GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home yesterday when shortly after the ICE switched on, the reduced propulsion message appeared with the malfunction indicator lamp. I turned off the AC, reduced speed to 45 mph, arrived home in 10 minutes and turned the car off. I plugged the 240V charger to the car, but the yellow light never switched to green so I disconnected the charger. I started the car (apparently in Service Only Mode) and received P0AFA (and P1E00) from Onstar diagnostics. Turned the car off and left it on charger overnight. Nothing’s changed today. It will not power up to drive.

It’s been such a great car that my plan was to drive it as long as possible. But I’d hoped it was farther than 100500 miles. Unfortunately the dealer who sold me the car, no longer services Volts, so I’ll have to tow it 30 miles or more. Any suggestions/thoughts before I do?

I’m also interested in hearing from others in southeast Louisiana about their service experiences specially if you had a similar problem and/or replaced the HV battery.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That one is not pretty, it's a low voltage on a battery cell. At least 1.0 hours for the diagnostic, then it might get expensive, or it could be just a bad connection someplace but I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I was driving home yesterday when shortly after the ICE switched on, the reduced propulsion message appeared with the malfunction indicator lamp. I turned off the AC, reduced speed to 45 mph, arrived home in 10 minutes and turned the car off. I plugged the 240V charger to the car, but the yellow light never switched to green so I disconnected the charger. I started the car (apparently in Service Only Mode) and received P0AFA (and P1E00) from Onstar diagnostics. Turned the car off and left it on charger overnight. Nothing’s changed today. It will not power up to drive.

It’s been such a great car that my plan was to drive it as long as possible. But I’d hoped it was farther than 100500 miles. Unfortunately the dealer who sold me the car, no longer services Volts, so I’ll have to tow it 30 miles or more. Any suggestions/thoughts before I do?

I’m also interested in hearing from others in southeast Louisiana about their service experiences specially if you had a similar problem and/or replaced the HV battery.
I’ve had good service experiences here in Baton Rouge. All Star Chevrolet has an excellent Voltec trained tech, Jason, and Gerry Lane has a good one as well. When I had a reduced range problem with my 2015 in May, All Star didn’t have any appointments available for several weeks, so I took it to Gerry Lane. The problem came back, and I had to take it back a week later to program it again, and it’s been fine ever since. It only cost me $118 for the diagnostic fee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve had good service experiences here in Baton Rouge. All Star Chevrolet has an excellent Voltec trained tech, Jason, and Gerry Lane has a good one as well. When I had a reduced range problem with my 2015 in May, All Star didn’t have any appointments available for several weeks, so I took it to Gerry Lane. The problem came back, and I had to take it back a week later to program it again, and it’s been fine ever since. It only cost me $118 for the diagnostic fee.
It appears All Star no longer services the Volt, so I'll see how good Gerry Lane's service is. I would have preferred taking it closer to home in Covington, but they couldn't look at it for weeks. I hope I don't regret not waiting.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hope all is ok there in LA

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thank you, we were lucky. I had the Volt with inverter standing by, but other than a few blinks, our power never went out. We lost a few shingles but that’s it. You would not believe the lines at the few gas stations with power! These people were warned last week to fill up but did nothing. Meanwhile I have a fully charged Volt with 3/4 of a tank!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some are ok, but so very many others are not. I'm facing months, if not a couple years, recovering from the damage done to my home by my neighbor's tree. But hey, it could have been worse. My Volt could have been flooded had it not been towed to Baton Rouge 3 days before Ida landed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I just had a different issue with my 2014 Volt. After the car was driven in the morning, when I stepped into the car and started it, it showed "initializing.. please wait to shift" for a long time and when it finally did move to the next screen, there was no propulsion.

I had it towed to the dealer and they pulled the codes P1EE0, P0AF8 & P0606 after charging me $160 for diagnostic.
They cleared the Secured High Voltage DTCs and sent me on my way. When asked, the service manager said that possibly my EVSE is to be blamed.

I'm just 5000km shy of 160,000km (95,000 miles) and I'm starting to get worried about losing Voltec warranty. Please keep us posted how you do with your car, hopefully it is something minor. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts