GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Volt needs a front wheel bearing. As part of that procedure, the service manual says the brake caliper mounting bolts (the bolts that hold the caliper bracket to the knuckle) are torque to yield and must be replaced. But, none of the GM drawings I've seen list the p/n for these bolts. Would anyone know the number?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Reactions: omandave

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
An interesting point. I looked into caliper bracket bolts. I was going to take off the brackets to properly paint them. I had the parts numbers (fronts are different than the backs). I went to local parts supplier and they said there were non available in Canada but they could bring in the rears (didn't go to GM). I thought that's strange but then the fronts don't have to come off to replace pads
but the rears do when the rear discs rust up due to non use in salty environments and they have to be replaced. Tightening them 15 degrees past were the torque spec was, made me nervous (I torqued off a bolt on Dodge Caravan suspension once when the book gave me wrong torque) so I wimped out and left them on. Has any one torqued to stretch with these kinds of bolts that GM likes to use? I know there are special stretch torque wrenches for that (seen them on TV auto show). How do you do it with regular torque wrench?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Did search many online GM suppliers looking for the OEM parts. Found a few exploded views showing the bolts, just none of them linking to the GM part number.

There are many threads here on the forums that have the wheel bearing hub bolt part number, just not the other TTY bolt needed for this job, the caliper bracket mounting bolts.

Nice try Steverino but not the right bolts nor are the OEM. I'm looking for the OEM part number.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to find out the old fashioned way. Called a few friendly dealers around the country.
Just in case anyone else has to pull the front brake caliper mounting bracket and replace the bolts on their Gen 1:

Knuckle Lower Bolt - GM (11562022)

They don't show in the brake drawing but you can find them in the knuckle drawing.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Nice try Steverino but not the right bolts nor are the OEM. I'm looking for the OEM part number.
Didn't look at the links before but these are the caliper mounting (slide) bolts. What the OP was looking for was the caliper "bracket" bolts (I think). Don't know for sure where I initialling got the front and rear mounting bolt numbers from, possibly Rock Auto. Ironically GM parts diagrams don't seem to show many of the "bolts". I'm not sure if the "knuckle" bolts are these ones or something else

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
Had to find out the old fashioned way. Called a few friendly dealers around the country.
Just in case anyone else has to pull the front brake caliper mounting bracket and replace the bolts on their Gen 1:

Knuckle Lower Bolt - GM (11562022)

They don't show in the brake drawing but you can find them in the knuckle drawing.
Thanks for the clarification and details!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I am just now going through this gigantic pain. We are selling our 2015 Volt to my mother in law and wanted to send her off with new tires and pads/rotors all around. I used @Volt4You's part number and tried to order through CarID (which said they had 8 in stock) but they sent 3 back order emails in a row, so I just cancelled the order. Dealer wanted $24 PER BOLT! Called around and a local mom & pop parts store told me the Carlson part number H830 would work. I called Carlson directly to see if that bolt would take the 74 ft. lbs. of torque (plus 15 degrees, right?) and they didn't know. The bolt does look noticeably larger than the rear bolts that I replaced when I did the rears, but the drastic price difference ($6 for a pair vs. $24 per at the dealer) has me thinking that it's too good to be true. Anybody tried these Carlson bolts and had any luck? I guess if they are that cheap, doesn't hurt to try.

The other side of this question is; if the OEM bolts are TTY, do the replacements have to be? I see that the part number 11562022 shows the bolt to be an M14x2x42, as long as it's the same size/thread/pitch, should any bolt work? I plan to put thread locker on these as well, just wanted to get some input from those in the know.

I hate these single use bolts, what a terrible design.

·
Registered
76 Posts
do the replacements have to be?
I personally don't think so, but I'm not driving your car and I'm not a paid mechanic.

TTY bolts are usually used where standard torqueing would give varying results, like head or crank bolts (generally due to some lubrication in the threads). They also let the manufacturers use slightly smaller fasteners and quicken the assembly process, which saves them money.

I have replaced all my TTY bolts not in the engine or trans as needed in all my cars, just giving them a real good snugging and some Loctite.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,574 Posts
I see that the part number 11562022 shows the bolt to be an M14x2x42, as long as it's the same size/thread/pitch, should any bolt work?
No, the grade of the bolt defines the tensile strength, and these are grade 10.9. I believe that is the second highest grade commercially available. The only way you know where you are on the stress strain curve is to follow the guidance of the auto manufacturer using the proper bolts.

Note that you can save about 50% by buying online from Rock Auto or GMPartsDirect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts