GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new posting to this forum but I've found it really useful in the past for small DIY repair jobs on my 2013 Volt. I'm totally stumped about what just happened to my Volt today and am looking for some help!

As I was pulling into a parking spot and shutting off the car, I got a warning on the console saying something like "Service Anti-Theft System". At first, I wasn't able to turn the car off or back on (it looked like it was somehow stuck while trying to boot?). I tried putting the key in the dash key-slot and did some other things before it seemed to fix itself and started up again.

I turned off the car and grabbed my OBD reader to see if there were any codes thrown. I saw:
P1E00 (my understanding is that this is a somewhat generic codes)
P0AA1, P0AE2 "Hybrid battery positive contactor circuit stuck closed" and "Hybrid battery precharge contactor circuit stuck closed"

So I'm thinking -- some relay is busted and the anti-theft system thing must have been some kind of electrical systems/computer brain fart. I get in to drive away and... it's chiming constantly. And it won't stop! It was so loud and annoying I was about to pull over and strip the plates and run for it. (Plus, I couldn't hear my turn signals which felt extra dangerous).

I'm familiar with the problem of ghosts setting off the passenger fasten seatbelt warning, so I removed everything from the passenger seat, buckled all the seat belts, etc. The chiming won't stop. I read it could be a 12V battery on the fritz, but I've replaced that in the last year or so.

So I guess my question is: how are these three things related? Is it safe to drive? It's currently plugged in and charging up, which I don't think it would be able to do if there was a serious short or something somewhere. Any insight or theories would be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Administrator
21,524 Posts
Well, sometimes the car could experience a computer brain fart. Disconnecting the Neg battery terminal for a few minutes and then reconnecting may reset the system.

Or, you actually do have a problem as identified and will need it diagnosed and verified by a dealer, However, if you do the battery disconnect you'll probably also wipe the error code(s), thereby preventing the dealer from using it to diagnose the issue (until/if it re-accures).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did what you said -- I disconnected the 12V battery and then reconnected it. The chiming is gone! I'm cautiously optimistic and will drive it around now to see if/when it comes back...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I did what you said -- I disconnected the 12V battery and then reconnected it. The chiming is gone! I'm cautiously optimistic and will drive it around now to see if/when it comes back...
That was my guess too. I know a lot (most) of us do multiple things while turning on and off with no ill effect but have been wondering for a while if it isn't better to take a few seconds while the computer are booting up or shutting off and let them do their thing before going to the next thing like ebrakes, garage door, opening charge door or what ever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts