GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, original owner of 2013 Volt with 67k miles. Last week the car switched from battery to ICE with 4 miles remaining on the battery meter. This happened while accelerating (reasonably) onto a highway. Note-- the same behavior started to happen on occasion recently, but the car stayed in ICE mode or sometimes even switched back to the battery when slowing down/turning onto side streets.

This time though, the AC instantly started blowing warm, the CEL came on and the reduced propulsion warning displayed. We made it home (only about 1.5 miles) and when we exited the vehicle there was a very strong "hot engine" smell from under the hood.

The next morning we discovered the car won't charge (light on top of dash stays orange, car displays "unable to charge" message. Attempting to start the car displays 0 miles on the battery meter, which is grayed out along with the gas gauge. No propulsion to the car of any kind.

The only DLC is P0AFA. Using the MyGreenVolt app I was able to see the following (see pic below). So basically, I need some opinions. Is the propulsion battery pack so far gone that it needs replacing or is there hope that something less serious is going on? I also find it curious that the cells with the lowest readings are all grouped in the same section. Software issue?Expert opinions and diagnostic advice appreciated. Thanks!

Rectangle Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Parallel

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,172 Posts
Yes, those two low cells are the issue. P0AFA refers to a cell in the high voltage battery out of spec.

Reactions: michaelnolie88

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd try taking to your dealer and see if they have applied or can reapply the TSB: #21-NA-224 (October, 2021). I had this done to my son's 2011 after experiencing a similar issue to yours and it has been fine since December, 2021. Worth a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts