GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With an electric vehicle being so quiet it frustrating and annoying to have so much road noise with this vehicle, I sincerely hope GM does something about it in the future. I know additions add weight and cost but for the price I would like to add a couple of options as I am not as concerned about getting every last drop of efficiency from the vehicle. I would gladly pay for a better stereo and a quieter cabin and be happy with a few less KM of range. This vehicle already compares favorably performance wise with my 2003 Monte Carlo which is 400 lbs lighter, I would gladly add 50 more for some better sound proofing. Does anyone have suggestions on quieter tires, or mods to quiet the cabin, again, I am willing to lose some range. I do love the savings in fuel, I spend about 1/4 the price for electricity a I was doing with gas.

·
Registered
488 Posts
It's doubtful the car has original spec tires still on it. That would be Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max with the GM spec TPC 1406. And those tires were considered noisy. I am now running Michelin Primacy MXV 4's on my 2011. These are much quieter. Many here have raved about Continental Pure Contact, someone may suggest the exact spec for that.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Check your tires? Could they be the original tires that came on the car? If so they are over 4 years old, maybe closer to 5 years old.

That could easily explain the road noise.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
EVs in the future will need active noise control like ELR already has. ELR is church quiet compared to my previous Volt.

That's one issue with no trunk. The road noise is transmitted into the cabin.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
With an electric vehicle being so quiet it frustrating and annoying to have so much road noise with this vehicle, I sincerely hope GM does something about it in the future. I know additions add weight and cost but for the price I would like to add a couple of options as I am not as concerned about getting every last drop of efficiency from the vehicle. I would gladly pay for a better stereo and a quieter cabin and be happy with a few less KM of range. This vehicle already compares favorably performance wise with my 2003 Monte Carlo which is 400 lbs lighter, I would gladly add 50 more for some better sound proofing. Does anyone have suggestions on quieter tires, or mods to quiet the cabin, again, I am willing to lose some range. I do love the savings in fuel, I spend about 1/4 the price for electricity a I was doing with gas.
I've put over 20K on my 2012 since purchasing in November 2015. These are mostly highway miles and I have not noticed a road noise issue. The car is very quiet and compares to my previous vehicles for sure.

If this is an issue for YOU, look into sound deadening materials like Dynamat. This mounts between the body and the carpet and door panels to help make the vehicle quieter.

IMO this is not an issue for GM to fix, but the individual owner.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
New tires help. Lowering pressure in tires to recommended instead of overpressure helps. Throwing a couple of old blankets on the cargo floor in back helps more than one would expect too.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Where were you when Gen 2 was introduced? GM HAS done something about road noise. The future has been here for a year. Check it out.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've added Lloyd's Luxe floor mats and trunk liner to my Volt, as well as the VoltShelf and the rear seat barrier from GM. This combination cuts down on road noise.

I haven't used it on my Volt (quiet enough now) but I had excellent success with a product called Damplifier, which is similar to Dynamat, on a previous company car. I lined the doors and lift gate on one of the original Scion xB's and the difference was night and day on road noise.

·
Registered
135 Posts
As much as I like my 2013 Volt, It's not particularly quiet, especially on highways. I hope most of it is because of the tires, which I keep at 38.5 PSI meticulously.

My other car is a 2011 Nissan Murano, a mid sized v6 SUV. It is much quieter on highways.

Those with gen1 that have replaced the OEM tires with new tires, did the car get significantly quieter with the new tires? I think mine still has about a year of life left, so won't know until then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ours is insanely quiet...but we came from a Prius Persona...Go drive one of those on the highway...you literally almost had to yell to carry on a conversation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Today I drove a Gen 2 Volt for several hours. I loved everything about the car except that I couldn't stand the noise level. At thirty minutes I was ready to buy one. At four hours my ears were ringing and I had a headache. Now, sadly, I have eliminated the Volt as a selection for my next car. Had it been really quiet, even at several thousand dollars more, it would have been my only choice. I'm really bummed about this. So you may think this is not an issue for GM to fix, but it has cost them a sale. How many other people have given up on the Volt when they found out how noisy it was?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts