GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how accurate is this?

I purchased a 2012 because there's a lot of opinions in these forums that this is the most reliable year of the Gen 1. 2013 and on had some more features (except for Hard Drive - other small things) and higher capacity battery but build quality was lower.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Volt/

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It looks like those statistics are based on a total of 36 complaints across all model years of the Volt. That does not seem like a large enough sample to have any meaning.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Probably the 2011 and 2012 were the most quality checked cars in the history of GM. Possibly all US cars ever built.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
It looks like those statistics are based on a total of 36 complaints across all model years of the Volt. That does not seem like a large enough sample to have any meaning.
I agree. You can ask two people a question and extrapolate their two answers to what you think 50,000 people would say, but the sample number is simply too small to make it meaningful.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Only 19 complaints listed for the for the five-year-old 2012 "worst of the Volt models" Volt. "Worst" is relative.

For example, the source lists 152 complaints for the 2012 Cruze, 286 for the 2011 Cruze, only 6 for the "worst" Leafs, the 2011 and 2013 models.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It used to be risky to get an early production new model, but if Volt is any indication, getting it right from the start is critical to sales and resales of a car brand. Because of lease expiration timing I needed to order an early October, 2016 Volt. I received notice that a VIN had been assigned (that is a factory confirmation that your car has been built) but a week later I was told that a batch of cars, including mine, had their VIN's cancelled, with no explanation given, other than the obvious conclusion that a serious problem was detected. Later, a VIN was assigned (same number? I don't know) and I took delivery within a couple of weeks. This car, other than a software update, has been flawless. I think the new GM is trying hard to overcome a very bad reputation. It may take an entire generation, but it appears to be working. So go ahead and buy that early production model.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I wonder how accurate is this?

I purchased a 2012 because there's a lot of opinions in these forums that this is the most reliable year of the Gen 1. 2013 and on had some more features (except for Hard Drive - other small things) and higher capacity battery but build quality was lower.

http://m.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Volt/
Did you really make a car purchase decision based on what anonymous strangers wrote on an internet site? Didn't you mom tell you never to trust anyone on the internet? no, well she would have if she had known then what we know today... I don't trust internet reports for ANTHING- people are having too much fun tweaking the crowd- there is no truth or honesty or clarity...

oh wait I am one of those anonymous strangers right here....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It also includes NHTSA complaints in a grayed graph, which looks like a bigger sample. I still agree with some of the comments that it's too small of a sample.

Wonder if there's a way to mine data from forums like this to create a graphical representation like the one shown on this link.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
TrueDelta has the 2013 MY being better than the 2012 MY and the 2014 MY being worse. But the differences are small. I think overall there won't be too many differences in the first generation model years. Of importance is that all the model years are better to much better than average.

·
Registered
706 Posts
It is like trying to pick the worst Victoria's Secret Model. Small sample size, but one model has to be the worst, right?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
It is like trying to pick the worst Victoria's Secret Model. Small sample size, but one model has to be the worst, right?
I'll take one for the team and happily try them all to check which Victoria's Secret model is the worst.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I don't place much stock in many of these so called "quality surveys" and can only tell someone that my 2012 Volt was one of the best built and driving vehicle I have owned in close to 50 years. We also own a 2013 Volt and in side by side comparison's I have always felt the 2012 felt better than our 2013. Hard to quantify but the way the seats felt, the more solid "thunk" of a door closing the 2012 just felt better, and we love our 2013.

Take these surveys with a grain of salt.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't place much stock in many of these so called "quality surveys"
You might want to look at TrueDelta. It doesn't do surveys as much as reports. Once you sign up, you're asked (bugged, harrassed?) to report every quarter or so whether you've taken the car in for a repair and, if so, what the repair entailed. Reporting consistently eliminates the problem of forgetting what happened during the last year and it's reasonably objective.

Having done a JD Powers survey, it's very complete and reasonably timely. I just wonder about equating whether a personal opinion about where a button is to having the engine blow up (extreme example but you get the point). It penalizes companies who are moving forward with the tech.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
1 - 15 of 15 Posts