GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

After much research and two test drives, yesterday I put down a deposit and ordered a 2013 Volt. Here are the specs of my new ride:

Cyber Gray Metallic exterior.
Jet Black and Spice Red seats/Dark Accents Leather interior.
Bose MyLink audio system with Navigation
Premium Trim Package
Safety Packages 1 & 2
Polished Aluminum wheels

In short, I got every factory option that was available and even upgraded the wheels from standard, although I don't really like the highest-end wheels with the black inserts.

The dealer was the 3rd one I went to - the first two were helpful, but just don't understand a 'net savvy buyer. I kept hounding the first test drive salesman to return my calls and e-mails so I place my order and I guess he wasn't interested.

Anyway, this dealer was a tad further away (although not too far) and claims that the order has already been entered and I might even guest a formal order number tomorrow (Monday). Then the long wait starts until production and delivery.

This will be my first sedan in a LONG time... my current car that I'll be trading in is a 2012 VW Eos. Before that were 3 Mini Cooper S' and before that was an Audi TT. Needless to say, I'm hopeful that the driving experience will be at least good in other dimensions since I know it won't be as go-kart as the Mini or as spirited and open-air as the Eos. I'll miss the convertible, but down here in S. Fla, the only times to drive topless in the summer are on the way to work or out to dinner. The Eos is kinda fun, but has a LOT of balance issues that cause wheel spin and handling issues due to the heavy metal top. I kinda vowed to never buy a car that didn't have at least a sunroof, so hopefully I won't be too disappointed in the Volt's lack thereof.

My daily commute to work is 22 miles round trip, so I can easily do a full week's diving while charging overnight and never using gas.

So a few questions - I ordered the new Safety Package 2 which includes the Front Park Assist, Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. Does anyone have any info on how these work? I'm a gadget geek and love knowing the details of stuff that I buy. I even RTFM - all of them.

BTW, the ordering system wouldn't let me order the Rear Seat Storage/Barrier since I got the removable armrest as part of the Premium Trim package. I presume this is because if you don't remove the armrest, the barrier won't fit. Guess I'll have to buy the barrier as a dealer option (at twice the cost)...

Anyway, thanks in advance for the info on the safety package and I look forward to being a card-carrying member of the Volt family as soon as my 2013 is built and delivered!

BTW, I custom-ordered my last 2 MINI Coopers and it was really cool following the build and delivery processes. I think I read somewhere in these forums that there is a similar tracking system for the build of my Volt. Any info/advice?

Thanks again,
Scott

·
Registered
42 Posts
Congratulations- I ordered the same car with the exception of the wheel upgrades on June 2, 2012. My targeted production week (TPW) is July 16th. You'll receive a 6 letter order code from the dealer and then you can track at gmconnects.com. - Your wait might be shorter as the factory is just coming off a 2 or 3 week summer production break. Production is either resuming tomorrow or on July 2.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I can't wait. The dealer claimed that they have 4 "images" already allocated but mine will just ahead in line for them and should be the first 2013 they get. I really like the Eos but the driving dynamics and poor mileage (20mpg avg) really detract from the open-air fun. Am really looking forward to diving the Volt around. I actually see more Maserati's and Bentley's around than Volt's, so it'll almost be an "exotic" car for these parts :)

·
8,680 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome. My previous car (still my other car, for now,) was an '08 Eos, actually. That was my favorite car ever then, with the quick delivery of the DSG/2.0T and the remarkable glass sunroof/hardtop. Compared to the Volt, though, it's so much hassle - loud, vibrating, and the off-the-lin challenges DSG always had - that I hardly drive it. I was thinking with the coming of spring, I'd enjoy the convertible more, but that didn't really happen either. (FWIW, I was averaging 27 mpg with mine...)

Pretty sure you'll love the Volt - in Sport and L it'll feel both quicker and more planted than your Eos did, though if you'd actually floored the Eos, it would be faster. The silent grace with which power comes on makes us much more willing to use the Volt's power off the line regularly. The directly pedal response and instant access to all the power the car has are just bonuses. :)

We don't know much about Front Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning, because they weren't available on 2011 or 2012 Volts. (I've read that they use a camera or two to track the lane lines and the approach of objects in front.) On 2011/2012 Volts, Front Park Assist works exactly like the rear - a line of ultrasonic transducers on the bumper (they activate together, front is a high pitched beep, rear a lower pitch.) The removable armrest is also new.

When you do get your car, think about joining Voltstats.net. It's a website one of our members designed which uses OnStar protocols to automatically pull trip type data from the car for you - it makes keeping track of fuel economy brainless, and along the way it gives us some insight into how the fleet as a whole is driving - over 1100 cars and almost 9 million miles so far. It's also the best answer we have to Fox News type "30 mile, 30 mpg" naysayers.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have to admit, the 2013 is somewhat tempting over the 2012. I definitely prefer the 2012 exterior look (the black roof and tail make the car more unique to me), and also prefer the neutral/tan interior (now replaced with pebble beige/suede...the color might be similar, but not a fan of suede on seats). My Link with NAV and the extra 3 miles of battery are the big changes I like. My round trip commute is about 38 miles (i.e. I am on the bubble and might like that extra 3 miles).
Normally, I wouldn't care about the lane departure warning (did not get it on our new Volvo), but the Volt does have some blind spots so it might be nice. I can tell you that, on the Volvo, folks have complained of false warnings, etc. which sort of defeats the purpose (i.e. everything from rain, snow, bright lights/lane markers causing "false positives"). Our Volvo does have "City Safety" which actually applies the brakes in the event of a potential front-end collision (note: actually engaged once on the freeway - whew). Since the Chevy system is labeled as an "Alert" I'm not sure if it goes that far or just sounds an alert.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Thanks! I can't wait. The dealer claimed that they have 4 "images" already allocated but mine will just ahead in line for them and should be the first 2013 they get. I really like the Eos but the driving dynamics and poor mileage (20mpg avg) really detract from the open-air fun. Am really looking forward to diving the Volt around. I actually see more Maserati's and Bentley's around than Volt's, so it'll almost be an "exotic" car for these parts :)
I'm a little south of you but know what you mean about the exotics. I've seen 4 Fisker Karma's on the road but only 2 Volts. A Fisker dealer is right around the corner from my office but I think only one of the ones on the road was on a test drive.

You should get about 38-43 electric miles in the city and 35-40 on the highway depending on how fast you drive...oops add 3 miles to all for 2013's extra electric range. Highway gas consumption should be 35-42mpg.

The rims with the inserts were supposed to have better aero but I've never seen anything that puts numbers to their benefit. Really wish they offered an aero "package" that offered a few aero tweaks.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies! If money were no object, I'd be getting a Tesla Model S with the 300 mile range instead, but I think the Volt will suit me quite well - especially versus the Eos. I was totally drooling over the Fisker until I read/saw reviews of the built-in control system. I'm a UI Designer by trade and a gadget geek, and could not live with the problems that have been noted on the Karma. The Tesla, though, seems awesome but just a tad too pricey for my current financial situation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
TT Could you pl tell us where did you buy (the dealership) Volt? I live in Broward Co and still looking... Thanks

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TT Could you pl tell us where did you buy (the dealership) Volt? I live in Broward Co and still looking... Thanks
Hi Pat,

I called Maroone up in Delray and spoke to a salesman about the Volt, but he wasn't really interested unless I committed to come in for a drive. I did a test drive and a phone call volley with a salesman at Lou Bachrodt (the closest dealer to my house) but he didn't seem interested in helping out for a 2013 order would rather have just sold me a 2012 off the lot. I ultimately drove a little further out to Ed Morse by Sawgrass after several e-mail and phone volleys with some helpful people. There, I did another test drive and then put down my deposit and ordered the 2013. Of course, we didn't do the purchase yet, so no prices were discussed (aside from the MSRP on the order form), but I'm hopeful that once the car arrives and we sit down to do the trade in and purchase negotiations, that we'll come to a mutually-agreeable number. If not, by then the 2013 models should start arriving and I can go elsewhere to buy a not-exact but close enough one off the lot.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Since you are in FL, I'd recommend contacting Stingray in Plant City. Lotsa bucks off MSRP- and I am sure they will be discounting 2013s, as well. Lotsa posts here about folks driving from multiple states away; it's worth the trip.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The rear center arm rest is new for 2013 and comes with the premium trim package. To my knowledge GM has not yet released a picture of what it will look like. I'm guessing it will take up the space between the seats so that the rear close out barrier isn't required.

·
Registered
208 Posts
To my knowledge GM has not yet released a picture of what it will look like. I'm guessing it will take up the space between the seats so that the rear close out barrier isn't required.
If you check the 2013 Volt Interior and Exterior Color Availability poster, you can see what the rear arm rest looks like. It does not look like it completely blocks the space between the rear seats leading into the hatchback area. Treat the poster with a grain of salt though. It shows Silver Ice Metallic as almost exactly the same color (i.e. within one RGB value) as Silver Topaz Metallic.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Congrats. Your commute sounds similar to mine. I have gone about 1300 miles, all EV. If you are thinking about getting any accessories, Tonkin Chevy is a forum member and they provide discounts on all Volt accessories to members of this forum. I got the cabin air filter and rear seat storage unit from them.

I second Walter's suggestion to sign up for voltstats.net.

·
Registered
258 Posts
BTW, I custom-ordered my last 2 MINI Coopers and it was really cool following the build and delivery processes. I think I read somewhere in these forums that there is a similar tracking system for the build of my Volt. Any info/advice?
Thanks to Scott F. (ScottF200) for keeping this link in his signature. Here is great information on the tracking of your Volt production. I tracked mine using this, and as you said, it was a LOT of fun!

>>>-----> http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5110-Tracking-Your-Volt-Order&p=45524#post45524

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Stingray is a big supporter of the Volt and helping us here on the Volt site. Great dealer, helping us ween our way off foreign oil.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Gratz on your order Scott! I also have a MY2013 on order. Like you, we just placed the order and haven't talked price. I hope it works out, has me a little nervous. It was my first time ordering a car from scratch so wasn't sure if we negotiated price now or when it comes in. I did tell my salesman I'm not paying MSRP. I used to live in the Miami area so I recognized some of those dealers. I plan to move to Orlando next year, can't wait to get back to FL. I'm a fellow gadget geek and it's part of what attracts me to the Volt. It's also why I ordered the 2013. MyLink is one more piece of tech that I really wanted. Hope you enjoy your Volt when you get it! I'm going to contact my dealer to see if they have an order number for mine yet.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you check the 2013 Volt Interior and Exterior Color Availability poster, you can see what the rear arm rest looks like. It does not look like it completely blocks the space between the rear seats leading into the hatchback area. Treat the poster with a grain of salt though. It shows Silver Ice Metallic as almost exactly the same color (i.e. within one RGB value) as Silver Topaz Metallic.
Wow, I glossed over the fact that the MY2013 with Premium Trim comes with an armrest. I thought it was just rear closeout/storage thing that's offered as an accessory now. I'm curious to see how well it does block out the rear. That's the main reason I want it, not so much for an actual armrest as I normally don't have people in the back.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Congrats on the car Scott. I think you'll really enjoy it.

I think Front Park Assist, Collision Alert, and Lane Departure Warnings are all simply alerts. On the Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warnings I'd like to see them go the next step and just take control of the car and stop you. I've had Adaptive Cruise Control on previous cars and it's fantastic. Audi is coming out with a feature that will keep the car in the lane at under 40 MPH. But alerts are better than nothing. They are especially useful when alerting you to stopped traffic on freeways. The radio based ones at least react a lot faster than you normally would. (One of my cars just plain stopped me, which probably saved me from rear ending someone. Luckily the person behind me stopped as well -- that's always the issue. You stop and then you pray the driver behind you does the same.)

I have the Park Assist on my car and it works fine. Gives you some useful information about how far you are from walls etc.

Very cool that Walter could give you such a rundown on your EOS. I don't think those are that common. At least they're not where I am, which is weird because VWs and convertibles are popular.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Buck - thanks for the chart! I have been wondering what the pebble beige leather interior looked like and while the pics aren't great it has some significant differences to the 2011/2012 neutral interior. It looks like the console, rear doors, and parts of the dash are all beige in the 2013 pebble beige interior whereas in the 2011/2012 model those are all black (except for the armrests - this may be just the reverse on a 2013). I can't tell for sure in the pic where the suede insert is (could be the entire middle between the bolsters - not clear).

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts