GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a used gen 1 in the last week. I drive all over for work and so I'm at a new location for my volt. I find a plug in (110 v), use my ridiculously heavy extension cord (its like 12 ga) and plug her in. I select max mode so that its done charging by the time I need to leave in the AM. I go check on it and there's an issue...

The charging indicator light will turn yellow like you just plugged it in, then green, then the car honks and then the light turns off. And then it turns yellow, to green, honks and turns off over and over in a loop. I'm not sure what it could be. I then tried to back it down to the lower amp setting and the charge light stays green continuously.

Some added info that might help, I tried to charge it on the previous shift using a lighter gauge extension cord that had a built in gang of receptacles. I went out to check it and everything was off. Turns out the sprinklers had turned on and soaked my extension cord and charger!!! I know its not water proof and I was terrified for a few minutes when it didn't turn back on, but after dumping the water out and realizing that the GFI outlet tripped, everything worked fine. I drove it home and it charged fine (on low mode because my garage only has 1 circuit with a deep freeze on it). So I ditched that extension cord and am using the heavier duty model now.

Thank you for your help!!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
So I just bought a used gen 1 in the last week. I drive all over for work and so I'm at a new location for my volt. I find a plug in (110 v), use my ridiculously heavy extension cord (its like 12 ga) and plug her in. I select max mode so that its done charging by the time I need to leave in the AM. I go check on it and there's an issue...
You'll probably going to have to used the 8Amp setting. You're not even supposed to use an extension cord at all, and 12 gauge isn't the beefiest out there. Is that your outlet that you know nothing else is on or is it one at work that you don't know isn't sharing a circuit with, say, and ice maker or the janitor's occasional floor scrubber?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I do know that there is a small fountain pump on that circuit. I don't know if there is anything else on it. I was just curious as to what might have been causing it. I can't find any record of this weird error online.

Edit: 12 gauge wiring is what they use in homes to run 20 amp circuits. Its not the biggest but should be adequate to handle 12 amps.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Sounds like the supply voltage is sagging when the car starts charging. How long is the extension cord?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It's probably worth getting an electrician to wire up a proper dedicated circuit to avoid the extension cord and allow you to charge at 12A. But by then you might as well jut get 240V L2 for the cost of another EVSE. Once you go L2, you'll never go back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At home, I'm going to install a 240 line and put in a L2. At work, its a different story. They don't mind as long as it doesn't become a "problem." If I start making requests or costing them noticeable $$$, my charging days at work will be through. Plus, I'm at a different location every other day, so I keep my L1 in the trunk with the cords and make the best out of my current situation.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Reread the original post. He is likely staying at a hotel or somewhere different each night or trip. The outlet he is using cannot supply a continuous 12a. It is likely to far from the breaker, to many outlets, or the extension cord is to long. A lot of possible problems here. But nothing wrong with the car or EVSE.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
circuit ground tester is a good idea for STRANGE outlets and something like a kill-o-watt meter on the car end of the cable for a quick check of the Voltage.

Just needs to be a one time test if this is you normal charge spot.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
A 12ga extension cord is not 'beefy' if it is long. 25' plus the 25' EVSE is quite a distance. A voltage drop would cause the observed behavior. Measure the voltage under load as suggested above.

Always protect the EVSE and ext cord connections from water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts