GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Volt with 145,000 mi has developed an issue with plug in charging. Using either the 110 or 220 chargers I have, the vehicle will either not charge at all or will charge for awhile and then stop. The volt will send the same message as if the charger had lost electricity and the charge was interrupted.

I pulled the DTC's and only get the P0650 code. Any ideas?

It is to the point that plug in charging is failing 95% of the time. It doesn't matter the charger or where it is plugged in either at work or home or using either one of my chargers.

The volt charges fine in Mountain Mode or regen.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
My 2012 Volt with 145,000 mi has developed an issue with plug in charging. Using either the 110 or 220 chargers I have, the vehicle will either not charge at all or will charge for awhile and then stop. The volt will send the same message as if the charger had lost electricity and the charge was interrupted.

I pulled the DTC's and only get the P0650 code. Any ideas?

It is to the point that plug in charging is failing 95% of the time. It doesn't matter the charger or where it is plugged in either at work or home or using either one of my chargers.

The volt charges fine in Mountain Mode or regen.
Maybe the Volt's charging port has developed a crack in the plastic insulator of one of the AC connector pins, ground pin or signaling pin. As the Volt charges the charging port heats up slightly causing a bad ground or a loss of power and or charging signal between the Volt and the EVSE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx! It did seem to start during rain about week ago.
is that a part that is a DIY replacement?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Thx! It did seem to start during rain about week ago.
is that a part that is a DIY replacement?
I have no experience, perhaps someone here has performed this replacement. I believe that part of the charging port and wiring is covered under the Voltec warranty, other parts of the wiring are not covered. If it is not covered under the Voltec warranty and it is just the charging port and charging port wire harness it is not an expensive replacement.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
make sure you test at a second location the 120 volt EVSE and a pay or dealer EVSE unit at a different location but odds are jcanoe post is correct as others have had that problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scottf200,

Did you replace the port yourself or see it replaced? I do not have a reliable dealer in my area and need to do the work myself. I have all the diagnostic and reprogramming tools to deal with the modules etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
scottf200,
Did you replace the port yourself or see it replaced? I do not have a reliable dealer in my area and need to do the work myself. I have all the diagnostic and reprogramming tools to deal with the modules etc.
It was done at my dealers while I was at home. I'm fortunate to have a competent dealer reasonably close and it was under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts