GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Developed a coolant leak over the Christmas season. Only a drop or two on electric days, 2-3 inch puddle on ICE days.
No volt technicians working until after New Year at 3 local dealers didn’t help
Diagnosis is a leaking gasket where coolant pipe connects to transmission.
Non-drivable.
Part #22781269.
No stock at dealer, no stock at Canadian warehouses, no response from North American dealer stock query.
No joy as yet from Volt ambassador’s efforts.
Now day 7 with no word on replacement.

Have others faced part availablity issues?
Similar coolant leak issues?
Is there a secret stash of Volt parts in Area 51?

Dan Olson
2012 Volt since May2017
17,000 of 90,000 total km

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just curious - do you need a coolant pipe or just the gasket? It doesn't sound like something that would need Voltec expertise, unless the refill is a special procedure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why didn't Chevy use the trans to heat the cabin? I've noticed the trans is warm even on cold days, I'd love to do a by pass and use that heat!

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Can you unbolt the pipe and put some gasket maker around it to stop the leak?

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Developed a coolant leak over the Christmas season. Only a drop or two on electric days, 2-3 inch puddle on ICE days.
Non-drivable.
Part #22781269.
No stock at dealer, no stock at Canadian warehouses, no response from North American dealer stock query.
Did you ask about stock or did you ask them to order? Your post isn't clear. What is clear is that from the description is that part number is an oil tube and if you're getting coolant out of it, something is either very confusing or very odd. And that it's a special order part that will probably have to come from GM and you will not find it asking around if it's in stock, and you will definitely have to say "No, order one for me."

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Did you ask about stock or did you ask them to order? Your post isn't clear. What is clear is that from the description is that part number is an oil tube and if you're getting coolant out of it, something is either very confusing or very odd. And that it's a special order part that will probably have to come from GM and you will not find it asking around if it's in stock, and you will definitely have to say "No, order one for me."
The part is on national backorder.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Non-drivable.
Part #22781269.

Dan Olson
2012 Volt since May2017
Thanks for sharing your story... I am more than a little concerned about parts availability for the Gen 1 cars. Is this covered under the Voltec/battery warranty?

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story... I am more than a little concerned about parts availability for the Gen 1 cars. Is this covered under the Voltec/battery warranty?
ANY car that sells in low volumes (that includes Volts and many, many, many non-EV cars) will have a smaller inventory of parts and longer lead times for some parts. If you want in-stock on almost every part, buy a Silverado or F-150.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
If there's nothing wrong with the pipe itself, you can use a new seal at the trans end #25874797 or #19210848 at the cooler end. If the pipe itself is bad, you can take it to one of those places that fabricate lines and have a new hose put on it.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I recently noticed my coolant reservoir was empty. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I haven't seen a leak anywhere, but I'm hoping I don't have the same part availability issue.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Non-drivable.
Part #22781269.

Dan Olson
2012 Volt since May2017
Parts availability? Been waiting a week for 1/2 battery (think it's the rear "T" section) for my 2012 with 38,xxxk on it

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
I recently noticed my coolant reservoir was empty. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. I haven't seen a leak anywhere, but I'm hoping I don't have the same part availability issue.
When was the last time you checked it and what was its level then?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
When was the last time you checked it and what was its level then?
The last time I had any reason to open the hood was when I changed my oil back in November. I didn't look too closely, but there was definitely plenty of coolant then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts