GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Problem:
2012 Chevy volt will not accept level 2 charge (haven’t tried 110v yet)

Scenario:
Car was outside being charged during heavy rain storm. Check engine light is on. Runs fin on gas with slightly diminished performance

History:
I have owned this car for about 3 years and driven it every day to work and back (80 miles round trip). I bought it used with 27000 miles and today it has 107000+ miles and I really love this car. I have driven it everywhere and It usually gets a full charge twice /day; Once at home and once at work. It has performed flawlessly except for a few minor annoyances plus on two previous occasions it would not charge after being connected to the charger during heavy rain.
On the first occurrence I scheduled it for maintenance at the dealer but due to backlog there was a 14 day waiting period. After waiting 10 days the problem cleared itself so I canceled the appointment.
On the second occurrence (again during the summer) I elected to wait 10 days to see if it would “dry out” by itself, and it did. Being an engineer I decided to make a charge port cover using bungie cords and fabric for use in rainy conditions and this has worked well over the past 2 years.
About 15 days ago it got left on the charger without the cover and of course heavy rain ensued during the night. Result – not charging again. I am guessing that the “dry out” period will be significantly longer due to the cold weather and the thing that concerns me now is that the outside temp are below freezing and so moisture trapped in the system may freeze and cause further damage.

Question:
1) Is this a known problem with the 2012 Volt?
2) Is there a known fix?
3) Will the car continue to run on gas without ever charging the battery? I mean it runs good on gas albeit the
performance is sometimes diminished slightly.
4) Does anyone want to but a 2012 volt that won’t charge

Thank you

Jenifer
Engineer at Michelin Americas Research Co

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it's the charger, mine sometimes doesn't charge "even if it has all green lights". Mine has start doing this after a car wash but a day before I drop the charger to the ground and somehow something inside was not ok, but it took me a while to figure out that is not the car, but the charger because some times it charge some times don't. I had orange light at dash and all green on charger. Eventualy I tested in service and change it with a new one (black one, not Orange like first). Even if it's a veavy rain, it shouldn't get inside the port, only if the charger plug is cracked.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Question:
1) Is this a known problem with the 2012 Volt?
2) Is there a known fix?
3) Will the car continue to run on gas without ever charging the battery? I mean it runs good on gas albeit the
performance is sometimes diminished slightly.
4) Does anyone want to but a 2012 volt that won’t charge

Thank you

Jenifer
Engineer at Michelin Americas Research Co
1) It's a known problem with first generation Volts. I had it too.
2) Replace the charge port. Mine was replaced free. Maybe yours will be too.
3) Yes.
4) No.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
There was ALSO a software programming update service note for that and I do not think it was the charge port.

The update was done about the same times as the turn the volt OFF after 90 min ? if left on in park.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
in addition to the good thoughts of others, I offer that sometimes by charge cord is affected by being out in the heavy rain, this is not its' fault, but more likely because I chopped the cord part in half with my snowblower and then opened up, but never fully resealed the body of the cord control. so I bring this in the house and dry it out and my problem goes away. as others said, this is more likely your charge port, try that first.
Paul

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Jenifer, my money is on a cracked charging port. The port develops cracks, water seeps in causing short circuits between terminals. After a while, the water evaporates and the problem seems to go away. Until it rains again. With your mileage, replacing the port will most likely not be covered by warranty, however, it's a relatively easy job and shouldn't cost too much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to all,

I will head to the dealer today to have them look at it. I was hoping to avoid this bc everything is out of pocket now and I am about to retire so I won't have a lot of money to throw around. Honestly I am a procrastinator and should have had it looked at the first time but ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts