GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 worked fine last night and is dead today. FOB doesn't work, no dashboard indicators (black screens), won't start, can't get it out of park, etc... I tried repeatedly to jump start it with an electronic jump kit to no avail. I then removed the 12V battery and had it tested. It's fine. Any suggestions for DIY before I succumb an have it towed to a dealer?

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Could still be the 12V. "Tested fine" sounds like an opinion that may apply to other cars and not the Volt. How old is the battery? If original, it's definitely time to replace it anyway. New AGM will be in the $175-$200 tange (last I looked). Easy to replace yourself, need a 10MM socket and about 15 minutes or so. Dealer diagnosis could pay for a new battery. And if it is the battery, you'll now soon with the new one installed. If it's not, you needed a new 12V anyway.

Reactions: CanyoneroEV

·
Registered
2013 Chevrolet Volt Premium
55 Posts
Just a heads up a 12v battery can test within spec but still be problematic. It is worth having a good dealership test it out. Not all dealers are competent with this vehicle sadly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for suggestions. Fuses were fine.
When I re-installed the same battery (~4 yrs old btw), the alarm / horn went off, FOB was working, all systems go. Car has been perfectly fine for 2 days now. I hate not having a root cause, but it seems as if the Volt was having a Microsoft Windows moment and just needed a power-on reset. :cool:

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Thanks for suggestions. Fuses were fine.
When I re-installed the same battery (~4 yrs old btw), the alarm / horn went off, FOB was working, all systems go. Car has been perfectly fine for 2 days now. I hate not having a root cause, but it seems as if the Volt was having a Microsoft Windows moment and just needed a power-on reset. :cool:
Sounds like it was a lose battery connection on either the Pos or Neg terminal. It can happen. It would simulate a VERY dead battery condition, haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it was a lose battery connection on either the Pos or Neg terminal. It can happen. It would simulate a VERY dead battery condition, haha.
Maybe, but I don't think so. The connections were tight, and no corrosion. I also measured 12+ volts on the terminals under the hood. Anyway, fingers crossed it stays fixed. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1 Posts
My daughter experienced brake failure which i believe to be the regenerative braking not working then she couldn’t shut down the car. I have since checked it out it’s dead . I tried jumping it and it powered on but no engine start. Any opinions on whether it’s the something else or possibly battery related the battery is less than 2 years old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts