GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Volt with about 105,000miles on it that I have owned for a year and a half. I bought it before realizing that newer Volts have three seats in the back (2016 and newer I believe). I have three kids, and would really like to be able to drive with them all in the back rather than taking my wife's Corolla when we all go somewhere together. Is it possible to take out the rear seats with the center console thing, and replace them with the three seat bench from a newer (probably wrecked) Volt? Should I even try looking around at Junkyards for a seat to do this? I don't know if the interior dimensions changed in any other way between first and second generation Volts. Otherwise I love my Volt and am planning to buy another used one in the future.
Thanks for your help.
RobCow

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
No.

Reactions: saltsman

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Aside from legal aspects since the Gen 1 was designed and certified for a maximum capacity of 4 persons I'm pretty sure that the mounting points for the seats, and hardware were changed to accommodate the 5th passenger in the Gen 2. It's a great idea but unfeasible and would be easier to just trade the Gen 1 for a Gen 2 if the need for a 5th seat is that great.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
The Gen1 and Gen2 Volt share almost no parts. The Gen2 Volt has the center rear seat with the required seatbelt/shoulder belt anchor points. Even if you somehow managed to fit the Gen2 back seat into a Gen1 Volt the seat belt anchoring would be compromised.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Besides even if you DID get it in there, have you ever tried to sit in the centre seat in the rear of a Volt? It's for REALLY tiny people only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts