GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Someone look at this diagram and tell me how a leak in the cabin evaporator doesn't impact the battery chiller.

·
Administrator
20,097 Posts
My 2011 Volt has almost 100k miles on it. So far, my expenses for parts replacement is under $500. Oh, and some new tires. Sure that could change, but as my first GM car, I'm pretty impressed and happy. I think dealers can also make a big difference. I bad dealer makes a bad car experience.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Purchased 2013 Volt and at just 46,000 miles the evaporator corroded and leaked due to tape used in manufacturing process. Despite rendering car undrivable without A/C in Florida heat, GM would not honor Voltech warranty or even offer to help fix the problem. Much less I tried to help sending pics detailing the problem, since this same evaporator was used in many other cars. But they never even responded. Shameful and unacceptable on a very expensive investment from a life long customer whose Dad retired from GM. My Dad tried to get help and still they didnt honor the warrany or even help for that matter. Here is the evaporator pics:
Limited Lifetime Warranty
General Motors Company offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty on specific service parts sold by GM Dealers. GM warrants to the purchaser that it will replace these specific Genuine GM/ACDelco Parts for all manufacturer defects, including 24 months of labor (see list below):

Chassis Parts
Fuel Pumps – Electronic
Ignition Wire Sets
Radiators
Shock Absorbers/Struts
Wheel Bearings – Hub Bearings

In other words. Manufacturing defect, warranted for 24 months in US. Get better public protection laws as this would be covered under manufacturing defect laws in most EU countries (most likely part only/minimal due to 7 years tho)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Khenry, are you there?

The real question here is, is this covered under the Voltec warranty?
This diagram is the answer to that question.
There is only one refrigerant coolant loop for the 134a in the vehicle.
If there is a leak anywhere in that loop, you lose battery chiller cooling, which is critical to running the battery pack in warm weather. If it were me, I would insist on Voltec coverage for this issue.

·
Registered
206 Posts
What did you use all the diagnostic took for. Send like straight up mechanical issue.
Good for you finding it and fixing. I've been lucky with my 2012, 120k miles. Routine maintenance only

·
Registered
59 Posts
Although I understand your frustration, that last sentence had me ROFL. You stated that you couldn't afford what you were told was a $3000 repair and you are going to buy a Tesla? A wrecked one I assume that has had the HV battery removed?

At least you were able to get the parts for the Volt. If you had an issue with the out of warranty Tesla good luck finding a part.
I agree, apparently he has absolutely no bloody clue how expensive owning a Tesla can be. I have a Volt and a Model 3 and there is NO question, the Volt is by far the more reliable, cheaper to own car by miles. Tesla builds amazing batteries, and great efficient motors, but the quality of assembly of everything else around those two things leaves a lot to be desired. Try $867 for replacing front pads after only 1.5 years of ownership, in an EV is madness. Brake pads, not rotors, brake pads. Meanwhile my 3.5 year old Volt is on original pads and my mom's 2012 Leaf is still 80% pad life after 8 years. So yeah, I laughed too. Folks need to know that they are talking about before complaining. Try this very unhappy Model Y owner... I get it. Mistakes happen, but how this passed pre-inspection defies understanding.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
KHenry, I was wondering why you didn't post about this on the forum when it came up as an issue? Major kudos for the DIY repair, but why didn't you seek advice from the community up front before going to all the effort of doing the repair yourself? The reason is, I have seen cases posted here in the forum where GM did cover for Voltec warranties after some phone calls and arguing the point with GM and I think this would have been one of them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Brake pads? I only recently did mine because... well I really don't know why, They were old but not worn out. I get bored with the Volt

·
Registered
974 Posts
WhatAShocker - Try $867 for replacing front pads after only 1.5 years of ownership,

Just looked on Rock Auto and found daily driver brake pads for a 2018 Model 3, at $20 for a set of front brake pads.

·
Registered
59 Posts
WhatAShocker - Try $867 for replacing front pads after only 1.5 years of ownership,

Just looked on Rock Auto and found daily driver brake pads for a 2018 Model 3, at $20 for a set of front brake pads.
My quotation was at the dealer. I don't want to give Tesla ANY excuse to void my 10 year warranty with substandard aftermarket pads. I would never trust my 4,982 lbs Model 3 on $20 pads... No way.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree, apparently he has absolutely no bloody clue how expensive owning a Tesla can be. I have a Volt and a Model 3 and there is NO question, the Volt is by far the more reliable, cheaper to own car by miles. Tesla builds amazing batteries, and great efficient motors, but the quality of assembly of everything else around those two things leaves a lot to be desired. Try $867 for replacing front pads after only 1.5 years of ownership, in an EV is madness. Brake pads, not rotors, brake pads. Meanwhile my 3.5 year old Volt is on original pads and my mom's 2012 Leaf is still 80% pad life after 8 years.
That's because for the foot actuated brake pedal, Tesla doesn't link that to regenerative braking. It only uses friction braking which is why you'd get a lot of brake pad wear if you've got regen level set to low (almost coasting) and use your brakes a lot. But yeah $800+ to replace just front pads is super expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, but they are not integral to the electrical operations. Cost was $1,995, plus another $1,000 in other fluids, sensors, etc. Could not afford that expense so after 6 months of planning, tool aquisition, and studying (all while driving my 2002 Pontiac Montana) I did the job myself. In all it cost me $190 in parts and fluids, another $150 for VCX NANO by VXDIAG and software, and at end (and unexpected bullshit deal) another $495 for the dealer to reset my steering column position with the compuer which I was unable to do with the VCX Nano. Now, at 58,000 miles, the passenger in seat airbag weight sensor is going out. NTSB is investigating this one so I plan to wait for their outcome, fix it and sell it. A/C works great now though. So before buying a GM car now you should plan for probably another $20k in sevice on top of what you paid for a vehicle all before 60,000 miles. Should have purchased a Tesla.
Agreed on the Tesla! Service is amazing and the cars are warranted bumper to bumper for 100k miles. And the cost is a fabulous model 3 is no more than what I paid for my 2014 Volt!

Next car for me will be a Tesla. My son has one and they are AMAZING!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Purchased 2013 Volt and at just 46,000 miles the evaporator corroded and leaked due to tape used in manufacturing process. Despite rendering car undrivable without A/C in Florida heat, GM would not honor Voltech warranty or even offer to help fix the problem. Much less I tried to help sending pics detailing the problem, since this same evaporator was used in many other cars. But they never even responded. Shameful and unacceptable on a very expensive investment from a life long customer whose Dad retired from GM. My Dad tried to get help and still they didnt honor the warrany or even help for that matter. Here is the evaporator pics:
View attachment 170779 View attachment 170780 View attachment 170781
I am a former GM service rep who had to make these decisions on a regular basis. My question was always: how long is The warranty on the A/C? 3 years, 36,000 miles. So when does the warranty end? AT 3 YEARS OR 36,000 MILES! Geeez, this car is 7 years old and well over 36,000 miles. Also, operating vehicles in high salt air environments is deadly for aluminum components. Florida is ALL high salt air. Man, get over it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my 2012 back for exactly the same issue. $1822 bucks. It really ticked me off, but I paid it anyway to get my Volt back usable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ham radio buddies of mine in Florida report horrendous problems with aluminum antennas. The problem is even worse if you are within 10 miles of the coastline. They report the antennas turn white with oxide in only a few years if they are not sealed. Anodizing also helps although to a lesser degree.

Considering the cost of GM service it really makes sense to still do as much auto service as one can. YouTube helps take the guesswork out of attacking various repairs. The caveat is whether someone experiences the problem and posts the repair process before you are unfortunate enough to be faced with it.

For those who did not grow up as shade tree mechanics...$$$$.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a former GM service rep who had to make these decisions on a regular basis. My question was always: how long is The warranty on the A/C? 3 years, 36,000 miles. So when does the warranty end? AT 3 YEARS OR 36,000 MILES! Geeez, this car is 7 years old and well over 36,000 miles. Also, operating vehicles in high salt air environments is deadly for aluminum components. Florida is ALL high salt air. Man, get over it.
That's what it looks like, I've lived near the Texas gulf coast and the saltwater air gets to everything. that car may also have possibly been driven at or near the beach. Its tough to clean that area though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Based in Florida is a red flag when considering the purchase of an aircraft.
And if you think Tesla is a magic answer: Here's a Model 3 after a couple of winters.
View attachment 170788

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Bonehead GM loses 48 year customer over a few hundred dollar repair. Pathetic. I own two volts but my next car will b Tesla
Well it certainly won't be another Volt as they don't make them any more.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts