GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. While I’ve been following this group for sometime now, this is my first post. I look forward to learning and sharing knowledge of our love for the Chevy Volts.

I have a 2013 Volt 96k miles.
FYI-the 12V battery was replaced about 6 months ago. The following issues started slowly about 9 months ago., but are becoming more frequent, especially in the last month!
Sometimes when I am use the steering wheel volume control to turn the volume up, the volume will go down, and Vice verse. This happens regardless of Drive mode.

Two days ago, I got in my Volt , and selected heat seat option, there was no response, pushed Auto Climate, no response, pushed Cimate Control, no response, also tried using the manual fan control, no response.

While charging, the key fob and the key hook inside my house. The car alarm starts going off! Am able to stop it, by pushing the lock door button on key fob. This will happen several times out maybe just once. The charging cord has been replaced.

Seat belt will start going off while driving. Wether the seat is occupied or not, and when there is nothing on the seat!

Took to the dealership this week! Said they could do nothing unless the issue was active at that time.

·
Administrator
20,434 Posts
You need to take these one at a time. For example, the seat belt warning will display if there is something on the seat that triggers it's sensor. Does not need to be a person. Was there something on the seat when thi happened? If so, what was it?

The car alarm will go off if power is interrupted while charging whether from the outlet or unplugging the car.

The seat heater control or the actual seat heater element may need replacing. You don't mention if the seat heater lights go on or once on they remain on.

Either the steering wheel volume control is bas or you are actually turning the vol down when you think you are turning it up.

The dealer is correct regarding diagnosing issues that are not present when they test. Hard to fix something that doesn't present as broken. Of course you could always have them replace all the parts instead, could get expensive and may not fix the actual source of the issue.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a post warranty gremlin messing with your car to encourage you to buy another one. Not really, but this sounds like an electrical fault somewhere, corroded connector, rusted ground point. Has the car been in a rainstorm or carwash with the windows down? Have you ever had the engine bay washed?

·
Registered
13,925 Posts
Also, check the battery connections in the back. While you are at it, make sure what you replaced it with was an AGM batter, not a standard one, finally, check the fuses for the seat heater. Maybe the seat heater and occupancy sensor are on the same fuse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to take these one at a time. For example, the seat belt warning will display if there is something on the seat that triggers it's sensor. Does not need to be a person. Was there something on the seat when thi happened? If so, what was it?

The car alarm will go off if power is interrupted while charging whether from the outlet or unplugging the car.

The seat heater control or the actual seat heater element may need replacing. You don't mention if the seat heater lights go on or once on they remain on.

Either the steering wheel volume control is bas or you are actually turning the vol down when you think you are turning it up.

The dealer is correct regarding diagnosing issues that are not present when they test. Hard to fix something that doesn't present as broken. Of course you could always have them replace all the parts instead, could get expensive and may not fix the actual source of the issue.
Thank you for mentioning to take these issues one at a time. As to your reply!
I had mentioned there was nothing in the seat. Yes, I am aware the seat belt indicator will show two people in the seat, when they are both occupied. Mentioned it happens when no nothing is in the seat.

I could easily believe, I had mistakenly turned down the volume, thinking I was turning up, but it has happened over 10 times.

I made mistake of not clarifying about the light indicator. When I put nothing, that would be taken for granted, my bad. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I mean no disrespect with my replies, just thought if you were aware of what I’ve done, you might have other ideas on these issues.
No disrespect intended, or implied.
Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, check the battery connections in the back. While you are at it, make sure what you replaced it with was an AGM batter, not a standard one, finally, check the fuses for the seat heater. Maybe the seat heater and occupancy sensor are on the same fuse.
Will do! Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a post warranty gremlin messing with your car to encourage you to buy another one. Not really, but this sounds like an electrical fault somewhere, corroded connector, rusted ground point. Has the car been in a rainstorm or carwash with the windows down? Have you ever had the engine bay washed?

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
11 Posts
Could be a loose ground or connector, but I wouldn’t know where to start on a car this complex. I feel your pain though - random electrical glitches like these are extremely frustrating to track down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts