GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Facts: Leased new in March 2013; have 19047 miles as of Dec 10, 2014. Love the car; HATE the car. Because of so many problems, GM better give me a too-good-to-be-true deal to lease a 2016. In most of the dealership repair visits, they have provided a Volt. That's when I noticed a big difference between mine and 2014. 2014 is less noisy in engine power mode; and the heating system seems to work properly. Here's a brief history of our frustration.

4-1-13 Blue tooth problem. Took into dealership for fix.
4-3-13 Control panel in center console froze up.
4-6-13 Audio panel froze up.
4-8-13 Dealership did program update
4-13-13 Noise in engine compartment that sounded like door or flap slamming shut - like on an air conditioning compressor. Dealership said was normal sound.
4-24-13 Console screen froze again
5-1-13 Had audio console replaced
7-25-13 Climate display froze after car sitting for 12 days. Fan speeds worked, but the Climate display did not work. Audio was all screwed up. Console said POWER OFF yet car was running. Dealer replaced radio.
12-23-13 Power inverter module reprogrammed.
12-23-13 Suspension repair CONSIDERED due to intermittent weird sound under driver floorboard. Sensation is like a rubber flap going around and occasionally thumping into undercarriage. Is not rhythmic. Noticeable when turning and especially when backing out of garage at slow, sharp speed turns. Repair delayed until more noticeable and consistent.
12-23-13 Charge door occasionally popping open. Charge door with actuator replaced.
12-27-13 Coolant Heater Module replaced. Auxiliary heater coolant pump intermittently failing - no circulation through heater core. "when engine was running, heat is okay. When there is no cabin heat, heater core temps climb to 180 degrees, can see temp dropping and then there is heat." Coolant pump was replaced. (we're still frustrated with this HVAC system! It's definitely not smart. When you get into the car on a cold day and press AUTO, the fan feels like a jet engine AND blowing cold air. There's no gradual fan/heat action like a gas-powered car. After almost two years, we STILL cannot figure out this system. We also had numerous problems with window fogging. Even after instruction on "proper" use of the CLIMATE system, we STILL had fogging problems in the back seat windows. This should not be happening!!)
2-13-14 Emission/Driveability Repair - SES light is on. Sensor was replaced even though problem was intermittent.
6-23-14 Took car to dealership because of floorboard/steering noise. Cannot find problem source.
10-29-14 Took back to dealership for driver-side undercarriage ratcheting noise and physical sensation. Over the past several months, I would stop into the dealership to have them check the noise and sensation I was feeling, but the tech could not replicate. Upon this visit he felt a faint sensation in his foot. Upon full inspection, tech could not find any anomolies. SOP mounts for chronic intermittent condition. Binding popping in front springs when turning wheels at times. Upper strut bearings binding. Bearings replaced.
12-5-14 Undercarriage noise and sensation EXTREMELY noticeable even though intermittent. Felt like something was pushing up under foot in driver's side floorboard when steering wheel was turning. Tech was able to feel full sensation. Replaced and installed new Gear ASM-Elec DUAL Pinion R/Pinion Steering. (Apparently GM engineers had other 2013 Volts with same problem).
12-12-14 - Radio froze up AGAIN after ending panel phone call. Have not taken back to dealership yet.

This is crazy. It is/was a new car. I should not be having all of these problems. Thank goodness I'm retired and the dealership is only 6 miles from my house. Otherwise, the inconvenience of having to run down there every few months would be beyond acceptable. Note: My dealership has been very helpful. The tech and I are on first name basis (unfortunately). All service personnel have been courteous (Heidebrecht Chevrolet in Romeo, MI). But I could spit nails over being so mad about this car. I am going to send this forum list to Ms. Alicia Boler-Davis, Sr. VP - Global Quality and Customer Experience.

·
602 Posts
I feel your pain

·
Registered
265 Posts
I feel you pain as well.
Oh the pains of being an "early adopter" of modern automotive technology :(

·
Registered
679 Posts
I hear you, my 2013 has been more problem free, beside usual stuff my heater needed to be reprogrammed and has worked since. I am happy with my 2013, i wish yours had been as good. It would be great if they were all good, but every so often all the bad parts line up on one car. It doesn't help if you have a crappy dealer either, it makes it worse.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I feel you pain as well.
Oh the pains of being an "early adopter" of modern automotive technology :(
Actually the early-early adopters seemed to have had less trouble. Seems there have been more issues with the 2013 Volts than with the 2011/2012 model years.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Sorry you've had trouble. My I bought my fully loaded 2013 in October 2012 and it has been 100% trouble free. So I say 2013 is the perfect car to buy! :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
There seems to be some bad luck here. You had a problem with your heater, which unfortunately is a weak point on the car after engineering "improved" it. You had a problem with the console, which doesn't happen that frequently but does happen. And you had a problem with the steering, which a number of people have experienced. There is a warranty extension for this BTW. Seems like all of these things have been fixed.

What remains is minor and/or highly subjective. I also fear you may be coming across as a PITA customer which is usually a recipe for less than stellar service. In this regard, I suspect some of the repair work was done just to try and keep you happy, which isn't an ideal solution. It's not really a solution, it tears things up, and it wastes a lot of everyone's time, including yours.

Let's just take one example. Your charge port door would open intermittently. I've had the charge port door pop open when driving. Might be the door. Might be I didn't shut it fully. Might be I forgot to shut it. What I do know is that after the light went on and I stopped and shut it, it didn't come open again. Would I think to take the car to the dealer for this? Not in a thousand years. A dealer visit is a pain, the problem isn't reproducible, and it's most likely "user error". I'm not saying that you're wrong for deciding it's a fault with the car and you want to take it to the dealer, but I'll note one of us is considerably more unhappy than the other.

·
Registered
341 Posts
In 1 1/2 years you have had too many issues for a new car. Thank goodness this is under warranty and you are a trooper to still want to lease a 2016 after this experience.

Clearly this is a run of bad luck and is not typical for this car. There are a few quirks we all have to live with but not all of the things on your list qualify as just quirks. Good Luck...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Wow, what a laundry list of issues. That's completely opposite of my 2013. The only problem I've had was needing to have the Power Inverter software update done during an oil change. But in the last couple of weeks my charge port door is sticking - not popping open. Have to use a finger to help it.

So since I need to get my tires rotated I'll have that looked at.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Nothing wrong with our 2013 other than a one-time inability to charge due to low coolant. The new recommended coolant level appears to have solved that issue.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
477 Posts
I've never had a problem with my 2013 Volt even though I ran over a cement parking divider in a dark parking lot (they forgot to remove that sole divider during parking lot renovations).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Early adopteR?!~ Sorry but that drives me nuts. They did R&D on this car for how many years and the original release was 2011. By 2013 these kinks should have been worked out by now. It's not isolated to a few cars as BOTH of our Volts have many of the same issues. At least they warrantied the horribly designed defective steering racks till 10 years 150k but wtf. I'll never buy another Volt again.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
My 2013 had the steering issue. Went away on it's own. No other issues.

The charge door was popped open on occasion, but, is that really a problem requiring a dealer visit? Like twice in two years. I've hit the button when parking at work. Reflex action. Did that more often than it popping on it's own. Now if it popped every day I'd have them take a peek.

·
Administrator
20,460 Posts
My 2011 has been rock solid. My guess is the 2016 will be to and I'll be seriously considering it as my second EV. It's the later years that seem to have more issues as they try to take costs out of the car. If I had the choice between a 2016 and a 2018, I'd get the 2016 since it's the first of the new model and a lot of eyes will be on it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sorry to hear about all the issues. Hopefully you can hang on till the new arrives. Of course you are in a lease so I not sure how that would work if you could terminate and get a 15. Later aceinsp

1 - 20 of 29 Posts