GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Volt
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in Texas. A friend of mine has a Volt a couple of years older than mine with slightly more miles. His traction battery just died. He is having problems finding a battery any where but at the dealer, and there is consideable lead time before he can get one.

When I bought my Volt which I have had for 8 months, the service manager said I could get refurbished batteries for less in San Antonio, but I can't find any references to Traction batteries but on Ebay. These don't appear to be refurbished. There is a company in Arizona that will sell unwarrantied modules for the traction battery. I am reticent to buy those.

Has anyone found a better source than these?

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
Auto junkyard or ebay?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
840 Posts
They have locations in TX:

I big on keeping things a long time, and spending extra for durability. However I wouldn't be willing to put that much money into the car for a used battery.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If it was me, and it probably will be me in a few years, I would sell the old car for what I could get for it, and buy one of the newer full electric cars. Like the new Mustang. Volts are great, but are getting longer in the tooth every day. I'm keeping mine because it is perfect for my needs and gives me no grief whatsoever. But if it gives me any trouble, I'll look for an out. There doesn't appear to be a long-term future for the Volt.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Might try Greentec Hybrid Batteries in Houston or Dallas.

5750 N Sam Houston Pkwy E STE 112, Houston, TX 77032

660 International Parkway, Suite #105, Richardson, TX 75081

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If it was me, and it probably will be me in a few years, I would sell the old car for what I could get for it, and buy one of the newer full electric cars. Like the new Mustang. Volts are great, but are getting longer in the tooth every day. I'm keeping mine because it is perfect for my needs and gives me no grief whatsoever. But if it gives me any trouble, I'll look for an out. There doesn't appear to be a long-term future for the Volt.
At least not until third-party solutions fill the gap GM left when it bailed on cell-level repairs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, I worry about when I will need a battery replacement due to all the special solar panel work I invested! Ill probably just pay the dealer price. Google for FrankenVolt to see how I use it for backup house power for a few days or a week! (and/or Camping with EV AC). - Bob

·
Administrator
21,238 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts