctly) but the Volt only displayed "low" instead of the typical miles-left.

We were on a 30-miles stretch of highway and I was letting someone else drive my Volt, so no, I wasn't "texting and driving" (or "App-ing" and driving, in this case).

Edit: Sorry, Rampage_Rick, I didn't realize that you mentined the same thing in your post -- just above mine -- until after I re-read what I posted.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Fuel guages used to just be a meter that indicated from empty to full. Now I'm reading drivers complaining that they don't have a range count right down to zero, etc. Least complicated solution is aovid playing brinkmanship with range and keep sufficient fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Hey bruv no one who drives a volt uses gas unless they have to and id rather have an 1/8 of a tank so mu fuel doesnt go bad
The car doesn't let the fuel go bad. If if gets too old it consumes it until there is sufficient fresh fuel added.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
The car doesn't let the fuel go bad. If if gets too old it consumes it until there is sufficient fresh fuel added.
And by "sufficient", the Volt means "at least a gallon and a half, no matter how little or much you had in the tank. If there's less, well, you got a gallon and a half more now. If there's no room, tough beans; burn some until there's room."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts