GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Gen 1, 2013. It started doing this about 8 months ago where it'll drop out of EV mode (while it still has miles of EV left) and switch to ICE. It'll run the ICE for about 1 mile, then switch back to EV for 1 mile, then switch back again, etc etc, until 0. Sometimes it'll go 2 or 3 miles on EV, then switch back, sometimes just 1. It has 110,000 miles on it.... I live in florida, so no cold weather effects here (Miami).

I think my original post got moved to the Gen2 forum somehow... but I have new info on this one. These are the images of the battery SOC and the voltage levels after I completely ran the battery to 0. It used a total of 8.9 KwH to go 34 miles total. This is in florida, so no cold weather warm up needed. If it is just 1 module that is bad, can the dealer replace/find the damaged cells/module? or does this need to be a full pack repair?

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I believe that your battery low voltage and average voltage levels are below normal. Using the dollar add-on to the MyGreenVolt app will let you see the voltage levels of each individual battery cell.

Reactions: leppard3

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 2 questions.

1) how do I buy the dollar add on, I don't see an option anywhere in the app?

2) will it even matter if I can see the individual cells? As I believe the dealer will only replace modules at best, whole packs at worst, no? Is there a way to repair the offending cell or just the module?

Thanks in advance! Also, what is considered "normal" so I can know what I'm comparing to. 3.6?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
104 Posts
You have a variance between cells of .49 volts, anything above .3 volts is out of spec. I think you are on borrowed time.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Thanks, 2 questions.

2) will it even matter if I can see the individual cells? As I believe the dealer will only replace modules at best, whole packs at worst, no? Is there a way to repair the offending cell or just the module?

Thanks in advance! Also, what is considered "normal" so I can know what I'm comparing to. 3.6?
1. It has been a while...I don't remember, sadly 8^( The app does have a link. I think that you may have to have cell tower connection, not WiFi, to download the add-on. At least, I DO know that a cell tower connection is required each time the app is opened and "battery" is selected for the add-on to work (that's how the software was written, I believe). It requires that initial handshake to verify the authenticity each time.

2. I believe that an educated consumer has a better chance in getting a satisfactory result. Your knowing which cells are suspect provides you with a talking point when discussing your problem with the dealer.

3. Wordptom has written a good thought on voltage levels: 2013 keeps switching to ICE for 1 mile, then switching...

·
Registered
82 Posts
So I have a Gen 1, 2013. It started doing this about 8 months ago where it'll drop out of EV mode (while it still has miles of EV left) and switch to ICE. It'll run the ICE for about 1 mile, then switch back to EV for 1 mile, then switch back again, etc etc, until 0. Sometimes it'll go 2 or 3 miles on EV, then switch back, sometimes just 1. It has 110,000 miles on it.... I live in florida, so no cold weather effects here (Miami).

I think my original post got moved to the Gen2 forum somehow... but I have new info on this one. These are the images of the battery SOC and the voltage levels after I completely ran the battery to 0. It used a total of 8.9 KwH to go 34 miles total. This is in florida, so no cold weather warm up needed. If it is just 1 module that is bad, can the dealer replace/find the damaged cells/module? or does this need to be a full pack repair?

Thanks in advance,
you have a one or more weak cell the HPCM2 module doesnt like the deltavoltage is more than 500mV

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Thanks, 2 questions.

Are you using the latest version of the app? Go to Battery, then slide over to Cell Voltages, and you should see a Purchase button. Then you will see the green bar graph for all cell voltages.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you using the latest version of the app? Go to Battery, then slide over to Cell Voltages, and you should see a Purchase button. Then you will see the green bar graph for all cell voltages.
Ahh, that was it. I had downloaded this when I bought my volt back in 2014 and never downloaded it again. I downloaded the new one and Now i see the purchase button, thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have a one or more weak cell the HPCM2 module doesnt like the deltavoltage is more than 500mV
What options do I have to fix it? Replace the whole HV battery pack? Can they replace just a module? I'd rather not spend 10k on the car if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2. I believe that an educated consumer has a better chance in getting a satisfactory result. Your knowing which cells are suspect provides you with a talking point when discussing your problem with the dealer.
But I mean, aside from replacing the whole battery pack, is there anything the dealer can do that would be different if they knew where the damage or weak cell was? Everything I have found so far seems to indicate it's a full pack replacement regardless of where the fault in the battery is... so I think that even if I know which cell is causing the issue, I don't have any recourse but to buy a whole HV battery install from the dealer :( (Or from salvage and do it myself I guess)...

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
I don't have any recourse but to buy a whole HV battery install from the dealer :( (Or from salvage and do it myself I guess)...
Or, Greentec Auto.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts