GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

For the 2013 model year and beyond, I came up with a few suggestions for GM. Some of these are from other members -- thanks :)

1. Save and maintain the current settings the user has selected, such as having the radio stay off when adjusting the climate controls.

2. Add seating for five people.

3. Quality and reliability that is number one in the world. This will help maintain the Chevrolet Volt’s leadership status.

4. Add a blinking security light inside the car to indicate when the theft alarm is in the armed state. This would have an added security benefit, since the security light might help prevent break-ins.

5. Add a collision warning and avoidance system.

6. Add streaming Bluetooth audio capabilities.

7. Allow the user to select the sound when locking/unlocking the car to use a short beep sequence (not the car’s horn).

8. Add a heads-up display option (HUD) for showing the car’s current speed and one or two other indicators, such as the battery/fuel level, and critical alerts.

9. Provide the capability for sending an SMS or e-mail alert when the theft alarm has been activated.

10. Add a means to determine if the theft alarm has been activated when re-entering the car (by, for example a horn chirp/beep or a message on one of the car's displays).

11. Provide a more complete cargo cover. With the existing cargo cover, someone may still be able to see what is in the cargo area by looking through the lower, dark-tinted section of the rear glass.

12. Provide a faster, more direct means to be able to switch between the 6 sets of favorite radio settings pages. To get from page 2 of 6 of the favorites back to the first, you must sequentially go through pages 3, 4, 5, and 6 before getting back to page 1.

13. When the technology is ready and cost effective, offer 100+ miles of electric range and a more efficient gasoline engine: see
http://inhabitat.com/new-shock-wave...al-triple-fuel-efficiency-in-hybrid-vehicles/

14. Always continue to innovate!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Lower price and 5-passenger seating. That's all I really would ask for.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Move the driver side window pillar to the left to improve front vision.

Improve rear view mirror dimming to match other GM models.

Change the human factors of the power and drive mode buttons to prevent accidental power off. Solution could be a firmware update or button location change.

Have a larger fuel tank, add sound insulation and make windows thicker in the Cadillac ELR.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts

For the 2013 model year and beyond, I came up with a few suggestions for GM. Some of these are from other members -- thanks :)

4. Add a blinking security light inside the car to indicate when the theft alarm is in the armed state. This would have an added security benefit, since the security light might help prevent break-ins.

The big ole blinking charging light didn't deter a thief from breaking into my car last month.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That's more than a few.
You might as well tack atleast a grand on the msrp.
Not counting the reengineering of the entire car.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here's a real simple one.

When I turn off my Volt in my garage, the driver door buttons for the fuel tank and electric charging plug are back lit, so I can find them. The second I open my driver door they go dark and I can't see them any more. Since I normally open the door first and then open the charge door, I find myself stumbling to find it in my darker-than-usual garage. How about putting those back lights on a 5 second timer after the door is opened?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, please re-position the front column for better visibility on curves and at intersections. Add programmable driver's seat. Incorporate passive solar into the roof panel. I keep thinking of the simple solar trickle feeder I had on an old sailboat to keep the battery at optimum charge. Something similar integrated into the roof would be a nice supplement to the regenerative charging. Change the plug (on the car and on the charger) to metal. The plastic feels like tears waiting to flow.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
1. Upgrade the 120 Voltec charger cord to #14 wire with a better quality wall plug.

2. LED or HID headlamps please.

3. Replace all incandescent lighting with LED's please.

4. A radio OFF button that works please.

5. Replace touch controls with regular buttons & switches to reduce cost.

6. Replace electric parking brake to reduce cost.

·
Registered
71 Posts
1. May never get a movable sunroof, but add an optional panoramic glass roof (with sunshade). This would open up the feel of the car inside (I've test driven twice and it's a small car really (though leg/head room is decent for my 6 foot 4 frame), so a glass roof would help this.

2. Push to lower the price as much as possible.

3. I agree the seating can be increased. Flatten out the battery pack (like the Tesla Model S) and get at least a half seat in the back added.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'd like to see the rear hatch area closed off for better noise surpression. Block the space between the rear seats and add a hatch cover.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The Good and The bad of the Volt.

GOOD: You already know the good so I won’t bore you.

BAD, unsafe and needs change: Most of what I’m listing is mainly safety issues.
• The biggest safety issue is the horribly designed center console. You are taking your eyes of the road way to often just to change the temperature among other controls. The solution would to have full voice control of all systems. The existing voice command system for the infotainment system just plan sucks. A more natural language system would have to be created or purchased from another company. The Ciri system on the iPhone is more like what I’m talking about. The ability to change the temperature or fan speed. Any button on the Center console can be done with voice command
• The front window pillars are in a bad place. I don’t think this will change anytime soon.
• Head lights on turns.
• Big blind spot on the left side of the Volt. I ended up putting a small convex mirror on the left mirror. The least expensive method would be for GM to add a built in convex mirror on the far left of the mirror. I saw this on a Ford focus.
• The hand brake supposed to serves 2 functions. One as a parking brake and two as an emergency brake. Bring back the hand lever and get rid of the switch. In an emergency I don’t want to be fumbling for that switch.
• The drive mode button is badly placed also causing us to look down as half the time I and I bet more drivers accidently hit the Map button. It should be on the steering wheel or at the end of either the Turn signal or windshield wiper lever.

Changes
• Replace the center console with one like on the 2013 Malibu. I think the general public would accept this more than the existing console and it wouldn’t scare prospective buyers.
• I like the idea of a better trunk cover.
• More wheel selections.
• A selection of a different top color as when I park the car in the sun when it’s hot (I’m in California) I can feel the heat coming through the top. Same color as the car or white.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Many suggestions are to me nice to have improvements. There are really only three things wrong with the car.

1. The center console is too cluttered and difficult to use, especially at night. Redesign it.

2. There is way too much road noise coming from the back end of the car on freeways. People in the rear seats cannot hear what front seat people are saying. Increase noise isolation materials in the rear wheel wells.

3. Rear seat leg room is inadequate for everyone except small children. This is the biggie. Add at least 6 inches of legroom. Probably requires major structural changes.

·
Registered
92 Posts

13. When the technology is ready and cost effective, offer 100+ miles of electric range and a more efficient gasoline engine: see
http://inhabitat.com/new-shock-wave...al-triple-fuel-efficiency-in-hybrid-vehicles/

14. Always continue to innovate!

I'd like to see a real performance electric car, the Super-Sport Volt-SS. The SS model would dump the 1400 cc engine and have a small emergency generator (say 25-35 HP) and provide a 60+ mile battery range. At 35-45 miles the Volt is right where 50% of the people need to burn gas in a day. Get it to 60 miles and about 75% won't need gas, and those potential Nissan Leaf buyers who worry about battery range would flock to the Volt. The reduction in engine & generator weight allows about 10% more batteries to be added in series, giving higher motor voltage and more power, while keeping a net reduction in weight.

A less packed engine compartment could allow GM to make the front battery pack "T-shaped" like the rear, expanding into the new engine compartment space. Getting weight out of the middle of the car should also allow some weight reduction in steel supporting the batteries. With millions of customer miles on the batteries GM should be able to relax the battery charge/discharge limts (you currently can't use the top or bottom 20% of charge) so just 10% more batteries may give well over 60 miles of range. With more power and less weight the Volt-SS would be a real screamer (like the EV1 was).

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
The front left windshield pillar is a blind spot when making a left turn in an intersection. Other than that little bummer, I love every thing else about the car. It is Amazing!

·
Registered
186 Posts

11. Provide a more complete cargo cover. With the existing cargo cover, someone may still be able to see what is in the cargo area by looking through the lower, dark-tinted section of the rear glass.

Where did you get a cargo cover? I see the attachment points for one, but my dealer said there was no such thing!

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
First time you see it all folded up in the back of the car under the cargo lid -you think it is a small bag for the charger cable.

·
Registered
235 Posts
1. scrap the center stack console. put in more normal controls for hvac. add a normal radio (din or 2din). use normal switch gear instead of that touch garbage that don't work with winter gloves.
2. fix the rear vision problem. i have to do triple takes just for a basic lane change. dealers are calling the optional backup camera a necessity it's so bad. that much rear glass and you can't see dink.
3. make the rear seats fold down flat without ripping out the bottom cushions. some of us do buy the car for the hatch and the cargo hauling capability.
4. put in some sort of spot for a doughnut spare tire. some of us drive through gary indiana or compton california at 1am and don't want to wait 2 hours for a tow truck when a sidewall gets ripped.
5. rear window wiper and washer. the bottom feeder aveo has it, but not your halo car?
6. power seats with lots of adjustments. the front part of the lower cushion chafes the bottoms of my legs and the church pew seat back kills my lower back on long trips. the side supports along with the low roof make getting in and out as difficult as a mid 1980s corvette for short trips. i've never been in seats that couldn't excel at least in one area until i got this volt (including my 1985 corvette). green don't mean squat when a cars manual and unadjustable seats are this uncomfortable.
7. move the front cupholders to the doors and make a real arm rest/ storage cubby.
8. in my situation a little more battery range would be nice. say around 50 to 60 miles.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts