GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by dealer that the battery had three sections and the voltec 8yr/100k does not cover the 2 out of 3 sections that are bad. Service said it would cost $24000 to fix. I was like Wow. Please help me understand. Im the original owner and its a 2012 Diamond white fully loaded model with 48000 miles. I just need a better understanding. If someone could help me with the main battery being three separate sections and excluding the warranty PART?

·
Administrator
20,219 Posts
Run from that dealer. Total BS, and a new battery core is around $3500. For the ENTIRE battery. Yes, the battery has three packs. Those three packs plus the accompanying controls, shell, etc. = "the battery". There are not separate warranties for each section.

What are they saying are the "3 parts"? 1. Battery, 2. Wheels, 3. Car Body, and #3 is what they are replacing?

P.S, You can buy a great used 2012 Volt for half their quoted $24,000.

We know you don't have 8 years, but how many miles?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I would run away from that dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
477 Posts
If the battery is bad , would be nice the engine will take you home...I think in Gen 2, the engine will work when the main battery is gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
48112 miles. They told me to call 1-800-462-8782 The agent called me today and said she never heard of the voltec warranty and needed the look into it further. i thought i was upset with ross downing chevrolet service. Wow I am trying to stay patient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way. Thank Yall for the positive reply's. I feel like I'm in a different dimension with the service departments knowledge or lack of it.
I just have to stay patient. Tomorrow will be better after my online chevy agent gets more information about chevy volts warranty.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
48112 miles. They told me to call 1-800-462-8782 The agent called me today and said she never heard of the voltec warranty and needed the look into it further. i thought i was upset with ross downing chevrolet service. Wow I am trying to stay patient.
(800) 222-1020 is the correct number for Chevrolet. The other one is for GMC; call that one if you need help with a Denali.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Don't be bullied by a lousy dealer. The 8yr/100k Voltec warranty covers any part of the main battery. The one question you need to ask is that if the dealer is so clueless about the technology in the car, do you really want them working on it?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Relax. Assuming you have a problem with the battery the warranty will cover it. The dealer never heard of the Voltec warranty? Seriously?

·
Registered
430 Posts
There is a telephone number for the Volt (and possibly Bolt): (877) 486-5846

You can also try: [email protected]

I agree though, with a 5 year old car having driven less than 50,000 miles, the battery should absolutely be covered by the warranty. Please consider finding a different dealer, and definitely let Chevrolet know about the situation. There appears to be some training that needs to happen at that dealer.

Some people purchase extended warranties on their cars too, so if you did, you may be able to use that to your advantage for other issues that might come up.

Can you charge your car fully, Schex? What range are you getting in EV only mode? It looks like something could be wrong with the engine / ignition / spark plugs. If you start the car while parked and open the hood, does the engine start? It should normally do that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I Had extended the bumper to bumper 2 more years and it went out 5/17. This dealership had worked on it and used that warranty to cover the cost. I just feel they saw that the main warranty had completed and the quit looking. It was fully charged with 32 miles when it drained down and would not switch over to gas. just coasted to a stop. I was waiting on the agent from 1-800-462-8782 to get more informed as she put it. if not, I will call the other numbers that were mentioned. I would like to stay calm and professional. I made a mistake by using my usaa towing insurance instead of the volt towing service. It would of helped the service dept get clued in that there was another warranty if GM payed for the tow to there facility.
The 1st gen requires voltage to run thru the T battery to operate the engine. If one cell fails it shuts the car down. the service technition said one unit failed and one was real weak. i would guess the corrected that with the hold on the 2013 and on. But it is the best vehicle I have ever driven for reliability. this was strange and very unexpected. I will be patient. The dealer will get tired of seeing it sit. HaHa

·
Registered
430 Posts
Even if your car is completely out of warranty, I expect one or two battery cells would be inexpensive to replace. For your charging setup, are you using any kind of surge protector (e.g. a whole house surge protector)?

I like your attitude about the whole situation. Please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Please, just find a different dealer/service center. Of course this is completely covered by the voltec warranty. A good dealer will completely take care of this for free, and provide a loaner for free while doing it. I just had some major work done on my 2012 that involved pulling the battery out 3 times until they finally found the right fix. Completely free, and I drove around in an impala (for free) for the 2 weeks it took. BTW this was Walker Chevrolet in Franklin Tennessee - highly recommended!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I called the chevy volt line earlier in the thread. It sends me through the to chevrolet customer care. The agent took my service number and had my assigned agent call me back. 3 minutes later, phone rings and the agent tells me I was right about the warranty being explicit in coverage and exclusive to the electrical system in the volt . She was going to spend the better part of her day getting it straight with the dealer. So everything is back to normal for now. I am on hold waiting on the service center to verify what I was told. to see if they fix or replace the Battery or do some band aid work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts