GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 with around 50,000 miles on it about 3 days ago. The temp was at times around 102 today. The car brought itself to a halt as soon as I tried to merge on to the interstate today. I had a check engine light, Stabilitrak warning and reduced propulsion power. I got it over to the side of the road and turned the car off and let it sit for a few minutes. When I turned it back on the gas engine would come on and the car would move about ten feet and that was it. I had it towed to the chevy dealer in Rochester MN. Once it got there the car seemed fine no more errors. I'm guessing something got to hot. Anyone have anything similar happen? These car seem to be pretty reliable i'm just hoping I didn't get a bad one.

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
There are a number of thread links below. Based on them, it could be a bad battery control module, or some faulty wiring, or...

What error codes did OnStar give you when you pressed the blue button?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Heat per se should not result in a propulsion error. The AC is there to cool the battery. So your range might decrease but the battery shouldn't overheat nor should the propulsion system fail. IOW heat might trigger the failure but shouldn't cause the failure. Note the codes are archived so the idea that there are "no more errors" isn't technically correct.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In any event I believe the Voltec powertrain warranty will cover the repair.

Please report back dealers findings/repairs/costs.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Welcome to GM-VOLT.COM
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
The combination of warnings you received could be the result of any one of numerous potential failures
But there would have been numerous DTCs set when this failure took place.
If you can get them from the dealer or your copy of the repair order, they would be helpful is assisting you
This could easily be something relatively simple to rectify
Regards
WopOnTour

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly I didn't even think about hitting the OnStar button. I just called the dealer and they told me to have it towed to Clemmets in Rochester and they would take care of it there. I'll make sure I get the codes they pull from it and report back along with any other info. I just thought it was bizarre that it would barely move at one point but by the time the truck dropped it off no more errors on the display.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the codes back from the Chevy dealer they were p2101 & p2176. It says they tested the throttle body operation it seemed fine. Unable to demonstrate condition. Starts and runs ok now. So now I guess I just wait and see. Not really what I was hoping for.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My daughter was driving our 2012 Volt (about 80,000kms or 50,000 miles on it) home on the highway on the gas generator, got the propulsion power reduced message, car slowed down, so much so that she had to pull it off to the side of the highway. Car would not move at all. Turned it off and then attempted to turn back on, but the car would not respond. Car is now being towed to our Chevy Dealership. I have heard others speak of this in the past, will report back on what is found.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The codes that appeared for this Propulsion Power Reduced (PPR) where a P0101 and P16E0 , a mass airflow sensor (MAF) was replaced to solve the problem. Will be keeping an eye on this. Wanted to add this information to the general knowledge here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts