GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I was just driving my 2013 volt today, and I was driving and went 1.1kwh and my first bar dropped which is as expected, but then very shortly after I dropped my next bar before I even hit 1.5kwh... here is a picture after my drive today.

Rage estimate is also low. Yeah yeah, it's a guess-o-meter and yata yata but it's been saying 20 miles since winter started and it's spring now. HVAC was off during this drive and was only on at the very start. What am I doing wrong? Is something wrong? I believe this car is on its 100% original ev battery, with no segments replaced that I know of. And I'm just barely outside of my voltec warranty. Is this cause for concern? I'll continue to monitor it's behavior next time I drive and post an update... I am really hoping I'm not down 1kwh

·
Registered
367 Posts
From what I see, you drove 9.5 miles using 2.4kwh, I believe the 2013 has about 10kwh usable so your numbers would equate to roughly 38EV miles. Is that unreasonable?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I see, you drove 9.5 miles using 2.4kwh, I believe the 2013 has about 10kwh usable so your numbers would equate to roughly 38EV miles. Is that unreasonable?
But... I have used 3 bars of my battery icon, I had used 2 bars before I even hit 1.5kwh. an efficiency of 4mpkwh is good but I'm not going to get that range if I don't have all 10kwh which is my concern.

·
Registered
367 Posts
My current only suggestion is fully charge the battery. Drive it until it switches to gas and see kwh usage and actual miles driven. Obviously the kwh usage is key, as miles have so many variables it could be anywhere.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
My current only suggestion is fully charge the battery. Drive it until it switches to gas and see kwh usage and actual miles driven. Obviously the kwh usage is key, as miles have so many variables it could be anywhere.
This. And do it three days in a row, ideally on nice slow roads. Got a nice six-lane that drives about 45 MPH out to or in from Outer Suburbia? Use that road. While the lifetime MPG indicates that driver isn't afraid of driving a bunch, that the GOM has gone screwy might be a new experience. The Volt re-establishes its baseline "how far is empty, where to the bars go?" knowledge every time the battery is run low enough to switch to gas. If that doesn't happen for a while, the guesses about range (and bars of battery, but people USUALLY kvetch about the estimated miles of range first) get increasingly pessimistic until the car runs out the battery again. The more-than-once helps clear out any pessimism previous average mileage data, and the slower drive sets consumption per mile much more advantageous. You're gaming the GOM, but we're basically trying to show that There's Not A Problem, so it's fine and it'll quickly settle back into a more reasonable estimate based on actual driving again.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Your numbers pretty much match the numbers I am getting on my 2011 with 167,000 on the odometer. One thing as others have noted in various threads, the recall, reprogram for the frequent propulsion reduced scenario they take away a bit of battery capacity at the bottom. So after that reprogramming all early Volts lose a few miles EV range. For best range and gas mileage blow your tires up to 40. Drive light footed.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Trying to make calculations or diagnosis on battery bars is a fools game as it doesn't show partial battery bars. You are trying to make fine calculations from info on a coarse display. As mentioned the only meaningful info you can get from the display is total battery used on a full to empty (ICE coming on) trip. Repeats help with that too.

Reactions: uchual

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Drive from today, 9.6 seems a little low. Going to charge fully and will update next time I run it down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts