GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, according to the maintenance schedule for the volt 2013, the cooling system needs to be serviced every 150,000 miles or every 5 years. however, in the 2014 service manual, no mention is given to the years elapsed and only the milage is taken into consideration in determining whether then maintenance needs to be done. why is it that in the 2013 schedule the service needs to be done every 5 years, but not in the 2014 schedule? also, my 2013 volt is about 5 years and is at 37,000 miles, should I go ahead and follow the 2013 service schedule? links included below:

2013 service schedule:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...s/2013/chevrolet/volt/2013 Chevrolet Volt.pdf

2014 service schedule:
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/da...s/2014/chevrolet/volt/2014 Chevrolet Volt.pdf

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Although it probably doesn't need it just yet, it's necessary to get your warranty for the balance 3 years left on Voltec. You don't want to give them an excuse. The life of coolant is time related just like it's always been and not just a function of miles driven. If it has to be heated or cooled, that's even harder on it (temperature extremes). To be more accurate they could give say five scenarios of time/miles of when it should be changed but that's too complex for some users (and probably dealers) to handle. Not familiar with 2014 schedules.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I changed my 2013 coolant at the 5 year mark even though I had only 60,000 miles on the car. The heating system seemed to work better than it ever did after the change. I'm glad I had it done.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If it is not in the 2014 manual, then skipping it should not affect your warranty coverage [correction: this would only apply if you have a 2014, but I see you have the 2013]. Have you checked later model year manuals? That might help determine if it is an error in the 2014 manual, or a change in policy that is carried forward to later model years. Also, does anyone know if the specified coolant changed to a different type, or the formulation was improved at that time so that it does not "wear out" at 5 years?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oddly enough, the maintenance schedules for the 2014 and 2015 don't have the 5 year the cooling system flush requirement, but the 2011-2013 schedules do have it.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
bad part is the one that needs it the most is the hardest to do

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The other bad part is that this costs approximately $400, so all that money you saved not getting frequent oil changes disappears when you pay for this item. Seems kind of steep for what should have or could have been simple drain/fill procedures.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's two reasons why I didn't want to do the service: for starters, the $400 cost is not cheap and eliminates any savings incurred by owning an electric vehicle; secondly, the service sounds complicated and is only made worse by my lack of trust with the technicians at the local dealer. they couldn't even put the seat belt on straight in my last visit! :eek:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I hear ya! You only have to get it done once (to comply with the warranty). After that you can buy the $200 tool to do it yourself for only the cost of coolant. If you share this with other local Volt owners, it will be less. I'm always one willing to buy a tool that usually pays for itself first time used and everything after that is gravy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just had all three coolant systems flushed in my 2013 Volt. Total bill was $309 from Penske Chevrolet in Indianapolis.
that's a good deal. do you notice any difference in the car? is the ac cooler? not sure if we're supposed to notice a difference or not?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I can't tell any difference.
The only way that there would be a difference is if it was plugged up before. I don't think mine was.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had all three systems flushed for close to $700. Cheapest I could find after calling 6 different dealerships (some were even 100 miles away).

The only difference I noticed was in my bank account.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I hear ya! You only have to get it done once (to comply with the warranty). After that you can buy the $200 tool to do it yourself for only the cost of coolant. If you share this with other local Volt owners, it will be less. I'm always one willing to buy a tool that usually pays for itself first time used and everything after that is gravy.
If you're going that route, you don't need to have them do it even once.
Buy the tool, DIY. Keep your receipts and documentation when it was completed.
It's the same with oil changes. You don't have to have the dealer do it, DIY is valid for warranty purposes so long as you can prove when it was done, time/mileage/etc.
Nowadays with digital cameras everywhere you can even film yourself doing it as indisputable proof of when and how it was done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts