GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it has been a month at the dealer service to get the heater fixed (many posts on this topic). They are giving up after reaching out to the GM experts where it will take 5 more hours just to further chase down the problem. Discussion is now on the car's worth (2013, 60k miles). The original estimate was a bit over $2k. This is a common problem unfortunately.

Anyone have advice on moving forward? What am I obligated to pay?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
So it has been a month at the dealer service to get the heater fixed ...
They are giving up after reaching out to the GM experts where it will take 5 more hours just to further chase down the problem.....
Say What?
A dealership just gets to say "We quit." "It's too hard to do."
And the 'GM experts' are okay with that?

Take it to another dealer that is not staffed with Quitters.
It's not Rocket Surgery.
The Cabin Heater system has a resistance heater in the coolant loop, a pump (for when the engine is not running) and a 3-way valve, or two...
How hard can it be to test those items?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The remote GM Engineers could monitor in real time the components and such but to no avail. They have proprietary procedures to pursue but they cannot even share this with me. The value of the Volt is only about $3k due to an incident on the title. Fortunately my next car is already ordered and will arrive around March. It is expected to have a very long life and be quite smart.

Anyone want used batteries delivered?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
The remote GM Engineers could monitor in real time the components and such but to no avail. ...
So Volts can break in a way that can't be fixed?
It's not that complicated....

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here goes the story:
A corner mechanic replaced the heater core and the 3 way valve and flushed. Didn't fix it. Donated $ for his effort.

Yes, I did replace the Coolant Heater Control Module (ordered new) due to the date stamp on the part. I also replaced the wheel well pump, checked the temperature sensors, and cleaned the in-line filter that was clogged with a leak stop compound (which fixed a leaky radiator saving me $2K). Tried pulling/resetting fuses.

Next stop was Chevrolet Service thinking it was a programming update/flash. Their shop had the car for over a month and did a flush, same pump replacement (due to pinched wire), and then found the 3-way valve pumping in the wrong direction (new to me). After consultation with engineers, it is concluded that they will need an additional 5 hours to diagnose further. They will not share what that is.

A help request had been opened with Chevrolet customer service. Fortunately they have been very helpful and just reached back for follow-up and talked of assistance after I send them the paperwork of work performed. This is good since the car is just out of warranty.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
851 Posts
cleaned the in-line filter that was clogged with a leak stop compound (which fixed a leaky radiator saving me $2K)
This has me concerned. Wonder what else is clogged... in a traditional car, I'd want to see clear water both ways out of the heater core connections before ruling it out, those little passages are notorious for plugging with stop leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts