GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt (Red), 2012 Volt (Silver)
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2012 Volt. Using MGV, the battery looks balanced when fully charged.

Took it for a second drive today to see how the cells behaved. If I were to guess, seems like an entire battery section is out of balance. Perhaps it's new and the others 2 are older? Haven't seen this discussed before.

Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Parallel

In mountain mode, when it switched to ICE the balance is better:

Rectangle Font Grass Parallel Software

Maybe a BECM and HPCM2 reflash would help?

What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thinking. Don't they do rebalancing after an install? On my other post, my gdb2 scan shows a line about "Section Replacement...Not Successful"
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Related, perhaps?

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,033 Posts
That was my thinking. Don't they do rebalancing after an install? On my other post, my gdb2 scan shows a line about "Section Replacement...Not Successful"

Related, perhaps?
It would be harmonious to think so, wouldn't it? There's a couple of different ways that this could fail, and the most obvious one is that the section was replaced with the wrong year module. 2012 uses (I think) a version 1.4 battery and I'm sure someone else will cheerfully chime in with what year used which battery and the differences between them if we wait patiently for day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would be harmonious to think so, wouldn't it? There's a couple of different ways that this could fail, and the most obvious one is that the section was replaced with the wrong year module. 2012 uses (I think) a version 1.4 battery and I'm sure someone else will cheerfully chime in with what year used which battery and the differences between them if we wait patiently for day.
I've seen that somewhere here. Makes sense, although I'm not sure who'd be brave enough to try this without knowing what they are doing. Car runs very well, but scanning the cells makes me a little nervous, but I bought it to learn stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
360 Posts
out of curiosity... how long had the can been stationary when the first screenshot was taken? Did MGV have a few minutes to scan through all of the cells a couple times?

the reason I ask is that the large step up in voltage occurs at cell 66. I would have expected that to occur at a cell that is an even divisor of 96 (96 cells in the battery) as I assume there are 3 packs each containing 32 cells (I could be wrong...)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
out of curiosity... how long had the can been stationary when the first screenshot was taken? Did MGV have a few minutes to scan through all of the cells a couple times?

the reason I ask is that the large step up in voltage occurs at cell 66. I would have expected that to occur at a cell that is an even divisor of 96 (96 cells in the battery) as I assume there are 3 packs each containing 32 cells (I could be wrong...)
It's been pointed out to me that the vehicle should be stationary and not under load for a good reading (although when I do this with my 2013, I am able to get a good reading and it shows excellent balance provided I'm not suddenly coasting or smashing the gas). For this measurement I let it read continuously for 5-10 minutes and attempted to keep the power draw pretty constant for each measurement. What I was trying to express in my initial post was that it was almost 100% of the time that cells 66-96 were 100+mV higher that the others. I agree, that it would make sense that the 3 sections would be equivalent sizes (32 cells per section), but later investigations seem to indicate that this is not the case (see Weber University videos). Have yet to run another test as the weather has not been cooperative, but will do so eventually (I hope). A local car deal is SUPER interested in buying this (aka I am getting 4-5 emails per day about bringing it in for them to deal). Drew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts