GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Let me see if I have this right,

KHenry's cabin evaporator leaked. GM wouldn't fix it. He complains here after he fixed it doing a DIY job. Had KHenry been better informed and insistent, I believe this would have been covered and he would be happy and not upset.

WhatAShocker wears out the brake pads on his EV. All he can think to do is complain about the price of the pads, even though there is a fundamental problem he is having, that no one else seems to be having.

glsonn, a former GM service rep tells KHenry to get over it. He would be right, if he wasn't wrong. This isn't a 3 year / 36k mile issue. This is a Voltec warranty issue which is 8 years / 100k miles.

·
Registered
74 Posts

KHenry's cabin evaporator leaked. GM wouldn't fix it. He complains here after he fixed it doing a DIY job. Had KHenry been better informed and insistent, I believe this would have been covered and he would be happy and not upset.

WhatAShocker wears out the brake pads on his EV. All he can think to do is complain about the price of the pads, even though there is a fundamental problem he is having, that no one else seems to be having.

glsonn, a former GM service rep tells KHenry to get over it. He would be right, if he wasn't wrong. This isn't a 3 year / 36k mile issue. This is a Voltec warranty issue which is 8 years / 100k miles.
Are you very sure about that? Bjorn is an extreme Tesla fan... And yet...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
glsonn - And you looked at the 134a diagram loop in this thread? and acknowledge the battery chiller and cab evap share the same loop?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Are you very sure about that? Bjorn is an extreme Tesla fan... And yet...

This was a cracked brake pad. What does it have to do with worn brake pads as you described having?

·
Registered
74 Posts
This was a cracked brake pad. What does it have to do with worn brake pads as you described having?
Good point, I agree, I should have been more clear. My bad! Yes, my LR M3 had this issue. My pads wore and cracked prematurely. It didnt entirely fracture, but they were split and one side and disintegrating on the other.
I get it, stuff happens, no car is perfect and I bought a first gen car very very early on, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's a bit disappointing that it wasn't covered. Ah well, back to the OP's topic. Don't want to make this about me or a me vs him. That was not my point. Just that, buying a Tesla is not the answer to save money. They are great cars, but perfect, hardly. Like the Volt or any other car.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I get it, stuff happens, no car is perfect and I bought a first gen car very very early on, but it doesn't alter the fact that it's a bit disappointing that it wasn't covered. Ah well, back to the OP's topic. Don't want to make this about me or a me vs him. That was not my point. Just that, buying a Tesla is not the answer to save money. They are great cars, but perfect, hardly. Like the Volt or any other car.
I did own one GM vehicle that I purchased new, and the brakes and rotors had to be replaced at 25k miles while the vehicle was under warranty. Having the pads wear out at 25k surprised me as I expected more mileage from them. The problem I had with the whole thing was that the wear indicators never engaged. I inspected the wear indicators after everything was replaced and they had rust on their indicator edges showing clearly they never engaged. So this was some sort of manufacturing defect which I complained about to GM. My thinking was, I am on the hook for the pads, but they need to cover the rotors because if I had been warned by the wear indicators I would have taken care of it and the rotors would not have been damaged. GM warranty policy was, they don't cover brakes period.

Now with this issue in this thread I would not have accepted no as the answer. I promise you things would not have gone well for GM if it had been me.

I really like my Volt. It is a super great car. Don't get the wrong idea from this reply. I am not anti GM by any means.

·
Registered
528 Posts
After 48 years of owning GM cars, this is the first time you have had to fix one?

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt
49 Posts
I love my 3 GM vehicles...

BTW, that's an 8.1 liter 2500 Suburban, a real workhorse.

Reactions: Off Oil

·
Registered
66 Posts
After 48 years of owning GM cars, this is the first time you have had to fix one?
I was thinking along the lines of 48 years and the Volt is the one that makes you want to quit GM?

The Volt is the only thing that made me not quit GM. They made a lot of absolute garbage in the 80's all the way through early 2000's. The Volt is a damn piece of brilliance compared to half their cars.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Completely informed. Was a VolTec warranty repair when these started failing initially, but at some point, despite their own guideance to NOT run vehicle at or above 88 degrees outside with a non working A/C System (confirmed with dealer Voltec mechanic), GM decided it does not fall under the Voltec warranty and as such would not do anything going forward to help their customers with these faulty evaporators. That is the sad situation in my case. You can twist it how you like, doesn't change the fact that GM chose (post deciding to cancel the Volt program) to disregard and essentially write off those customers. That is pathetic.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts