GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife called me while on her drive home today to let me know the dash "reset". The trip odometers reset on the instrument panel, but the trip or "this charge" screen on the center screen did not. Also the odometer is blank now. Turning the car off and back on did not fix the odometer. Any ideas? The only recent change is that I installed the WOT defeat plug the other week. Oh and it got freakin cold seemingly overnight.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
My wife called me while on her drive home today to let me know the dash "reset". The trip odometers reset on the instrument panel, but the trip or "this charge" screen on the center screen did not. Also the odometer is blank now. Turning the car off and back on did not fix the odometer. Any ideas? The only recent change is that I installed the WOT defeat plug the other week. Oh and it got freakin cold seemingly overnight.
How old is the 12V AGM battery? It could be showing signs of failing more so now with the colder temperature.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the 12V AGM battery? It could be showing signs of failing more so now with the colder temperature.
12V battery was also my first thought. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few more days, so I can't run out and test anything right now. I was just hoping maybe someone had seen this, and if not to document it. I'll update here at the end of the month, unless she takes it to get fixed before I get home.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
If it's original battery, time to replace as it's getting near "best by" date. If not try disconnecting negative cable clamp for a minute for a reset.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
12V battery was also my first thought. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few more days, so I can't run out and test anything right now. I was just hoping maybe someone had seen this, and if not to document it. I'll update here at the end of the month, unless she takes it to get fixed before I get home.
On the forum we've see quite a few Volt owners who were stranded due to failed 12V batteries. If the 12V on your 2012 Volt is the original battery have it changed now.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I think it takes a lot more that loss of 12 volt to reset that reading.

Just ask Ferris Bueller :)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
It's a 2012. How long have you owned it? If since new, did you replace the 12v yet? Because if that's the original, you don't need to test it, it's due, and "testing" would probably give an unreliable "It's fine" result anyway. (We have hypotheses about how to properly test a 12v for a Volt, but they're just that. And they're COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from how every other battery tester tests batteries.)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I think it takes a lot more that loss of 12 volt to reset that reading.

Just ask Ferris Bueller :)
It's not so much that the data is lost as something someplace in the car didn't respond fast enough to catch the reading, or a computer process crashed due to other unstable startup reasons.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The mileage is red at every start up from another ecu: bcm
The mileage is also stored in the dash but gets overwritten if the bcm sends other mileage via the canbus

Maybe the dash red some invalid mileage.
Or maybe your have a dash ecu problem

Or just a low 12v battery :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My sister's 2012 Volt needed a new 12V battery but my 2012 Volt's 12V battery is still reading 13.3V. I've kept it on a tender regularly so it may last a bit longer still.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
A power port digital volt meter would help in many cases.

Switching to metric after the car has started is a good idea to try

I have to do that to get a better lifetime MPG number as mine pegwd out after a few months of driving.

( someone in engineering fogot it was an electric car ?? )

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally home and got a chance to check on the Volt.

Switching to KM does not fix it, it just displays "-------- km"

I pulled my Bluetooth OBD reader: Nope.

I disconnected the 12V battery for a while, then reconnected: Nope.

I disconnected the 12V battery and I pulled the HV disconnect in the center console: Nope.

12V battery voltage tested good.

ODO still shows "--------".

Any other ideas? Is there a volt tech on the forum? Since the car is still functioning perfectly well in every other aspect I would like to fix this myself and learn something along the way. Will a VCXnano tell me more?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had replaced the battery in my 2012 Volt a few weeks ago after it was dead in the driveway. I did not have a problem with my odometer resetting on the Volt, BUT about 10 years ago I did have the odometer reset like yours did on my 2002 Tahoe. The battery did die on that as well, but when we jumped it, the odometer was all zeros. The dealer traced the problem down to a defective instrument panel cluster that basically shorted out, used a higher current than normal, but not enough to blow the fuse and killed the battery. Come to think of it, my 1992 GMC Jimmy was similar but had green smoke from the instrument cluster coming out from under the dash when it was 8 or 9 months old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. That's freakin awesome. I just bought a VCX nano. What software do I need to get this done? Looking at acdelco's website I see the vehicle programming software (1 Vehicle), GDS2 (3 days $57). I'll need both of these to do the reading and programming, correct? This seems absurd to pay $97 every time I need to work on the car. Is there non-subscription based software available to do this? Aftermarket software?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Closure / Solution

SPS: Flashed Instrument Panel. Note: When prompted to plug the flash drive into the instrument cluster, the USB port is in the back of the instrument cluster and you'll need "EL-50334-14 Infotainment Test Cable" to connect your USB flash drive to the instrument panel. This is a mini-USB type-B to a female USB type-A. I made my own cable from a USB extension cable (female end) and a gopro charge cord (mini-B). Run all SPS events (1-4, I think?) for instrument panel.

SPS: Program Body Control Module. Follow on screen prompts.

Commercial Cable for sale: SaiTech IT Mini USB OTG Cable for Digital Cameras - USB A Female to Mini USB B 5 Pin Male Adapter Cable

Related Thread:
Bricked my Instrument Cluster, Could Use Some Help

1 - 20 of 23 Posts