GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I repaired 2 broken regulator tabs, put everything together which was pretty easy since there are only 2 harnesses to plug in, hookup the latch cable and feed the lock through the inside door cover. I checked the window operation and it worked fine, I close the door and notice the lock was not going all the way down in lock position. Then I couldn't open the door, I tried the inside latch, the outside handle, the fob unlock. It looks like something is jamming the lock closed. So now I have to figure out a way to open the door so I can pop the inside cover and take a look. I am open to suggestions but I am thinking I will have to go in the window slot and somehow jimmy the lock (slim jim like), any suggestions on another method to open a locked door?

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Yikes. Some linkage appear to be jammed. Try the slim jim method, sure. The only idea I have is to cut off the inside plastic door panel with a dremel. Hopefully someone else has a less destructive method.

Last resort: dealer

·
Registered
174 Posts
You say that the button doesn't go all the way down, could you possibly get a hold of it with pliers and pull up as you try other methods to unlock?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Solved: the cable was not seated properly up by the inside handle. This made the effective length of the cable longer so pulling the handle did not cause enough cable movement to actuate the door opening. This one cable is needed for both the inside and outside latches to work. So the lesson is to check the latch workings before closing the door when ever you remove the inside door cover. I had to lever the top inside panel loose to get down from the top to the inside door lever workings to fix this, it was not easy.
I tried the slim jim method but it did not help, the reason being the cable was not moving enough to actuate the latch mechanism.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yikes. Some linkage appear to be jammed. Try the slim jim method, sure. The only idea I have is to cut off the inside plastic door panel with a dremel. Hopefully someone else has a less destructive method.

Last resort: dealer
Well, looks like the top of the inside door can be levered out and muscled over to give you about a 4-5inch access to get your hand/needle nose pliers down to properly seat the cable.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
Well, looks like the top of the inside door can be levered out and muscled over to give you about a 4-5inch access to get your hand/needle nose pliers down to properly seat the cable.
Thanks for the followup, Ducman. I'm glad you found a DIY solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts