GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
But this time it's is different, it comes included with a P0AA6 and a P0531 (and of course the obligatory P1E00). No Onstar account to call, but I could have probably gotten the 3 year deal from them if I tried.

I checked the coolant, looks OK being about 5/8 to 3/4 of a inch above the split line in the tank casting. :( UH OH not good says I. I did see this before with a low coolant warning. A few ounces of coolant and clearing the codes work for that issue, not so this time.

I was up in the mountains Thursday when the check engine light came on while in Mountain mode and a DIC "Service high voltage charging system". Temps were high, around 105F even in the mountains, we had been running in Mountain mode all day. Car seemed to run fine so I continued my trip. We stayed overnight in Cottonwood just outside Sedona. Got up in the morning and the car fired up just fine and I switch back to Mountain mode and we were off again for another day.

Friday coming back into town I kicked it back to Normal mode for the last 15 miles to burn off the excess battery before getting home with 0 miles range left. Plugged in the L2 and no charge as expected. I then needed to get a prescription at the local pharmacy about 2 miles from the house. Hit the start button and got what seemed like a longer than normal start, and the engine kicked on a few seconds later. I drove about a 1/4 mile and then got a reduced propulsion message and a couple of half hearted somewhat jerky starts (while trying to cross traffic). I then pulled over and kicked it back into Mountain mode for a few minutes to get some miles back in the battery and that added some charge back in, that at least made it drivable and surprisingly the engine charge did take. During all this I noticed the AC had stopped cooling as well (which was nasty because the outside temps were about 114F), the fan blower worked but the air was literally hot coming out of the vents. Pulled into O'Riley auto parts and got the codes scanned, and written down.

Called Sands Chevrolet, they have done most of the work on the car. They have 4 certified Volt technicians, but that team I am told doesn't work on Mondays or Saturdays. WTF a team of 4 and 33% of the open days they have no Volt techs working? Ear bending with the General Manager is in order at the dealer for that one, but I still won't hit another dealer because of previous bad experiences. Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

SO an appt for 7 AM Tues was set up at Sands Chevrolet and we shall see what comes of the encounter. Because it is a High Voltage event it should be covered under the 8 year 100,000 mile warranty. I did read elsewhere here that reprogramming of some older HPCM and BCM cured similar problems, hoping it is as trivial as that.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
DTC P0531: Air Conditioning (A/C) Refrigerant Pressure Sensor Circuit code seems to be the odd one not seemingly related to the Hybrid/EV Battery like the DTC P0AA6: Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage System Isolation Lost code...

·
Registered
524 Posts
The coolant you checked was the battery coolant? The other two coolants are OK?
With a battery and ac code I would have a good look at the lower front of the car for accident damage. Both systems have radiators there.

Probably not related but you have had the 12v battery replaced?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Interesting, just last week my 2011 Volt turned on the "Check Engine" light, after 5.5 years of no issues. Ambient temperatures started rising about the same time. The car seems to be operating just fine, although I haven't been off CD mode. Stopped by the local O'Reilly's and they read the following DTCs:

P0AA6 - Hybrid battery voltage system isolation fault
P1F0E - Battery charging voltage system isolation fault
U1833 - Lost communication with BSCM on Bus E

Checked the OE 12v battery and noted 12.3 volts - seems normal. Got a quote from them of $180+taxes just to have the info.

Called Sands Chevrolet of Surprise on Friday and have an appointment for Monday. They only have one Volt tech and he works Monday thru Friday. I guess we will see what is next.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The coolant you checked was the battery coolant? The other two coolants are OK?
With a battery and ac code I would have a good look at the lower front of the car for accident damage. Both systems have radiators there.

Probably not related but you have had the 12v battery replaced?
Coolants all looked OK, no issues with radiator damage.

Well this has never had a new 12V battery and I suppose that could be the issue. And yes it is time to looks around for both of them.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Coolants all looked OK, no issues with radiator damage.

Well this has never had a new 12V battery and I suppose that could be the issue. And yes it is time to looks around for both of them.
I got my 12v batteries at Advance Auto. It looks like it's made by the same manufacturer as the OEM battery.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small world!?:confused:

You 2 guys sharing the same DTC codes on ur Gen1s and also live in hot-as-hell AZ!:eek:

I am beginning to suspect there is either a bad connection some place or the HPCM and BCM refresh changes some parameter that allows more tolerance on the settings.

Well 2 hardly makes a trend, but AZ is hard on the mechanicals on cars, but you have to love the body life on vehicles down here. Cars here truly wear out before they rot out. It is pretty easy to get an old car with a shot engine or trans, fix the issues and get it back on the road for a long time.

My granddaughter hits 16 this summer, her other Grandpa claims he is going to buy her a car and insure it. I suspect that will fall through and her transportation needs will fall squarely in my lap. Most likely I would do the above scenario for her first crash mobile and her mother will have to pick up the insurance.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My jury is in and reprogramming of the HPCM and BCM did the trick. I was quoted a PI number over the phone, but I'm sorry I didn't catch the number. Sorry about that - best of luck to Solar Dave.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got the Volt serviced yesterday for the DICs. Yes it was just a simple flash of the HPCM to correct the issue. $69 ($58.88 + taxes and disposal fee) for the second oil change in its life and we were on our way! Not bad for a almost 5 year old car.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
But this time it's is different, it comes included with a P0AA6 and a P0531 (and of course the obligatory P1E00). No Onstar account to call, but I could have probably gotten the 3 year deal from them if I tried.

*snip*
I have the 3 year onstar deal on my 2012, no diagnostics included.

I experienced P0531 this week, Sensor fault. Dealer replaced AC refrigerant pressure sensor #13502759

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?247289-Gen-1-2012-CEL-at-66K-miles

1 - 13 of 13 Posts