GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, my 2013 was in a relatively minor accident. However, there was a major EV module behind the right front end bumper which was damaged. Why would Chevrolet place such a critical component behind the bumper? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Sadly, my 2013 was in a relatively minor accident. However, there was a major EV module behind the right front end bumper which was damaged. Why would Chevrolet place such a critical component behind the bumper? :confused:
Yes, that is the Lear 3.3kW High Voltage Charger on your Gen1 that is destroyed. You will be happy to know this has been moved from the 'outside' into the inside on the Gen2...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I never understood why they put the charger there, and then had to run those orange cables all the way over to the charge port on the opposite side.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My guess is they simply didn't have enough space anywhere else up front.
It was easier to run cables than to find what appears to be a full cubic ft of space in an already full engine bay.
Alternative would be to move one of the coolant reservoirs outside, like they do for washer fluid.
But those are more critical than charging.
Overheated/damaged battery or engine = dead vehicle.
Damaged charger = drive on gas to get it repaired.

Then, I would imagine, along came someone in a meeting about gen2 and said 'uhh, why not just place it in the trunk if you're going to use that much cabling anyway?'
et voilà.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
My guess is they simply didn't have enough space anywhere else up front.
It was easier to run cables than to find what appears to be a full cubic ft of space in an already full engine bay.
Alternative would be to move one of the coolant reservoirs outside, like they do for washer fluid.
Washer fluid...yeah! Why not put the washer fluid reservoir on the passenger side, and the charger on the drivers side? Much closer to the charge port. Or...keep the charger where it is and put the charge port in front behind the "grille" like many other EV's do? Why didn't the Chevy engineers consult me on this? :)

·
Administrator
20,183 Posts
As posted by somms, they realized there was a better way and corrected it in Gen 2.

Cars are always a sum total of various compromises in style, performance, price tag, available technology. I'm pretty sure that's true of $300,000 cars as well.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Washer fluid...yeah! Why not put the washer fluid reservoir on the passenger side, and the charger on the drivers side? Much closer to the charge port. Or...keep the charger where it is and put the charge port in front behind the "grille" like many other EV's do? Why didn't the Chevy engineers consult me on this? :)
Driver side gets hit more often than passenger side and the hits are relatively harder on average. If you're stuck with a "behind the bumper" position for something expensive, you wanna have it on the passenger side, and put something cheap on the driver side.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Exactly the same thing happened to our 2013, and the car was totaled. Otherwise, if it had not damaged the electrical component, it could have been repaired. We were terribly lucky in that we had paid the loan down low enough that we didn't have to pay anything (although our insurance went way up since it was a rear-ender and we were judged 51% at fault!) We were able to buy a second hand 2014 that was even nicer, a premium model and fairly low miles, so it didn't turn into a disaster for us. It never occurred to us not to buy another Volt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, my volt is still in the shop; been there nearly 2 months! It's being fixed and the bill will be over 4k. Insurance will cover except for my deductible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts