GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a picture of my 2013 Cyber Gray Volt, and my new 2015 auxiliary back-up Volt... Lease on the 2013 is just about up, and I liked it enough to buy a new one. I've only had it for a couple of hours, but here are some differences I've noted.

• Nav voice - still female, but lower in pitch and less synthetic sounding (pretty low in pitch, though...)
  • Voice recognition prompts also lower in pitch, but not as low as Nav prompts.
  • Backup camera - now has moving guidelines (2013 camera had no guidelines).
  • Charge door pops open manually - doesn't lock, unfortunately. Fuel door button where charge port button used to be. Key fob has vestigial charge port button.
  • Rear arm rest doesn't rattle (yet).
  • 4G LTE hotspot (3 month trial on data plan).
  • Will read text messages off your phone.
2014-07-26 12.04.10.jpg

·
Registered
177 Posts
How did you get a 1 year lease?

·
Registered
240 Posts
  • Charge door pops open manually - doesn't lock. Fuel door button where charge port button used to be.
Excellent. I want to see if I can retrofit the 2014 push-to-open door mechanism to my 2013. Who cares if it doesn't 'lock'? Is someone going to syphon electricity out while it's parked? Locking was the whole PROBLEM with the charge port door to begin with, glad to see it's gone.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Aside from minor software upgrades, the General is still taking stuff off the Volt huh?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder if I can get backup camera grid lines on my 14 I picked up a week and a half ago.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aside from minor software upgrades, the General is still taking stuff off the Volt huh?
True, but small things so far. The charge port door was a reliability thing - they serviced many sticking doors (though I fixed mine when the dealer could not). The two-tone interior option I really liked in my 2013 (mine is black/spice red; there was also black/white) is no longer available. In leather, solid black or pebble with suede are now the only options.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How much energy are you seeing out of a full depletion in the center stack? The 2015 model year has a new battery in it (relative to the older model years)
Haven't depleted the first charge yet - will post when I have a couple of times.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent. I want to see if I can retrofit the 2014 push-to-open door mechanism to my 2013. Who cares if it doesn't 'lock'? Is someone going to syphon electricity out while it's parked? Locking was the whole PROBLEM with the charge port door to begin with, glad to see it's gone.
Who cares? Admittedly not everyone, but I do. I live in the middle of the city, near a popular entertainment district, and someone (drunk, crazy, curious, or just hostile) has messed with my charge port twice. They broke my EVSE once by twisting it and trying to pull it out for some reason (dealer was nice enough to replace it under warranty). I realize the port door latch wouldn't have prevented this, but the less they can mess with, the better.

Actually, with my 2013, it wasn't the locking mechanism but that the spring was insufficient at times to overcome friction between the gasket and the collar around the port. I fixed it by removing the silicone grease the dealer said they were told to put on it as a repair, and spraying it with silicone spray instead. It's been seven months and it hasn't stuck again.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Would you please share the details on your lease deal? How did it compare to leasing a 2014?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Would you please share the details on your lease deal? How did it compare to leasing a 2014?
Actually, I just purchased it this time. I got what I think was a great deal on my 2013 (2 years, 10k miles, first month's payment at signing (plus refundable security deposit and tags), $44,545 MSRP, $37,380 out-the-door cap cost, payments of $270/mo before DC sales tax ($302/month with tax; DC taxes monthly lease payments at 10%). Residual was pretty high ($33,408).

I was able to buy a 2015 with all the same packages (premium, safety 1&2, polished wheels, Bose/nav, MSRP $39,645) for $34,102 (plus $165 registration and fees and $300 dealer processing (which is typical here)). However, I will get the $7,500 federal tax rebate, lowering my net cost to $26,602. DC waives the excise tax for "high-mpg hybrids," saving me another $2,100, so my net compared to a non-"hybrid" is $24,502.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually, I just purchased it this time. I got what I think was a great deal on my 2013 (2 years, 10k miles, 1 payment down (plus refundable security deposit and tags), $44,545 MSRP, $37,380 out-the-door cap cost, payments of $270/mo before DC sales tax ($302/month with tax; DC taxes monthly lease payments at 10%). Residual was pretty high ($33,408). I was able to buy a 2015 with all the same packages (premium, safety 1&2, polished wheels, Bose/nav) for $34,102 (plus $165 registration and fees and $300 dealer processing (which is typical here)). However, I will get the $7,500 federal tax rebate, lowering my net cost to $26,602. DC waives the excise tax for "high-mpg hybrids," saving me another $2,100, so my net compared to a non-"hybrid" is $24,502.
That sounds like a great deal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like a great deal.
Thanks, Charlie! Actually, reviewing the paperwork for the lease of my 2013 back in August 2012, it wasn't 1 payment down, just that I was paying the first month at signing...

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
They need to get to a lower price point. Stuff like the $2k navigation upgrade adds up considerably. We need to see EVs get to sub $29K and lower for them to really gain traction. But do offer premium upgrades to those who do feel $2k navigation is worth adding during the "just throw it in" negotiations with the salespeople. I would like to see GM hit the EV market hard in 2016 with affordable and yet highly capable EVs. The 200 mile e-Sonic and national Spark EV campaign and more. They also should decouple the drivetrains like what BMW did engineered by at least one ex-GM Volt engineer) in the i3 and make it an option, perhaps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
  • Charge door pops open manually - doesn't lock, unfortunately. Fuel door button where charge port button used to be. Key fob has vestigial charge port button.
I don't know if I'd use "vestigal" to describe it. That makes it sound useless. It does have at least 1 function I know of. If your volt is set to delayed charge and it isn't charging yet, you can double click the charge button on the fob and start charging immediately.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts