GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Volt (purchased new) has a charging issue. Charging stops after a short time, before the battery is fully charged. By reinserting the 120v charge cord, charging restarts, only to stop again after a short time. Dealer replaced charging socket, but did not correct the issue. Anyone have this problem?

·
Administrator
20,220 Posts
Could be a bad EVSE or a bad relay in the battery.

Try a public charge station or another 120v EVSE to eliminate your EVSE as the culprit.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Does the EVSE have any error lights illuminated? If this only happens when you charge at home it could be that over time your 5-15 receptacle has loosened or the wires to the receptacle have become loose. I would turn off the power, open the receptacle box and check that the wire connections are tight. Changing the 5-15 receptacle with a commercial/hospital grade receptacle would be an inexpensive next step. Have you been allowing the 5-15 plug and receptacle to support the hanging weight of the EVSE electronics unit? If so, you may have damaged the wiring in the molded plug. You might be able to repair the power cord by cutting off the molded plug and attached a new three prong power plug to the end of the power cord. Never let the EVSE hang from the power cord.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 120v charger is mounted to the wall on the 2 screw mounts. My charging unit has been eliminated as the source of the problem. The car is back at the dealer now for about a week. They have not located the cause for the problem and are working with GM engineering, I am told. I should have mentioned that the check engine light was on for a couple of months prior toi this issue. I ignored the light since the care operated normally on both battery and gasoline engine.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The 120v charger is mounted to the wall on the 2 screw mounts. My charging unit has been eliminated as the source of the problem. The car is back at the dealer now for about a week. They have not located the cause for the problem and are working with GM engineering, I am told. I should have mentioned that the check engine light was on for a couple of months prior toi this issue. I ignored the light since the care operated normally on both battery and gasoline engine.
Never ignore the light. It's always telling you something important, even if it may be a transient issue, or a complete misreading. But you still need to know what it's saying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts