GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Volt with completely dead 12 volt battery.
Won't start. Seems that the security system locked the ignition and won't let us unlock it.

Jump start gets the dash to light and every error signal to light up. At that point the key FOB is sensed when in the car. I can lock and unlock the doors. Push start and it seems to restart, but the fan won't run and car doesn't seem to actually turn on. Gas engine doesn't run.

Used the key in the little hole in the dash and pressed start. Same issue. Used the key in the door to lock and unlock. Same issue.
The lock on the dash remains lit. When I get out of the car, the dash stays lit and I can't shut the car off. But shutting the door, the car senses no FOB inside. Replaced FOB battery a month ago.

Car was plugged in when this happened. Had been driven about 48 hours before. Seems like the 12 volt battery has failed, but even with a jump from our second 2013 Volt (we have two) I can't get the car to start. It always has the little lock symbol on the dash and I've not been able to disable that.

When we stop the jump, the car stays on for 5 to 10 minutes (because I can't shut it off) and then it dies.
If we could get the lock symbol to turn off, maybe we could get the gas engine started. Tried two 120v chargers for the car and neither will work and the charge light remains yellow.

Suggestions about getting the lock symbol removed so I can jump the car and drive it?
(Otherwise I have to get it towed 45 minutes to the dealership to get the battery replaced).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Do you have a mulitmeter and can check the 12V voltage? And is it the original 12V for that car? If it failed in a bad way I suspect it could cause your issues.

FYI, replacing it isn't that bad, I'd certainly give it a try vs a 45 minute tow.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Suggestions about getting the lock symbol removed so I can jump the car and drive it?
(Otherwise I have to get it towed 45 minutes to the dealership to get the battery replaced).
Highly doubt your only issue is the AGM.

You indicated you were able to get the Volt turned ON via jump. Once turned ON, pull the negative lead(black) off of the AGM and the Volt should be able to remain ON if there are no other issues. If your Volt still behaves incorrectly while turned ON and negative lead of battery removed, you have bigger issues than just the AGM as you have removed this from the circuit...

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Unplug the Volt. Try disconnecting the negative terminal cable from the 12V battery and waiting ~10 minutes before reconnecting the battery cable.

While you are at it, check the voltage of your 12V battery, if less than 12V then it is failing/failed. With no load you should see 12.4V - 12.6V. Less than 11V and you have a dead cell in the 12V battery. If the 12V battery is more than 4 years old, replace the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dash is lit/on, the radio works, but the fan will not run, and the engine will not run. It stays lit for awhile when I remove the negative, as though I partially charged the battery, but still no operation and no way to keep charging since it won't run. And I can't turn it off. Pushing start each time seems to reboot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have a multimeter. Pretty sure the battery is dead. Jump from my second Chevy Volt partially charges the battery, but with the security lock on it just seems like starting the car isn't even an option. Even with a new battery, still need to find a way the remove the lock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I can try that after work tonight. Seems like the battery is dead, so I'm not sure how this would make a difference, but I can give it a shot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The engine may not start in the driveway under normal conditions (car parked, not needing charge). Opening the hood open causes the engine to start/run (service mode). Opening the hood for access to the jump-start terminals is required anyway - engine should start when the car starts. Jumping to the battery in back may not have the expected results. Once the car starts, the traction battery carries the electrical load.

At the very least, you'll be replacing the 12V AGM battery. Do that first before worrying about the other issues - they may be derivative issues from the failed 12V battery, and may clear on their own.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Check to see if the positive cable is tight. On mine, it tends to loosen up after a couple of months and could cause the car to do funny things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts